Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:53 PM   #76
SoGood
macrumors regular

If it's some dramatically new screen technology, then there's bound to have been years of development and there would have been talks in engineering literature and tech media. So no, won't bother on that front. That leaves packaging with other known technologies eg. Android OS, hand/finger control interface, internet/web connection, Samsung phone/tablet connectivity features etc. Yes, it would be "new" but hardly world shattering. The key question is whether Samsung can package this product as well as Apple can and have introduced at a time that will lead to rapid market adoption?
SoGood is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:56 PM   #77
DaveN
macrumors 6502

It will be rectangular with rounded corners and Samesung will claim they are innovating!

I had a Samsung tv and returned it after struggling with their lousy support. The color was awful!
DaveN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:59 PM   #78
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

If it truly has no bezel at all, that would open up great possibilities for setting up a matrix of TV's (4x4, 9x9, etc) where the screen is divided up and expanded to generate one large image. I've seen it with other wide screens before, but that 1" bezel equated to a 2" sewer grate over your favorite show. Not any more? Hello, 200" TV!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:07 PM   #79
MacDav
Banned

There's no way they will release a "vertical TV". It's just a gimmick to draw attention. The TV will be a widescreen 3D TV most likely. An actual portrait display would be the dumbest thing ever.
MacDav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:13 PM   #80
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Whatever it is, that they're releasing, what I wanne know is, how do they keep their new products so well hidden from prying eyes and the rumor mill? Heck, they're even advertising the advent of a new product. Can't imagine APPLE maintaining this level of pre-release secrecy. Without this 'teaser' ad, who would've known?

Either a testament to SAMSUNG's 'cloaking' prowess or the inevitability of intense scrutiny surrounding everything APPLE does.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:15 PM   #81
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

Well, now I'm curious. Not a huge a Samsung fan, but want to know what this is all about.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:18 PM   #82
louis.b
Banned

Love to see MACrumors is morphing into SAMSUNG/ANDROIDrumors.
louis.b is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:42 PM   #83
alexgowers
macrumors 6502

guaranteed it'll be a bezel-less design with only pixels facing forward and i have to say that would be super cool indeed.

But knowing samsung it'll still have their UGLY logo spread across the front in massive hideous white type on a transparent bit of plastic! Yep you can almost certainly guarantee that.

This AD is horrid though it seems to just tell their view... hey this is a new hot product. Ok i'll judge that for myself samsung, you should never need to tell me anything other than why i should buy it ever. I want to know what i can do with it and what features are compelling enough for me to buy one.

I have to say samsung makes great tvs and panels but the smart bits are so poorly designed and just crap that even if this was a must buy i think i would still avoid like the plague. The just don't understand how important the OS on a TV could be. If apple ever do release a TV you can bet on it being a killer not because of any gimmick or feature but every detail being just right from design to OS. Samsung still has so much to learn.
alexgowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:53 PM   #84
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
I've had the same TV for nearly 4 years and haven't seen a reason to upgrade. I don't watch enough TV to care.

As it stands I watch more content on my iPad.
If Apple could recreate the iPad experience on my giant TV I would be all over it. I spend more time watching and browsing content on my iPad than I do my regular set.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:31 PM   #85
abuilder
macrumors newbie

Announced a year ago. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...rt-Window.html
abuilder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:55 PM   #86
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

some people need to learn there is a difference between a full blown ad and a teaser
uknowimright is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:05 PM   #87
b166er
macrumors 68020

While I think the idea of transparent displays is very cool, I can't imagine one practical use for them for an average consumer. Maybe for the military, maybe.

My TV is transparent! I can see the wall behind where it sits, which looks just like the rest of the wall!

My phone is transparent! I can see the ground when I text!

I just don't see the actual point, beyond the company flexing their engineering prowess.

Also I think the idea of a portrait TV is kind of stupid.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:31 PM   #88
cmvsm
macrumors 6502a

Must be one of the last Apple ideas Samsung was exposed to before the break up. Might as well ring in the good year with one last patent/idea infringement.
cmvsm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:45 PM   #89
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

What is this? SamsungRumors?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:47 PM   #90
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post
Must be one of the last Apple ideas Samsung was exposed to before the break up. Might as well ring in the good year with one last patent/idea infringement.
I hope you don't actually believe that, if so wow
uknowimright is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:20 PM   #91
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
Knowing Samsung I wouldn't be surprised if this "new TV" is indeed a 52" smartphone.
The voice activated TV that you call out station numbers and it displays them in squares so you can see whats on and it takes video phone calls?

LOL, they had that in the movie Back To the Future 2 which was in the late 80's? Thought that was cool then, looks like someone was ahead of their time.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendu View Post
I don't care how great the tv is, it's all about the content and the software used to access that content. Samsung might have a nice interface coming but I'm certain when apple shows us what they have been working on (for a very long time) it will be better than anything anyone else has been able to come up with.
Now that's fanboy at its finest right there. Im sure Apple will have a nice TV set eventually but c-mon. Assuming they will blow away those that have been doing it for years?
One thing will be for sure, Apples TV will cost more than anyone elses.
Vegastouch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:25 PM   #92
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Unprecedented shape? So... not a rectangle then. Okay.......
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:28 PM   #93
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Screens should be wide, as the human eye sees a far wider distance than it does tall. 16:9 makes a lot more sense than say 4:3.
imageWIS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:38 PM   #94
pantss
macrumors newbie

why is this even on this site?

is samsung the new mac?
pantss is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:01 AM   #95
handsome pete
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshambles View Post
Still looks like the new Samsung TV is going to have a bezel/border/edge (judging from the video under the screen). Fail.
Because if there's one thing that completely ruins my tv watching experience, it's a border around the picture.
handsome pete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:24 AM   #96
trip1ex
macrumors 68000

Obviously a digital painting. Not a tv.
trip1ex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:45 AM   #97
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceptVBS View Post

It's not a vertical TV.

It's a bezeless TV.
So... what does "unprecedented new TV shape" mean then?
Michael Scrip is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:27 AM   #98
tkwolf
macrumors regular

A lot of you here (not everyone though) are quite bitter about this whole samsung product launch. This site is becoming like those anti android isheep circlejerk. Samsung has a new tv every damn year, just like how apple has a new iMac, iPhone etc every damn year. Why so bitter? If some of you have not gotten over the whole patent thing then maybe it is time to get over it.
tkwolf is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:27 AM   #99
ProVideo
macrumors 6502

The music in that promo sounds like it's from 1991, not 2013. Reminds me of something from KidPix or Mario Paint.
ProVideo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:41 AM   #100
Bengt77
macrumors 68000

That promo image, with the tree, looks a lot like the leader image for Six Feet Under. But one probably has nothing do with the other, though.
Use
MRoogle!
Bengt77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion