Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:54 PM   #1
53 willys
macrumors newbie

10.5 to 10.6.3 upgrade....scared...

So I really need to update my Imac now that I have a iphone 5...I bought the snow leopard disc and I used "time machine" to backup my current set-up to an external drive...but i'm still too scared to update for fear I might loose it all....any tips for a guy who has never updated mac OS?
I even called the apple store and asked for help...they said they could get a genius to look at it to make sure the backup worked but thats about all they could do for me in the 15 min appointment.

should I be this scared?
is there a way to make sure my backup on the external drive is "good" before I erase everything?

thanks
53 willys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:56 PM   #2
ECUpirate44
Banned

You have a backup, just go for it. It's relatively safe
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:00 PM   #3
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 willys View Post
So I really need to update my Imac now that I have a iphone 5...I bought the snow leopard disc and I used "time machine" to backup my current set-up to an external drive...but i'm still too scared to update for fear I might loose it all....any tips for a guy who has never updated mac OS?
I even called the apple store and asked for help...they said they could get a genius to look at it to make sure the backup worked but thats about all they could do for me in the 15 min appointment.

should I be this scared?
is there a way to make sure my backup on the external drive is "good" before I erase everything?

thanks
There is nothing at all to be afraid of, you have created a backup. Simply follow the instructions that came with the SL DVD and you will be done in an hour or so. It's EXTREMELY easy to do.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac