Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:54 PM   #1
iSensei
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Question iPad 4 - Why didn't they redesign it?

Let's go back in time.

September: New iPhone. Iphone 5. Completely redesigned, thinner, lighter brand new lightning charger port, polished aluminum bezel etc. etc. etc.

Oct ~ Nov: iPad Mini. Thin, light, polished bezel, lightning port.
iPad 4. Same old, heavy and bulky design as iPad 2, brand new lightning port and a faster processor.

My question is since they had time to redesign the iPhone and create the iPad Mini, why couldn't they redesign the iPad 4?

Yeah, I'm sure they'll redesign it in 2013, making it lighter, thinner etc. but they could have done it with the iPad 4. It sucks thinking my $100 Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover will become obsolete as well as my iSkin $100 folio case.

I'm pretty sure they have designs laid out for the next 10 years but each year they slowly implement something "new" to justify the "new" in the "new iPad" and brainwash the masses with how great the "new" device is and mention nothing good about the old one except praising how good the new is compared to the old model.
iSensei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:57 PM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Did they really need to redesign it-
It was almost a silent bump, not anything major.
Also, the iPad Mini was not redesigned, it is a new product.
MisterKeeks is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:01 PM   #3
iSensei
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Did they really need to redesign it-
It was almost a silent bump, not anything major.
Also, the iPad Mini was not redesigned, it is a new product.
I know it was a new product...but ultimately...the full size iPad will be redesigned but again not in time.
iSensei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:01 PM   #4
s15119
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
The design is fine the way it is. Why change it?
s15119 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:06 PM   #5
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
It seems obvious that the iPad 4 was merely a necessary spec bump to stay uniform with the Lightning switch and to offer a more compelling product for the holiday season. Several people I spoke to were hesitant to ever buy the 3rd Gen because of the fact that it wasn't a substantial performance increase over the iPad 2. In hindsight, there's no denying that the A5X was only meant as a stopgap.

Yes it does suck that your accessories designed for the 2/3/4th Gen will likely be physically incompatible with the 5th generation. However, there will likely be newer more impressive peripheals available by that time.

P.S. I just picked up the same Logitech keyboard. Do you use any iPad back case along with the Logitech?
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:15 PM   #6
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a
 
paulbennett95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSensei View Post
iPad 4. Same old, heavy and bulky design as iPad 2, brand new lightning port and a faster processor.
Except the iPad2 is the lightest iPad (excluding mini)
paulbennett95 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:19 PM   #7
iSensei
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ Bottom View Post
It seems obvious that the iPad 4 was merely a necessary spec bump to stay uniform with the Lightning switch and to offer a more compelling product for the holiday season. Several people I spoke to were hesitant to ever buy the 3rd Gen because of the fact that it wasn't a substantial performance increase over the iPad 2. In hindsight, there's no denying that the A5X was only meant as a stopgap.

Yes it does suck that your accessories designed for the 2/3/4th Gen will likely be physically incompatible with the 5th generation. However, there will likely be newer more impressive peripheals available by that time.

P.S. I just picked up the same Logitech keyboard. Do you use any iPad back case along with the Logitech?
I use a "Just Mobile" stand http://www.just-mobile.com/ipad/encore.html for the iPad and the keyboard is in front of the iPad since I use a silicone case on the iPad to protect the back. I guess since the ketboard is bluetooth it will be compatible with the 5th gen. I've placed rubber feet/bumpers on the back of the logitech keyboard to protect the aluminum finish.
iSensei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:37 PM   #8
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
The question you ask suggests you think that Apple has it in them to build things as thin as they want at any time, regardless of battery size and other internals, like they've done it for one device and therefore they neglected these other devices that didn't get the same treatment.

I think there are reasons Apple devices are the sizes they are (physical constraints of the hardware), but those are all irrelevant when talking about the iPad 4, because that was an anomalous update to the device, only designed to reset the refresh cycle so that it seems "fresh" for a year, until Autumn 2013, at which time it will get a full upgrade, incorporating a feature set (and perhaps redesign) warrants a product refresh/update.
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:39 PM   #9
syd430
Guest
 
You do realise that all these products are designed by one soft spoken British guy that's trapped in the basement of their Cupertino headquarters?

Between designing new products like the ipad mini, iphone 5, retina macbook pro's and new imacs, he also spends several hours a day working on an escape tunnel he's digging out behind a shelf of discarded Thunderbolt Display prototypes in the rear quadrant of building 3.

Give the guy a break.
  17 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:41 PM   #10
drjsway
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Waiting for IZGO to redesign.
drjsway is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:42 PM   #11
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
You do realise that all these products are designed by one bald guy with a British accent that's trapped in the basement of their Cupertino headquarters?

Between designing new products like the ipad mini, iphone 5, retina macbook pro's and new imacs, he also spends several hours a day working on an escape tunnel he's digging out behind a shelf of discarded Thunderbolt Display prototypes in the rear quadrant of building 3.

Give the guy a break.
I thought he had a team working with him
Che Castro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:43 PM   #12
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
Except the iPad2 is the lightest iPad (excluding mini)
Curious how the new iPad will stack up versus the thickness and weight of the 2nd gen. It has to be one of the best designs on the market considering its overall size.
AppleRobert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:53 PM   #13
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSensei View Post
I'm pretty sure they have designs laid out for the next 10 years but each year they slowly implement something "new" to justify the "new" in the "new iPad" and brainwash the masses with how great the "new" device is and mention nothing good about the old one except praising how good the new is compared to the old model.
You should be good to go then... since you are aware of their tactics, just avoid the brainwash of the next product and keep what you have with all of your accessories
Problem solved
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:42 PM   #14
iSensei
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
You do realise that all these products are designed by one soft spoken British guy that's trapped in the basement of their Cupertino headquarters?

Between designing new products like the ipad mini, iphone 5, retina macbook pro's and new imacs, he also spends several hours a day working on an escape tunnel he's digging out behind a shelf of discarded Thunderbolt Display prototypes in the rear quadrant of building 3.

Give the guy a break.
lol. Jony Ive looks malnourished.
iSensei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:55 PM   #15
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
If you upgrade from the iPad 3 to the iPad 4...you have no reason to complain about the iPad 5 coming in March.

If you kept your iPad 3 because you were smart, a redesigned iPad 5 is your reward for your patience.

If you got the iPad 4 for a gift, your going to enjoy it a lot and it won't be outdated for a long time.
irDigital0l is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:21 PM   #16
88Keys
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
If you upgrade from the iPad 3 to the iPad 4...you have no reason to complain about the iPad 5 coming in March.

If you kept your iPad 3 because you were smart, a redesigned iPad 5 is your reward for your patience.

If you got the iPad 4 for a gift, your going to enjoy it a lot and it won't be outdated for a long time.
IF an iPad 5 comes in March.
__________________
“When you play music you discover a part of yourself that you never knew existed.” ~ Bill Evans
88Keys is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:22 PM   #17
Ubele
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSensei View Post
My question is since they had time to redesign the iPhone and create the iPad Mini, why couldn't they redesign the iPad 4?
Not enough design resources? Limitations with the current technology (i.e., the battery needs to be a certain size to adequately power the Retina display)?

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure they'll redesign it in 2013, making it lighter, thinner etc. but they could have done it with the iPad 4.
How do you know that? Do you have the necessary engineering background and insight into Apple's design processes?

Quote:
It sucks thinking my $100 Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover will become obsolete as well as my iSkin $100 folio case.
That's why I keep my iDevice accessory purchases to a minimum. But how would the situation be different if they'd redesigned the iPad 4? You'd buy accessories for it. Then Apple would redesign either the iPad 5 or 6, and your iPad 4 accessories would be obsolete if you chose to upgrade.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they have designs laid out for the next 10 years
You really believe that? I don't think any high-tech roadmaps go out that far, because of the rate at which technology changes.

Quote:
but each year they slowly implement something "new" to justify the "new" in the "new iPad" and brainwash the masses with how great the "new" device is and mention nothing good about the old one except praising how good the new is compared to the old model.
You're saying you're brainwashed, then? Because you said your iPad accessories will become obsolete when the next iPad comes out. If it's just brainwashing, then hang onto your iPad 4 for as long as it's useful. That's what I plan to do with mine. I love it, having recently upgraded from my iPad 1.
Ubele is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:28 PM   #18
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Keys View Post
IF an iPad 5 comes in March.
Yes, if but there's a good probability.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:28 PM   #19
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubele View Post
Limitations with the current technology (i.e., the battery needs to be a certain size to adequately power the Retina display)?
How do you know that? Do you have the necessary engineering background and insight into Apple's design processes?
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:34 PM   #20
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
How do you know that? Do you have the necessary engineering background and insight into Apple's design processes?
Are you saying the battery doesn't need to be a certain size to power the screen?
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:34 PM   #21
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Is it possible they didn't redesign it so as not to really piss off 3rd gen iPad owners? Or maybe they're saving the new design for when they're able to make the iPad thinner and lighter?
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:34 PM   #22
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
If you upgrade from the iPad 3 to the iPad 4...you have no reason to complain about the iPad 5 coming in March.

If you kept your iPad 3 because you were smart, a redesigned iPad 5 is your reward for your patience.

If you got the iPad 4 for a gift, your going to enjoy it a lot and it won't be outdated for a long time.
This is good sense. It's safe to say that iPad 3-5 will enjoy most if not all of the new iOS 7 features. Typically those excluded are related to hardware, and I haven't seen any major hardware predictions (aside from display improvements and design/weight changes which obviously don't impact the OS).
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:45 PM   #23
WhiteIphone5
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSensei View Post
Let's go back in time.

September: New iPhone. Iphone 5. Completely redesigned, thinner, lighter brand new lightning charger port, polished aluminum bezel etc. etc. etc.

Oct ~ Nov: iPad Mini. Thin, light, polished bezel, lightning port.
iPad 4. Same old, heavy and bulky design as iPad 2, brand new lightning port and a faster processor.

My question is since they had time to redesign the iPhone and create the iPad Mini, why couldn't they redesign the iPad 4?

Yeah, I'm sure they'll redesign it in 2013, making it lighter, thinner etc. but they could have done it with the iPad 4. It sucks thinking my $100 Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover will become obsolete as well as my iSkin $100 folio case.

I'm pretty sure they have designs laid out for the next 10 years but each year they slowly implement something "new" to justify the "new" in the "new iPad" and brainwash the masses with how great the "new" device is and mention nothing good about the old one except praising how good the new is compared to the old model.
You spent $100 in a case? Oh my
WhiteIphone5 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:36 PM   #24
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIphone5 View Post
You spent $100 in a case? Oh my
.

Last edited by syd430; Jan 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Was being an **s
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:11 PM   #25
lokster
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
no redesign, and they cannot lose the weight unless they figure out how to make a huge retina display low power. Hence the battery size and the weight

although the screen is awesome it does get warm after prolonged used
__________________
iPad 3 32Gb white JB iOS 7.0
iPhone 5S 32Gb white JB iOS 7.1.1
Macbook Pro 13" 2010 2.4Ghz 12GB RAM,1TB HD
iPod Nano 6th Gen 8Gb + LunaTik Strap
lokster is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad music app redesign AdamC93 iOS 7 2 Jan 21, 2014 09:44 PM
Skype for iPhone and iPad Updated With iOS 7 Redesign MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 31 Oct 8, 2013 03:50 AM
New iPad 5 Case Consistent with Rumored Mini-Style Redesign MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 116 Apr 9, 2013 01:23 PM
IMDb Updates iPad App with Complete Redesign MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 8 Dec 26, 2012 02:27 PM
If I didn't already have an iPad 3 kannesss iPad 1 Oct 27, 2012 01:50 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC