Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone5.jpg
TheNextWeb reports that at least one iOS app developer has already spotted references to the next iPhone and iOS 7 in their app logs.
One developer showed us that Apple has been testing hardware relating to a new 'iPhone6,1? identifier, powered by a device running iOS 7, which is expected to be released by Apple in the middle part of this year.
For reference, the current iPhone 5 carries an "iPhone5,1" and "iPhone5,2" identifiers. The specific entries were associated with Apple campus IP addresses, making it more likely they were legitimate entries.

Apple first announced iOS 6 at WWDC 2012 in June. iOS 6 was then released to the public in September. The iPhone 5 was also launched in September 2012.

There have been few hints about what might be expected in iOS 7 and the next generation iPhone, though there have been persistent rumors of Apple investigating the use of Near Field Communication for payments. Other rumors have suggested that the 2013 iPhone could arrive earlier than expected with a mid-year launch rather than later in the year.

Update: Letemsvetemapplem.eu let us know that they had seen iOS 7 in their weblogs. Looking at MacRumors analytics, we found that iOS 7 visits here starting in December:

visits.jpg

Article Link: 2013 iPhone and iOS 7 Already Appearing in Developer's Logs

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I guess I'm in the minority of people who thinks Apple shouldn't be slaves to a 12 month release cycle. The iPhone 5 is amazing in terms of its hardware and it would be great if they just kept releasing new phones as and when they develop the technology for it, to keep everybody else on their toes.

The problem with releasing a new iPhone at this time, of course, will be 'what to call it' … the naming could get a little silly and confuse consumers.

Needless to say, I'll wait until 2014 to get my iPhone 8S ;)

alohamade

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
This may seem like an idea that's too out there, but what if Apple, starting this year, began doing minor "S" (5S) updates in the middle of June, while doing major upgrades (6) in October/the Fall?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I got it! Instead of fixing OS X and iOS bugs, lets speed up the release cycles. Who cares if 10.7 and 10.8 are right awful when we can brush them under the rug with a "new" and "magical" update! Let's lower the price too, instead of $19.99 we'll make it $19.98! Now it's even more affordable!

Um, no. I just... can't...

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Yea they are going to need a pretty big revamp and some nice features to gain more market share.

I wonder if they will be discontinuing any of the old ios support.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Show us what you've got Ive
If this report is true he hasn't has a lot of time has he? I mean Cook's re-org was announced end of October. And how much really gets done in December with the Holidays and people being on vacation?

leesmith2

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
Here's what I want to see in iOS 7...

1. Weather on the lock screen (at the very least)
2. Camera app also snaps QR codes
3. Vehicle mode - no texting if device is moving > 5 mph
4. Better POI on Maps
5. Siri SDK
6. Siri Translation (translates from English to French, for example)
7. NFC
8. Apple TV SDK
9. PowerNap
10. Split screen mode on iPad (use two apps at same time)
11. Real multi-tasking (per app basis, use Settings to activate)
12. LinkedIn Integration (especially with Contacts)
13. iCloud Printing - accesses printer drivers in iCloud to print on any printer on the network
14. Combine Newsstand and iBooks (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, PDFs)
15. Bike paths on Maps or Better Routing App integration
16. iPad style clocks on iPhone

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
What are the 'few hints' that have been suggested for iOS7 then?? I really can't wait :p

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
Here's what I want to see in iOS 7...

1. Weather on the lock screen (at the very least)
2. Camera app also snaps QR codes
3. Vehicle mode - no texting if device is moving > 5 mph
4. Better POI on Maps
5. Siri SDK
6. Siri Translation (translates from English to French, for example)
7. NFC
8. Apple TV SDK
9. PowerNap
10. Split screen mode on iPad (use two apps at same time)
11. Real multi-tasking (per app basis, use Settings to activate)
12. LinkedIn Integration (especially with Contacts)
13. iCloud Printing - accesses printer drivers in iCloud to print on any printer on the network
14. Combine Newsstand and iBooks (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, PDFs)
15. Bike paths on Maps or Better Routing App integration
16. iPad style clocks on iPhone

I can honestly say I want almost none of these.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I'm tired of all the iOS and itoys news.

Not because I prefer Mac news... but because the iOS news is the same thing EVERY YEAR! :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.