Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:55 PM   #151
xdxdaustin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohamade View Post
This may seem like an idea that's too out there, but what if Apple, starting this year, began doing minor "S" (5S) updates in the middle of June, while doing major upgrades (6) in October/the Fall?
Thats a fantasic idea! If they did that, I'd do the 5S closer to the 6th month mark release of the 5, rather than so close to the 6
xdxdaustin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:57 PM   #152
irDigital0l

Why is everyone calling it iPhone 6?

Business Insider
Gizmodo
Cult of Mac
The Verge
TechCrunch
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:03 PM   #153
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
Ive is going to roll out a Post-phone era iPhone, no screen, just a hunk of machined aluminium and glass that vibrates slightly to tell you your having a call, which you wont be able to take on the device itself, because thats a feature no one uses there mobile phone for anymore, but its ok, because it will cost $2000 plus $100 a month with a contact for the life of you , your children and your grandchildren's life span.

ive gone back to carrying a plain old non-smart phone , it makes calls, texts and has the battery life of a week not a day.. for all the stuff i used to do on my "smart phone", well, im moving that to a 7" android tablet because it fits in my jacket pocket and i can carry that around for the day for browsing and email, and the larger screen is great.

iPhone, even with the slightly taller screen, is just too small to do everything that the smartphone has evolved into, and the iPad Mini, they just missed out on that being the right size for jacket pockets,

an iPhone every 8-6 months or less is going to pee people off no end, unless the two year contracts drop back down to 12 months but the prices stay the same.
Jacket pocket? Don Draper! Is that you?
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:08 PM   #154
b166er
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post

Business Insider
Gizmodo
Cult of Mac
The Verge
TechCrunch
Because it's that special time of year where people begin to churn the rumor mill and then argue for 9 months or so about what the next iPhone will be called. Guarantee there will be a hundred threads all claiming why the next phone will have to be called iPhone 5s, or iPhone 6, or iPhone 7, or just simply "iPhone"
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:08 PM   #155
Ram27
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith2 View Post
Here's what I want to see in iOS 7...

3. Vehicle mode - no texting if device is moving > 5 mph
I can't imagine them being able to do that.

What about trains, busses, taxis, etc?
Ram27 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:17 PM   #156
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

TheNextWeb reports that at least one iOS app developer has already spotted references to the next iPhone and iOS 7 in their app logs.For reference, the current iPhone 5 carries an "iPhone5,1" and "iPhone5,2" identifiers. The specific entries were associated with Apple campus IP addresses, making it more likely they were legitimate entries.

Apple first announced iOS 6 at WWDC 2012 in June. iOS 6 was then released to the public in September. The iPhone 5 was also launched in September 2012.

There have been few hints about what might be expected in iOS 7 and the next generation iPhone, though there have been persistent rumors of Apple investigating the use of Near Field Communication for payments. Other rumors have suggested that the 2013 iPhone could arrive earlier than expected with a mid-year launch rather than later in the year.

Update: Letemsvetemapplem.eu let us know that they had seen iOS 7 in their weblogs. Looking at MacRumors analytics, we found that iOS 7 visits here starting in December:

Article Link: 2013 iPhone and iOS 7 Already Appearing in Developer's Logs
Well at least we know what all future iphones will look like
winston1236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:35 PM   #157
2IS
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
You really need to buy two. They are personal and not to be shared.
You don't really need to buy two if there was something as simple as profiles on there. Unless of course, you have a good explanation of why "they are personal and not to be shared" Or is this another one of those arguments that simply exist because Apple Inc. is doing the thinking for you?

Last edited by 2IS; Jan 19, 2013 at 03:10 AM.
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:51 PM   #158
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a

It makes sense we are seeing iOS 7 in the wild now as they need to get it ready for WWDC in 6 months. I think we are going to see either a very solid dev preview at WWDC with a summer release or even a full release at WWDC. I have a feeling there is a sense of urgency at Apple to fix/change what is wrong with iOS 6 along with a redesign of some interface elements.
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:59 PM   #159
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

In my opinion, the entire OS can use a serious overhaul. Maybe this urgency of development for the new iOS is a sign of a major change?
tekboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:03 PM   #160
Irock619
macrumors 65816

No matter how many "cool" features Apple has with their new iOS I will still jailbreak no matter what
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:20 PM   #161
WatchTheThrone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBF View Post
iOS 7 wish list:

- default apps (open with...)
- hide/remove native apps
- iPhone multi-touch gestures
- Mail rules/filters
- locking home screen layout (to prevent accidental icon wiggling)
- password-protect any app
- mass-check for iMessage-enabled contacts (e.g., blue circle next to a contact?)
- access some phone settings from the lock screen/notification center
- 'clear all' button in the notification center
- swipe from the very bottom to reveal app switcher
- free icon positioning on home screen (allowing empty grids)
- Apple's standalone dictionary app + built-in translator
You pretty much described my jailbroken iPhone 4S lol
WatchTheThrone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:25 PM   #162
Jaasen Jones
macrumors member

Quote:

1. Weather on the lock screen (at the very least)
2. Camera app also snaps QR codes
4. Better POI on Maps
5. Siri SDK
6. Siri Translation (translates from English to French, for example)
7. NFC
8. Apple TV SDK
9. PowerNap
10. Split screen mode on iPad (use two apps at same time)
11. Real multi-tasking (per app basis, use Settings to activate)
12. LinkedIn Integration (especially with Contacts)
13. iCloud Printing - accesses printer drivers in iCloud to print on any printer on the network
14. Combine Newsstand and iBooks (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, PDFs)
15. Bike paths on Maps or Better Routing App integration
16. iPad style clocks on iPhone
How does number 3 work if you're not the one driving?
Jaasen Jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:26 PM   #163
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
'inevitable' glitches? iOS 6 hardly offered any features, and it's been 3 months since it was released, any glitches present at this moment isnt inevitable, it just shows sloppiness

Slowdowns? I thought apple fanboys brag about how smooth iOS is, why do you make it sound like a slow down is acceptable? if the OS was changed in radical ways (e.g. iCloud in iOS 5) and slowed down older devices, then it's understandable, but that's not the case with iOS 6. btw, try loading up the 'top 25' list on the retina iPad on your ios 6 app store, it takes ages.

I dont need to assume anything, but if im having problems even after clean installation of iOS 6, i'd imagine other people to have similar experiences.
must be dark and gloomy in the isle of negativity? If its that bad why are you posting if you already believe it will be ****?
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:45 PM   #164
robbyx
macrumors 6502

Quote:

4. Better POI on Maps
5. Siri SDK
7. NFC
8. Apple TV SDK
9. PowerNap
13. iCloud Printing - accesses printer drivers in iCloud to print on any printer on the network
Some great suggestions. A few comments...

1. Yes!

2. Does anyone use QR codes???

3. What about passengers? This is a silly idea.

4. This will happen in time and it won't be limited to iOS7. In the meantime, you are free to download Google Maps.

5-6. I'd welcome both of these as well, although I can't say that I use Siri much.

7. Not interested

8. Yes! But there's more to an Apple TV SDK than simply adding an SDK. What about the interface? How will one control the device? Let's not forget that, using AirPlay, one can already use one's TV to mirror the iOS device's screen. It's pretty obvious to anyone not living under a rock that Apple has TV plans. But I suspect that WHEN the Apple TV set (and, I suspect, upgraded Apple TV box too) finally arrives, it will be a complete rebirth of Apple TV, not merely the addition of an SDK.

9. Not sure I understand the benefit of this one...

10. Very good idea. I'd find this quite useful.

11. I'm curious about this one. What are you doing on your iOS device that requires "real" multi-tasking? It's not like you're ripping DVDs or encoding video in the background...

12. Couldn't care less, but I'm sure some people would love this.

13. Interesting idea. I assume you mean printing to one's printers that are connected to Macs/PCs registered to one's iCloud account? I could see this being somewhat useful. But how often do you really need to print something when you aren't on your own network?

14. I don't like the idea of Newsstand and iBooks being combined. That said, I really wish Newsstand sucked less. I hate how every magazine has a different interface for downloading/buying. I also hate how magazines don't automatically download. A lot of magazines don't allow for simultaneous downloads. Magazines were one of the main reasons I finally bought an iPad and I must say that I find the entire experience sub-paar. I expected a lot better. The Economist has a GREAT interface. Freeskier allows multiple simultaneous downloads. Newsweek, Wired, and a few others I get totally suck in the interface department.

15. Good suggestion.

16. Totally indifferent to this one.

I'm getting a little tired of the mobile OS wars, to be honest. The word "innovation" has become totally meaningless. Every mundane feature is now an "innovation." At some point, a thing is what it is. I feel that people are such slaves to getting something NEW every year that they don't really even care what it is or if it's actually good, useful, or necessary. There isn't really much that I want from iOS that it doesn't already offer, either via the OS directly or third party apps. That said, here's my list:

1. Better stylus support. I want to take notes on my iPad and the current stylus options SUCK. I want a fine point like a ballpoint pen. Every iOS note-taking app I've tried has totally lagged when writing. I've actually considered a Galaxy Note for this very reason.

2. Brightness control in the application switcher on the iPhone (like the iPad).

3. Someone else mentioned an altimeter and temperature sensor and I agree. I use my iPhone on long backpacking trips for navigation, tracking my route, etc. Coupled with a PowerFilm solar charger, it's an awesome backcountry tool. Adding a few more sensors to the iPhone and iPad would take it from very good to downright excellent. I plan to take my new iPad mini into the backcountry from now on. The bigger screen is great for mapping and I don't think it weighs any more than my iPhone 4. It feels lighter to me.

4. I want the ability to remove Apple apps that I don't use. If I really need them again, why can't I just download them from the App Store?

5. I'd like to see files grouped by type and accessible to all apps that can read that type of file. If I have a bunch of PDFs on my iPad, every app that can work with PDFs should be able to see them. This is, of course, the beginning of the slippery slope to an actual filesystem and I know that's not what Apple wants.

6. Mail rules and filtering! If I've got rules set up in Mail.app on my Mac, why can't iOS simply mirror them? Even better, server-side iCloud rules. Edit on any device and rules/filters are updated on all devices.

Hmmm...that's about all I can think of right now. Overall, I'm very happy with iOS.
robbyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:47 PM   #165
mdlooker
macrumors 6502a

This just seems to me that this would be the farthest thing Steve would do. These accelerated releases without giving the existing iOS it's best effort through meaningful and impactful updates just seems so impersonal. Maybe it's just me.
mdlooker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:48 PM   #166
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

So I can't text if I'm a passenger? What if I'm on a train? No thanks!

Weather on lock screen would be nice. Only if I can toggle that function.

Quote:

4. Better POI on Maps
5. Siri SDK
7. NFC
8. Apple TV SDK
9. PowerNap
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:05 AM   #167
robbyx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post
In my opinion, the entire OS can use a serious overhaul. Maybe this urgency of development for the new iOS is a sign of a major change?
Why? Just curious. I hear people say that iOS needs an overhaul, is stale, etc. but I rarely hear any reasons. I think the relentless mobile OS updates have created the (erroneous) belief that new/different is somehow always better.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I can't imagine them being able to do that.

What about trains, busses, taxis, etc?
AT&T offers an app for Blackberry and Android that sends an automatic reply to texts when driving. This would be a nice option to have.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
While I know this is a bit off-topic, I couldn't resist adding my .02: Know this isn't going to happen, but add multiple (redundant) Time Machine back-ups to SL, like ML has, and I venture to guess, APPLE will have a lot of happy customers. I will definitely be a happy camper.
Oh, and while you're at it APPLE, please allow us the choice to go back to iTunes 10.7, without having to jump through hoops.

Call me a Luddite, but 'new' isn't always better. Choice is good!
I just want Time Machine to backup to iCloud. I'm happy to pay for backup storage space.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
On and on. Apple has their collective arses up their iOS butts, more focused on Facebook and Twitter social networking integration and less focus on a solid OS X experience. God I miss Bertrand Serlet, since he left after 10.6 OS X has seen a drop in overall quality under its new "leadership". I haven't seen so many opened and unresolved bugs with OS X developers in all my years, much more than 10.6. Many wish Apple would go back to 10.6 and earlier beta releases, releasing a beta.dmg every 2 weeks and requiring a fresh install each time. This certainly seemed to alleviate any issues with DP's releases over existing installs. Moving OS X to an annual release date to match iOS is a big mistake.
AGREED!!! MacOS is really being neglected. 10.6 was pretty bulletproof for me. 10.7 was a mess. 10.8 is an improvement, but I'm still having more issues with my Mac than I've ever had since switching to OS X from Classic. I've been an Apple loyalist for nearly 30 years now and used NEXTSTEP back in the day as well. I was very excited to see NeXT's technology find a home at Apple and for a while things were great. But now, not so much, unfortunately. Apple needs to take the Mac OS, not just the hardware, seriously again.
robbyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:23 AM   #168
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
My guess right now is that the next iPhone will look like the current iPhone 5, but add one additional feature: NFC.

Why? Two major developments will make NFC viable on a large scale:

1. The widening rollout of the Isis mobile payment system--one that has the support of all the major credit car companies and a number of major banks. Already, a number of cellphones are ready for Isis mobile payments, including the Samsung Galaxy S III and Nokia 920--all they need are software upgrades.

2. The huge announcement that all the major smart card payment systems for the largest transit systems in Japan will be fully cross-compatible in terms of usage starting March 13, 2013. That will means if your mobile phone has NFC mobile payments for transit systems (e.g., JR East Suica, JR Central Toica, JR West Icoca, and so on), they'll work almost anywhere there are NFC payment terminals.

Both of these developments means a potential huge uptick in NFC mobile payment usage. I don't think Apple wants to be left behind when Android and Windows Phone 8 devices take advantage of these changes.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:26 AM   #169
musio
macrumors 68000

I would rather no iOS 7 and apple focus their efforts into OSX. I use my desktop far more than my phone. My eyes would fall off if I sat behind a 4" screen all day opposed to a real computer that needs stable software.
musio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:27 AM   #170
Bchagey
macrumors 6502

In some households iPads are replacing desktops and laptop, so to be able to log in to different user accounts that have their personal home page and apps would be nice.
Widgets please
More lock screen options

Would be nice to slide the notification menu down and toggle Bluetooth and wifi and airplane mode.
Bchagey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:37 AM   #171
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8281 View Post
Like a new app switcher/multitasking function and app store for Apple TV?
Personally I could do without either. Especially if it's an app switcher like the hacks that have been going around. outside of the option to do a down swipe to close apps (and it should be an option), those hacks were ugly to me.

And I see no point in an app store for the Apple TV. There's few apps that would be appropriate to a TV and those should be added by Apple to the software as the deals are in place to allow us direct subscriptions (ie, sans needing a cable subscription). Everything else can be handled via AirPlay off our devices in my opinion.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheying7 View Post
So does this mean we will get a developer preview of iOS 7 in March?
Unlikely.

This new isn't anything shocking. They will be testing iOS 7 for an easy six months before they let developers have it. And testing the hardware about the same before they lock things in.

Likely the same every year. Just now folks have found that they can get attention by reporting that they noticed this testing in their logs. It's the new "unnamed sources close the matter"

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungiefan89 View Post
I'm tired of all the iOS and itoys news.

Not because I prefer Mac news... but because the iOS news is the same thing EVERY YEAR! :/
No one made you read it. So if you are sick of it, why did you.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmccormick View Post
What I have wanted since the first iPad is a way for my wife and I to have separate logins so our stuff isn't intermingled.
Not likely to ever happen. If it was it would happened after this hue and cry started with the original iPad.

Like it or not but it seems rather clear that Apple is viewing iOS devices as single user. And it will likely stay that way as Apple pushes more and more into turning a device for every use into a device for every user (covering multiple uses)
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:37 AM   #172
ilovemyibook
macrumors regular

Quote:

4. Better POI on Maps
5. Siri SDK
7. NFC
8. Apple TV SDK
9. PowerNap
#3- What if you're a passenger in a car, or if you're on a train?
ilovemyibook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:46 AM   #173
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
I always thought Ive delt more on the hardware design side. And less on the software side. But I could be wrong.
He DID. Until Forstall was ****canned for the utter crap that iOS 6 was on first release and Sir Jony was put in charge of all interface design, both hardware and software.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
I hope Apple is moving back to the June launch schedule for iPhone!
Highly unlikely. WWDC is THE time to release developer previews as it is the developers conference and Apple's preference seems to be clearly to release the new software and new hardware for the phone (if not soon all iOS devices) at the same time.

Expect the Fall release of the iPhone and iPad to stay for the next few years if not for good.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post
I hope you like being outrageously charged after your contract is up. When I called them to ask if my bill would go down now that my contract was up and the phone was "paid for", I simply asked what the point of not being on a contract and being month to month is, their answer "You can leave at any point since you're month to month". Wow, really???
Yep really. Until someone has the balls to take the issue to court, the FCC etc US carriers will keep this up.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia820 View Post
I think we might see ios7 in March when the new ipads come out.
IF ipads come out at any point in the spring. The whole iPad 4 thing could have been a move to reposition the annual launch to pre holiday since the iPad is becoming a hot gift item.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:48 AM   #174
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post

Business Insider
Gizmodo
Cult of Mac
The Verge
TechCrunch
Because iPhone 5S doesn't get the same number of search hits as iPhone 6. Some people are also hoping that it's not called 5S because it looks a little like 55 while others are hoping for a redesign that moves away from the iPhone 4 design (my hope). It would also be nice if it was less scratch-prone.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:50 AM   #175
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by villanova329 View Post
Powernap? Every phone in the world has powernap. It's called turn off your screen and the radio still catches your calls and texts. :/
I think he was going more of the whole "it will download and install updates automatically" part.

Which on the surface sounds great but in reality one of the biggest times to have your iOS device go bonk is iOS updates. the last thing anyone would want is for it to do so behind your back. Especially if you are one of those paranoid types that refused to use iCloud backups and you haven't synced to the computer lately.

So IF it was included it would need to be optional and frankly I don't think many folks would turn it on, just like they don't turn on iCloud backups.

If the devices even have the processor power to make something like Powernap feasible.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Wrong person then. It's Craig Federighi. Ive won't have much to do with iOS 7 other than his opposition to skeuomorphism, unless it's related to hardware in some way.
Unless you work for Apple you can't say that because you have no way of knowing this to be true or false. And if you do work for Apple and are in a position to know, you'll likely not be for much longer.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion