Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:52 PM   #26
duhyes
macrumors member

all post about iphone 5s/6 are useless.. they release a new iphone every year... iphone 4s last year iphone 4 year before that?

They're going to be the same thing, bigger screen, better camera? better Ios more faster
duhyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:20 PM   #27
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
OP has a good theory, but there's another possibility. Apple may be testing iOS 7 for a summer release. It could be launched with a new iPad, or maybe even on its own (I know this would be unprecedented, but Apple may be eager to put iOS 6 behind them after all the negativity it has gotten). That way they could "freshen up" iOS to keep people satisfied during the long wait until October when the 5S is released. It would also help them stay fresh just as the new Samsung Galaxy S4 is being released. Just another possibility.
Everything is possible. All I'm saying is iOS 7 has shown up, and history indicates that we can see a new iPhone as soon as June.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:31 PM   #28
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
If there's anything they first teach you when doing something that involves business, is that the market share in TURNOVER and/or PROFIT counts.
No. What counts is future profit expectations and that is driven by growth.

Pretty soon we will reach a point where eveyone who wants an iPhone will have one (or two). What will Apple do then?

The smartphone market is rapidly reaching the point where the current technology is "good enough" for most people. At that point things will only go down.

Samsung is in a position to take advantage of that. Apple is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Apple will NEVER revert back to being a "niche" player. It's impossible at this point. They are too big. They are also in 1st place by a mile. They are not worrying about catching up, or releasing products faster because of competition. All they have to do is keep improving at a nice easy pace.
This is exactly what Nokia thought five years ago.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:55 PM   #29
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post

This is exactly what Nokia thought five years ago.
Who's to say that Samsung wont be the one to fall. No one stays at #1 forever. Look at Nokia, and Moto before them.
ftaok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:18 PM   #30
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

My guess is that they would release the "5s" this Summer, then release a (majorly overhauled) 6 next Fall. Seems to me that it would be easier to release a phone with improved specs on a shorter time table, then take a little extra time in releasing a majorly redesigned phone. 100% speculation just like everyone else though.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:34 PM   #31
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

More and more rumors are pointing to a June/July launch. It looks like we're going back to the old schedule.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:59 AM   #32
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

What about a March launch? Is that possible?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:34 AM   #33
dazed
macrumors 6502a

For me, ios 7 is key. Everyone know the 5S will be the same but faster. It's the OS that's in need of a refresh not the phone.

How many times will people upgrade a phone with the same old os on it. It's time to use some of that processing power to enhance the user experience.
dazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:29 AM   #34
yegon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
For me, ios 7 is key. Everyone know the 5S will be the same but faster. It's the OS that's in need of a refresh not the phone.

How many times will people upgrade a phone with the same old os on it. It's time to use some of that processing power to enhance the user experience.
Yep. I've a Note with Jelly Bean on it, very pleasant, I just prefer iOS though. Speed wise, my 5 absolutely flies but the lack of jailbreak means it feels like a Ferrari limited to 56mph. Wasn't a heavy jailbreaker, only used a few tweaks, but maaaan, my 5 feels like a real step back from my old jb'd 4 in software terms. Zephyr, Switchy, NCSettings, Activator, how I miss you so ;_;

I'm contract free, the only reason I'd upgrade is for a bigger screen but that's not going to happen until at least iPhone 6 I expect. 4.5" 1920x1280 screen please, or thereabouts.
yegon is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:33 AM   #35
sagar4995
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yegon View Post
Speed wise, my 5 absolutely flies but the lack of jailbreak means it feels like a Ferrari limited to 56mph. Wasn't a heavy jailbreaker, only used a few tweaks, but maaaan, my 5 feels like a real step back from my old jb'd 4 in software terms. Zephyr
couldn't have put it any better myself!! i'd prefer an OS overhaul than hardware changes.
Instagram ID - SagarChablani
sagar4995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:36 PM   #36
loybond
macrumors regular

I'm not sure if it's really that iPhones aren't selling that well, if Apple over-ordered, or if a new iPhone isn't far off, but what I do know is Best Buy is selling the iPhone 5 32GB for $199 in Canada. Regular price is $279 (and the 16GB is $179).
loybond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:04 PM   #37
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

iOS 7 concept.

Oh, and there are more rumours that Apple might be considering a June launch for the iPhone 5S (and thus iOS 7).
Old Mar 21, 2013, 04:26 PM   #38
rMBP13
Banned

June/July launch for the iPhone 5S is simply inevitable
rMBP13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:42 PM   #39
irDigital0l

Quote:
YouTube: video

iOS 7 concept.

Oh, and there are more rumours that Apple might be considering a June launch for the iPhone 5S (and thus iOS 7).
June 10th...WWDC?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1559404
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:43 PM   #40
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

IMO ios7 will not be as big as an update as people think, especially with the iphone 5 just being a minor upgrade. ios8 with the iPhone 6 will likely be when a real change in the os will occur.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:51 PM   #41
Commy1
macrumors 6502a

If it does come out in June then great I'm sure they're capable of it IF they use the iPhone 5 chassis. I highly doubt that a brand new design iPhone will launch in June. I think it will be a i5S. I think... that all the hype on this thread and from those stories are people looking for something to look forward to, and possibly to excite buyers into purchasing the low Apple stock. That seems more likely.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:52 PM   #42
sauder
Banned

I would be so happy if they didn't release an iPhone this year. They need to fix the iPhones that are already out. They have all kinds of bugs.
sauder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 06:05 PM   #43
Commy1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post

The smartphone market is rapidly reaching the point where the current technology is "good enough" for most people. At that point things will only go down.

I couldn't agree more, the current processing power of iPhones is awesome and even if they do release a new phone what can we expect, maybe another 100-200mhz of speed? Pfffft From a technological stand point, there is only so much a processor inside a sealed, none ventilated product can do before it gets too much. I think we've come to that point with the iPhone 5 and many other products for that matter. Anything after, until we get an amazing invention of materials or method that will revolutionize computing it won't get a whole lot better.

Samsung products are cheaper to make and when it comes to actually selling their product, they seem to get their stuff out A LOT faster than Apple. 5,000,000 iPhones sold in 1 weekend is huge, but if your instantly depleted after that then what's the point... People in that "good enough" category probably won't stick around to wait weeks or months for their phone to arrive (only to find it scratched up due to poor quality control)

If Apple wanted to be in the position to make more products at the cost of quality and detail (which they excel at) then Steve would have set up the company that way when he came back. I think the branching point was the 3G/3GS where the back was plastic, but solid and that was great because everything is plastic in this world... They could have continued with that and no one would have said anything, but instead they went high end with glass and aluminum, not that that is a problem, just that it prevents uber mass production.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
IMO ios7 will not be as big as an update as people think, especially with the iphone 5 just being a minor upgrade. ios8 with the iPhone 6 will likely be when a real change in the os will occur.
I disagree, we've had the same looking OS since day 1 with them piling more features in with each OS afterwards. I think if they want to keep their clients interested and actually using their software then they have to break the mold soon and why not in June?
I have no idea what exactly they could change... but here's hoping. I'm kind of hoping for a more Round feature, circular.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 06:09 PM   #44
Cody21
macrumors 6502a

You, sir, are onto something. I especially agree with you about supply. Seeing how it took so long to catch up to demand for the iPhone 5, they could easily release one in June (maybe July) and have time to catch up with demand before the holiday season begins. Nice catch btw.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 06:42 PM   #45
Cody21
macrumors 6502a

Did I miss something? Cause I can't find where MacRumors reported this bit of information.

**nevermind, I done a search and found the article was from January 1st. My bad.**

Last edited by Cody21; Mar 21, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
Cody21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:39 PM   #46
bushman4
macrumors 65816

Depends on whether Apple has enough inventory ready, as well as readiness of IOS7.
Time will tell no guarantees............remember this is Apple we are trying to figure out.
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:13 AM   #47
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

An iPhone 5S in June, eh? Then I guess my first ever iPhone purchase (which was gonna be in the coming weeks) will have to put on hold. And the 5 looked so nice, too.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:32 AM   #48
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
One big difference now. Steve Jobs is dead. Tim Cook is in charge. Apple now revolves on Tim's schedule. iPhone 5 sold more phones in fall than what the of earlier iphones sold in the summer. Tim's job is to keep the shareholders happy. Fall is the money making season for smartphones.
CEO's don't have as much power in a company as you seem to think. They are in charge but they have a board, shareholders and many other employees to answer to. The boards desires can also be held up by delays in production etc.
macingman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 05:24 PM   #49
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
CEO's don't have as much power in a company as you seem to think. They are in charge but they have a board, shareholders and many other employees to answer to. The boards desires can also be held up by delays in production etc.
Yep, but in the past, and I'm not sure if that is still the case, Steve Jobs as CEO made all the calls and there was no one who was even thinking of going against him.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:10 PM   #50
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yep, but in the past, and I'm not sure if that is still the case, Steve Jobs as CEO made all the calls and there was no one who was even thinking of going against him.
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. But if you aren't, you are very misinformed.
macingman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone