Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2011
so i mainly use my dslr as a filmmaker, however i do use it for photos aswell, so took some xmas snaps and noticed that when i loaded raw photos into aperture, it went from a flat picture to one that was really boosted in contrast/saturation which isnt what i expected from a raw file and infact makes all my pictures look like a jpeg file.

that was until i went into raw fine tuning, for some reason (im not an aperture expert so have no idea of the purpose) the boost and hue boost were both at 1.00 which when i reduced it down to boost 0.20 and hue boost 0.0 the picture looked exactly more or less as it should have in the first place?

i use a canon 600d so is this something that was supposed to do in the first place? why would apple put such a horrible preset in?

am i wrong to reduce the boost?

your thoughts please.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan

salacious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2011
wrong, default is 1.0 for saturation and 0.0 for vibrancy, both are the neutral value, the mid-point of the sliders. if you go to 0 on saturation that takes you to B&W.

Look here, go to lesson 8 correcting color:
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Series-Aperture/dp/0321898648#reader_0321898648

Is your monitor calibrated?

sorry i believe you have misunderstood me as im a bit crap at explaining things.

yes the dell u2410 is calibrated using colormunki, the prints are more or less exactly the same so in that regard i have no issue as i also do video editing.

what im trying to say is that in the RAW FINE TUNING there are two options at the top which at default on mine is 1.0/ 1.0 the image is what iv adjusted it to to provide more accurate colours rather than the boosted colours that i get from a flat image.

Attachments

• rwa.png
    rwa.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 540

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I don't think you're crap at explaining it, I understood exactly what you were talking about. I think it all depends on what the individual photog wants for his/her images. If you think about the way that RAW image data works, Aperture has to start somewhere. So it starts with settings that most closely resemble what the jpeg approximation from the camera would likely look like, but that's where the advantages of RAW shine, if that's not the look you want, just reduce those sliders. I don't think that there's any wrong to it. I always shoot RAW, and I have a bad habit of leaving those sliders where they are, even if I should probably reduce them sometimes.

Unfortunately, if you plan on regularly reducing these sliders I don't think there's a way to reset the defaults, but you should be able to put them where you want and add it as a one click preset if you'd prefer that as a starting point.

Hope I could be of help, as I'm fairly new to all of this myself.

----------

wrong, default is 1.0 for saturation and 0.0 for vibrancy, both are the neutral value, the mid-point of the sliders. if you go to 0 on saturation that takes you to B&W.

Look here, go to lesson 8 correcting color:
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Series-Aperture/dp/0321898648#reader_0321898648

Is your monitor calibrated?

Not wrong, OP wasn't talking about Saturation and Vibrancy values, OP was talking about RAW fine tuning values for Hue Boost and Boost.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2011
I don't think you're crap at explaining it, I understood exactly what you were talking about. I think it all depends on what the individual photog wants for his/her images. If you think about the way that RAW image data works, Aperture has to start somewhere. So it starts with settings that most closely resemble what the jpeg approximation from the camera would likely look like, but that's where the advantages of RAW shine, if that's not the look you want, just reduce those sliders. I don't think that there's any wrong to it. I always shoot RAW, and I have a bad habit of leaving those sliders where they are, even if I should probably reduce them sometimes.

Unfortunately, if you plan on regularly reducing these sliders I don't think there's a way to reset the defaults, but you should be able to put them where you want and add it as a one click preset if you'd prefer that as a starting point.

Hope I could be of help, as I'm fairly new to all of this myself.

----------

Not wrong, OP wasn't talking about Saturation and Vibrancy values, OP was talking about RAW fine tuning values for Hue Boost and Boost.

bingo just the info what i was looking for.. thanks

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I seem to remember changing the default, or at least changing what Aperture did on import. Changing what it does in import is essentially changing the default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.