Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:21 PM   #1
DirtySocks85
macrumors Demi-God

Anyone know what this circle on my lens is?

So I'm very new to the world of DSLRs. I was wiping down one of my lenses with a microfiber cloth to clear some dust off today when I noticed something unusual on the front element. A tiny little circle. At first I thought it was some sort of stuck on bit of filth, but upon closer inspection I realized that it was uniformly oval/circular, and looked to be metallic/reflective. Anyone know what it is or why it's there?

(click to enlarge)
Thumb resize.
DirtySocks85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:06 AM   #2
scottgoh
macrumors member

can it be a water stain? rain drop stain?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:19 AM   #3
DirtySocks85
macrumors Demi-God

That's what I thought at first, but it almost appears to be a small metallic ring embedded in the lens or something. It's very shiny at the edges, but not different from the rest of the lens on the interior. Obviously with it's size and placement it's not going to affect IQ, so this is mainly out of curiosity that I ask.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:12 AM   #4
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

Maybe it's a bubble in the lens coating, it's on the edge so shouldn't effect the image quality.
Kebabselector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:03 PM   #5
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

Send it back to Canon for repair.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:33 PM   #6
snberk103
macrumors 603

Before you actually do anything with the lense, check with the camera store you bought it from. And if you bought it online, check with Canon... maybe post this on there support forums if they exist. It may be a normal part of the manufacturing.

I say this because.... just yesterday my wife took off her glasses to clean them... and noticed very small, practically invisible, circles on the edge of her lenses (one on each lense). In her case there is also etched a very small number. It is obviously something that is part of the lense making process, though we are going to check with the optometrist to see if it is normal for a pair in use to have them.

The photo you took looks a lot like those circles. So check with Canon. It may be normal, though it may not be normal for it to actually be apparent.

I'd love to know what Canon says... so please update us!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:39 PM   #7
DirtySocks85
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Before you actually do anything with the lense, check with the camera store you bought it from. And if you bought it online, check with Canon... maybe post this on there support forums if they exist. It may be a normal part of the manufacturing.

I say this because.... just yesterday my wife took off her glasses to clean them... and noticed very small, practically invisible, circles on the edge of her lenses (one on each lense). In her case there is also etched a very small number. It is obviously something that is part of the lense making process, though we are going to check with the optometrist to see if it is normal for a pair in use to have them.

The photo you took looks a lot like those circles. So check with Canon. It may be normal, though it may not be normal for it to actually be apparent.

I'd love to know what Canon says... so please update us!
I'm pretty sure that all of the other spots are just regular dirt and dust (I stopped in the middle of cleaning it to take this pic). As far as purchase, I bought it online from B&H, so I'll try checking with them and/or Canon and see if I can get an answer. I suspect that this is normal and supposed to be there, and as pointed out above, seems unlikely to affect image quality due to the location at the edge of the lens, but it probably won't hurt to ask, and if something is off with it I can get it replaced.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Larry-K
macrumors 6502a

Looks like a bubble in the glass. This stuff was molten at one time, you know.
Larry-K is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:57 PM   #9
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Ringworm?
Laird Knox is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:43 AM   #10
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Knox View Post
Ringworm?
You literally made me laugh out loud and that doesn't happen too often. Thanks.
Caliber26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography