Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:50 PM   #1
sarah1623
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Thumbs down Another Late 2012 27" iMac Display issue - Blotching

Thought I would make a new thread since my display issue is a little different than http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1508336

I've had my new iMac for almost a week now. Today I started it up and I instantly noticed these blotches all over the login screen:


Here's a hi-res (2448px): http://imageshack.us/a/img23/6121/img4036sv.jpg

I wondered if anyone else had these blotches on their late 2012 iMacs?

After reading replies from the other thread, I've decided to get it replaced since I paid a lot of money for it. I will call Apple tomorrow.
sarah1623 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:40 PM   #2
crovian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
wow, that looks serious. You should definitely return it
crovian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Gelite55
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Take it back. Or call Apple and demand a replacement and that you keep your current one until the new one comes.
Gelite55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:18 PM   #4
AngelGuy7
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Yikes, that's bad. Do you think it developed over the last week or so? Do you notice it dead on or only at an angle? I just inspected my log-on screen and don't notice any blotches but I am having a yellowing problem that I mentioned here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1517959 I also notice that your screen looks yellow on the right but I'm not sure if that's an angle thing or a reflection of the lighting in the room.

I'd definitely get a replacement if I had blotches like that. I'm considering getting a replacement for my yellowish screen but seeing this make me nervous that my next iMac will have some other issue.
AngelGuy7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:23 PM   #5
shoulin333
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: California
This might be the same issue Apple use to have with a previous screen that was glued to the glass... macbook / iPhone /iPad I don't remember what the item was... but basically it looked sort of like that while the glue was drying. After about a week or so went by the "bubbles" or splotches were gone for most people that reported the issue.
__________________
27" iMac - Mid 2011
iPhone 5[S] - 16gb Space Grey(Verizon)
shoulin333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:46 PM   #6
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Seeing as it's quite new, I would return it for a new one. You're still currently within the return period. After that they will just send it in for warranty service. This is entirely conjecture, but it looks like a lamination issue. I hope it's replaced with a good one.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:52 PM   #7
sarah1623
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGuy7 View Post
Yikes, that's bad. Do you think it developed over the last week or so? Do you notice it dead on or only at an angle? I just inspected my log-on screen and don't notice any blotches but I am having a yellowing problem that I mentioned here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1517959 I also notice that your screen looks yellow on the right but I'm not sure if that's an angle thing or a reflection of the lighting in the room.

I'd definitely get a replacement if I had blotches like that. I'm considering getting a replacement for my yellowish screen but seeing this make me nervous that my next iMac will have some other issue.
It did develop over the last week. I didn't see any blotching in the beginning. I notice it head on but I can see how bad it is at an angle. The yellow on the right is from my lighting. It had similar blotching on the right as well streaks of discoloration.

I just restarted it and now there are big boxes and lines of discoloration.





Who knows if the other blotching will appear again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoulin333 View Post
This might be the same issue Apple use to have with a previous screen that was glued to the glass... macbook / iPhone /iPad I don't remember what the item was... but basically it looked sort of like that while the glue was drying. After about a week or so went by the "bubbles" or splotches were gone for most people that reported the issue.
Thanks. I might use it for a couple more days and see if it goes away.
sarah1623 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:11 PM   #8
AngelGuy7
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1623 View Post
It did develop over the last week. I didn't see any blotching in the beginning. I notice it head on but I can see how bad it is at an angle. The yellow on the right is from my lighting. It had similar blotching on the right as well streaks of discoloration.

I just restarted it and now there are big boxes and lines of discoloration.

Who knows if the other blotching will appear again..

Thanks. I might use it for a couple more days and see if it goes away.
It's interesting that the blotches look so uniform. I think that I faintly see a squarish one towards the middle-right area of the screen. I wonder if perhaps these are not blotches but some form of image retention because I've seen another post about that on here. Do you normally have windows or graphics open for long periods of time in the area of the the blotches?
AngelGuy7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:40 PM   #9
sarah1623
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGuy7 View Post
It's interesting that the blotches look so uniform. I think that I faintly see a squarish one towards the middle-right area of the screen. I wonder if perhaps these are not blotches but some form of image retention because I've seen another post about that on here. Do you normally have windows or graphics open for long periods of time in the area of the the blotches?
Now that you mention it, that box is an outline of the window I had open.

After I read your reply I noticed there were more boxes and one was of the Firefox window I had open because the page was lightly etched in the background. Now it is gone and there are still 2 small boxes from where my window is normally open. But the page that was etched in couldn't have been up for more than 10 minutes.

Last edited by sarah1623; Jan 1, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
sarah1623 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:33 PM   #10
AngelGuy7
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1623 View Post
Now that you mention it, that box is an outline of the window I had open.

After I read your reply I noticed there were more boxes and one was of the Firefox window I had open because the page was lightly etched in the background. Now it is gone and there are still 2 small boxes from where my window is normally open. But the page that was etched in couldn't have been up for more than 10 minutes.
Sounds like you have an image retention issue. You might want to check out this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1509571
AngelGuy7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:24 AM   #11
sarah1623
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGuy7 View Post
Sounds like you have an image retention issue. You might want to check out this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1509571
It all makes sense now..
So I can request a replacement, but there's no guarantee it won't happen again, right?
sarah1623 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:57 AM   #12
edry.hilario
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1623 View Post
It all makes sense now..
So I can request a replacement, but there's no guarantee it won't happen again, right?
yep, its also no guarantee, that the replacement youll get doesnt have any other issues ... my first imac had fan issues, the replacement got screen issues, i just put in an order for another replacement lets see what kind of issue that one will have, im so pissed
edry.hilario is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:49 AM   #13
sarah1623
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Unhappy Update

It's been a hectic couple days. Read the whole story if you want, but in short, the Apple Store didn't take my return, and I had to go to the post office to return it myself.

I called Apple on Wednesday and was on the phone with them for an hour. They were able to set up an unconventional return where I would bring my current iMac to my local Apple Store, and once it was confirmed that Apple had my computer in their possession, they would ship out my replacement when it's ready. They sent me a prepaid USPS shipping label so I could send mine back.

I made a Genius Bar appointment for Thursday so I'd be guaranteed help when I go in.

Thursday comes and I take my computer to the Apple Store. The Genius guy goes in the back to talk to his manager who said while it was not normal procedure and they have never accommodated this issue at their store before, he would complete the return for me...if he could. UPS and FedEx only pickup from the store, not USPS. So I leave still with my computer.

When I got to work I called Apple customer service again. I told the sales guy to look up the notes on my account so I don't have to explain everything again. He went through everything noted. When he got to the shipping part, that's where I explained that the store wouldn't accept my USPS shipping label. He basically said they should have taken it anyway and figured it out on their own. He was very apologetic and explained Apple only uses USPS for prepaid US returns.

Finally, I had to take the computer to the post office myself which I should have just done in the first place.
I really hope the replacement is fine because I do not want to go through this again.

Last edited by sarah1623; Jan 4, 2013 at 08:08 AM.
sarah1623 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:53 AM   #14
naktak
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
...
naktak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:02 AM   #15
Binarymix
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
i don't understand the run around.

They should have just sent you an advanced replacement, and had you call UPS to pick up the return.
Binarymix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:11 AM   #16
sarah1623
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarymix View Post
i don't understand the run around.

They should have just sent you an advanced replacement, and had you call UPS to pick up the return.
They need my computer back before they can send out a new one.

They would have done the advanced replacement, but I only have a $3000 credit limit so I couldn't have another $2400 charge on my account. The original $2400 is paid off, but I already have a balance that couldn't support another charge.
sarah1623 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:53 AM   #17
Binarymix
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1623 View Post
They need my computer back before they can send out a new one.

They would have done the advanced replacement, but I only have a $3000 credit limit so I couldn't have another $2400 charge on my account. The original $2400 is paid off, but I already have a balance that couldn't support another charge.
Ah that sucks, they still should have just had you call the delivery service to pick it up at your door.
Binarymix is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC