Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maddawoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Ok, I have read A LOT about getting my early 2009 mac mini connected to my hdtv but so far I have had limited success. If I connect the mac mini via DVI to VGA to my HDTV it works just fine but I want to connect via MDP to HDMI and that's where the problem begins.

I purchased a Belkin Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable(s) which says on box that it works with the mac mini - - and before you tell me, YES, I know there is NO AUDIO output on the MDP and/or DVI until the 2010 macs, I'll deal with that later, right now I'm just trying to get a picture! - - anyway, when I plug it all in, my HDTV get absolutely no signal from the mac mini. And when I go into the display settings, the mac mini says there is only one display connected and that's my monitor.

What am I doing wrong???? I tested the Belkin HDMI cable and it works fine. I am beginning to wonder if my MDP on my mac mini is bad since there is no signal coming from it. Any ideas????

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you could connect using a DVI to HDMI cable, it's the exact same signal, just a different connector, so you'll get the same signal quality.
before i upgraded my mini to one with HMDI, i was using a cable like this.

the DVI to VGA connecter is a bit misleading, as the computer is putting out the VGA signal on pins not used by the DVI connection and that adapter just grabs that and puts it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.