Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:18 PM   #1
desmotesta
macrumors member

Should I wait for the "new" Apple TV or just buy the current version?

Hello,

I have ried searching for an answer for this question without much luck.

I would like to purchase an Apple TV but can't find any information on the when the "next" model is being released, and what is expected to be added to the "next" Apple TV.

If memory serves me right, Apple usually announces the new one in Feb-march and I would hate to buy the current version only for a "new" one to come out in a couple of months.

I dont see any information on the "Buyer's guide" link either.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:28 PM   #2
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

There's no pattern to be recognized from only 3 iterations of a product. A new one coming out in Feb or Mar is as likely as one not coming out for 4 years (like the wait between the first & second generation).

The box is $100, $85 in the refurb store. It usually sells for about that same price used but even if you took a big hit on selling it used- say 50%- your "loss" will be about $45-$50. In return, you get to enjoy the many benefits of it up until you take that "loss".

You could wait a month or two for a new gen... or a year or three. Is doing without the benefits of the current one worth $45-$50 at worst?
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:42 PM   #3
desmotesta
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
There's no pattern to be recognized from only 3 iterations of a product. A new one coming out in Feb or Mar is as likely as one not coming out for 4 years (like the wait between the first & second generation).

The box is $100, $85 in the refurb store. It usually sells for about that same price used but even if you took a big hit on selling it used- say 50%- your "loss" will be about $45-$50. In return, you get to enjoy the many benefits of it up until you take that "loss".

You could wait a month or two for a new gen... or a year or three. Is doing without the benefits of the current one worth $45-$50 at worst?
very good points - thanks
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:37 PM   #4
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000

I just ordered a 1080p Roku. Will tie me over until I can get Amazon Prime on Apple TV without hacking one.
JesterJJZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:39 AM   #5
danbeckemeyer
macrumors newbie

Even if you purchase one now and then again when they release a new model, you'll still likely use the older one on another TV in the home.
danbeckemeyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:01 AM   #6
linds15
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbeckemeyer View Post
Even if you purchase one now and then again when they release a new model, you'll still likely use the older one on another TV in the home.
this, and its not a very large investment so i wouldn't bother waiting.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:27 AM   #7
HERO XXL
macrumors regular

Quote:
So very true--I just purchased another this past holiday season seeing as though having it on only one tv seriously limited all that i'm able to do. Go for it--you won't be disappointed in the least.
HERO XXL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:51 PM   #8
iphone1105
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Great point, it's what we did, moved the ATV2 to the bedroom, ATV3 in living room....ATV1 in our office.
iphone1105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:46 PM   #9
KonaMacMike
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to KonaMacMike
I have both the apple tv, and roku.
I am a cable cutter, and have been without for a few years now.
The 2 of these (including netflix, amazon prime) have been more than enough for myself and family, I can't say it will be the same for everyone else.
KonaMacMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater