Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old May 3, 2013, 02:24 AM   #1
Blue604
macrumors regular

brand new imac 21.5 won't start up, just loud fan noise

I just received my BTO 21.5" iMac two days ago. It was working fine. When I turned on the iMac today, the fan is running at full speed and nothing shows up. I have followed the resetting smc here

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1587
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

but nothing works. It's 21.5" early 2013 one, i7, 16gb, 1tb fusion drive.
Blue604 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 02:44 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Hardware failure, return it.

But, you could run Apple Hardware Test if that is possible, hold the D key at startup and run it, if this also fails call Apple.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 08:13 AM   #3
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue604 View Post
I just received my BTO 21.5" iMac two days ago. It was working fine. When I turned on the iMac today, the fan is running at full speed and nothing shows up. I have followed the resetting smc here

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1587
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

but nothing works. It's 21.5" early 2013 one, i7, 16gb, 1tb fusion drive.
You have 14 days to return it for exchange or refund if you bought it directly from Apple, take advantage of that!!!!!
Old May 3, 2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Blue604
macrumors regular

Yes I can return it. But I want to see if there is way to erase my data before I return it?
Old May 5, 2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Blue604
macrumors regular

Took it to apple store, it's logic board problem. will exchange for a new one thru online
Old May 16, 2013, 03:21 AM   #6
Blue604
macrumors regular

So I returned the 1st Imac 21.5 and received the new one.

And EXACTLY the same thing happened after 5 days of use!!! I plugged in a powered usb hub and the computer just shuts down. And when I try to start the computer, there is no video and has loud fan noise.

This is the 2nd IMac with failed logic board.
Old May 16, 2013, 03:41 AM   #7
Sean4123
macrumors 6502

Quote:

And EXACTLY the same thing happened after 5 days of use!!! I plugged in a powered usb hub and the computer just shuts down. And when I try to start the computer, there is no video and has loud fan noise.

This sure seems like a 'user error' to me. I don't know many people that can buy two brand new iMac's and have them both break w/in a week.
Sean4123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 03:41 AM   #8
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:

No, you probably have a faulty powered USB hub, I read similar stories here, a User plugged in his iPhone with a cheap Thunderbolt cable and it instantly shut down, probably a short circuit, if I were you I would throw that one away ASAP.

Try a SMC reset and NVRAM/PRAM reset, even a few times, if that works do NOT use that hub again.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 04:27 AM   #9
Blue604
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
No, you probably have a faulty powered USB hub, I read similar stories here, a User plugged in his iPhone with a cheap Thunderbolt cable and it instantly shut down, probably a short circuit, if I were you I would throw that one away ASAP.

Try a SMC reset and NVRAM/PRAM reset, even a few times, if that works do NOT use that hub again.
Another one is my old Macbook Pro 13" 2009. I plugged in the white iphone cable with iphone 4s to one of the usb port, and it has this "usb was drawing too much power" message. Ever since that usb port doesn't work, and every time when I boot up it shows this error message. And I was using skype video chat after, and the green light on camera never shut down. I took it to Apple store, they said it's the logic board. This and the 2 brand new Imac 21.5 failed happened all within the past 2 weeks.

So it's the faulty powered usb hub and the white iphone cable? At first I suspected it's my power outlet, so I bought a new APC UPS for the 2nd IMac, but that still fail.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac