Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:05 PM   #1
chickensdontcla
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
How to organize movie series.

Hi All. Hopefully someone will have an answer to this question. I have a few movie series (like James Bond) that I want to organize in iTunes for my Apple TV. Ideally, I want to have them all under one category in my "Movies" list like "James Bond" and all of the movies in the series in chronological order under that heading. If anyone has any idea how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much!
chickensdontcla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 07:04 PM   #2
OldSkoolNJ
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickensdontcla View Post
Hi All. Hopefully someone will have an answer to this question. I have a few movie series (like James Bond) that I want to organize in iTunes for my Apple TV. Ideally, I want to have them all under one category in my "Movies" list like "James Bond" and all of the movies in the series in chronological order under that heading. If anyone has any idea how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much!
Well the Apple TV displays these by default in alphabtical order. Also there is no sub categories. So they willbe right in order with the rest of them . Only thing I can suggest is to rename them and start them all with "James Bond" then the name of the movie. Example

James Bond - Golden Eye
James Bond - Tomorrow Never Dies

If you want them to show up in chrono order than you can do something like

James Bond - 1 - Golden Eye
James Bond - 2 - Tomorrow Never Dies
or
James Bond - 1995 - Golden Eye
James Bond - 1997 - Tomorrow Never Dies

Either should put them in order.

Kevin
OldSkoolNJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:01 PM   #3
badtzmaru
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
you could edit the tags via itunes or another app to make them TV shows and then organize them by creating series.
badtzmaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 02:26 AM   #4
Jasoco
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2006
Sort Order.

It's under "Sort Name" in the Sorting tab.

James Bond 1
James Bond 2
James Bond 3

Star Trek 1
Star Trek 2
Star Trek 3

Lord of the Rings 1
Lord of the Rings 2
Lord of the Rings 3

Bill and Ted 1
Bill and Ted 2

You get the idea. This way you end up with properly named files, but correctly sorted.

It's the ONLY way to do it correctly while preserving the correct title.
Jasoco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:24 AM   #5
OldSkoolNJ
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
Sort Order.

It's under "Sort Name" in the Sorting tab.

James Bond 1
James Bond 2
James Bond 3

Star Trek 1
Star Trek 2
Star Trek 3

Lord of the Rings 1
Lord of the Rings 2
Lord of the Rings 3

Bill and Ted 1
Bill and Ted 2

You get the idea. This way you end up with properly named files, but correctly sorted.

It's the ONLY way to do it correctly while preserving the correct title.
That works well with in iTunes but will it transfer and show up on TV that way?

Kevin
OldSkoolNJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Cave Man
macrumors 604
 
Cave Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
This has been addressed several times before on the forum. It is one of the big issues with iTunes at the moment.

Here's what you need to do. Drag and drop all your James Bond movies into iTunes under the Movie category. Do a Get Info on the first in the series and under the Video tab set the following:

Video Kind: TV Show
Show: James Bond
Episode Number: 1

Do the same other movies so that Episode Number corresponds to which movie it is, in order. Then, on the Apple TV under TV Shows there will be a series called James Bond which will have your movies in order, with the first at the bottom and last at the top.
Cave Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Jasoco
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolNJ View Post
That works well with in iTunes but will it transfer and show up on TV that way?

Kevin
Yes, for goodness sakes. Yes. It was fixed with the YouTube update. It was my biggest complaint with the out of box AppleTV.

And putting them in TV shows is clunky and should be unnecessary. Movies are NOT TV shows, so why put them there?
Jasoco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Cave Man
macrumors 604
 
Cave Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
And putting them in TV shows is clunky
Yes, it is.

Quote:
and should be unnecessary.
It should be, but it isn't. Apple need sot fix this in iTunes.

Quote:
Movies are NOT TV shows, so why put them there?
We have more than 300 movies. I don't want to have to scroll through that many. Until Apple fixes this, this is how we'll continue to do it and it's the most efficient means of doing so.
Cave Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 05:03 PM   #9
chickensdontcla
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Jasoco, you rock. Thank you very much. Let's hope that Apple addresses this issue and allows us to create a grouping of movies under the same heading. It would be quite nice, but thanks for the tip in the meantime! It's works like a charm.
chickensdontcla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 05:38 AM   #10
rodlykins
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
How To Organized TV Shows That are not Seasonal

First, I apologize if this has been answered previously; however, I was unable to locate the answer in the forums. My problem is that I have tagged all my son's videos to include artwork with AtomicParsley in accordance with the iTunes 101 article regarding videos; however, non-seasonal DVDs are showing up with the same artwork. For exampe "Blue's Jobs" and "Classic Clues" are both showing up in TV Shows in a long list under the "Blue's Jobs" artwork and not separated by DVD. Is there a way around this (other than naming the TV Show as TV Show + Name of DVD) i.e. Blue's Jobs - Classic Clues and Blue's Clues - Blue's Jobs. My reasoning is that if this is "corrected" in the future I will need to retag all my videos. Any help would be appreciated...
rodlykins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:38 PM   #11
gadabout
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodlykins View Post
First, I apologize if this has been answered previously; however, I was unable to locate the answer in the forums. My problem is that I have tagged all my son's videos to include artwork with AtomicParsley in accordance with the iTunes 101 article regarding videos; however, non-seasonal DVDs are showing up with the same artwork. For exampe "Blue's Jobs" and "Classic Clues" are both showing up in TV Shows in a long list under the "Blue's Jobs" artwork and not separated by DVD. Is there a way around this (other than naming the TV Show as TV Show + Name of DVD) i.e. Blue's Jobs - Classic Clues and Blue's Clues - Blue's Jobs. My reasoning is that if this is "corrected" in the future I will need to retag all my videos. Any help would be appreciated...
the best way to get all of the artwork shown is to make sure that the videos are tagged as different seasons. itunes shows one picture per season of each tv show. so, even if they aren't really seasons, i would tag them as season 1 and 2 or 6 and 10 or whatever just to make the artwork shown. hope that helps!

-carlo
gadabout is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:37 PM   #12
xplnusa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Idaho
Send a message via AIM to xplnusa Send a message via Yahoo to xplnusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
This has been addressed several times before on the forum. It is one of the big issues with iTunes at the moment.

Here's what you need to do. Drag and drop all your James Bond movies into iTunes under the Movie category. Do a Get Info on the first in the series and under the Video tab set the following:

Video Kind: TV Show
Show: James Bond
Episode Number: 1

Do the same other movies so that Episode Number corresponds to which movie it is, in order. Then, on the Apple TV under TV Shows there will be a series called James Bond which will have your movies in order, with the first at the bottom and last at the top.

5 years later and a search on here answered my questions... Thank you!!!
xplnusa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Movie Clock: Finally (Hopefully) A Decent Movie App For Movie Lovers nrose101 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 3 Feb 12, 2013 01:11 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC