Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
Does anyone else suffer from an imac that always has the fans on 1200 rpm and can hear it a little from the second it boots untill it sleeps?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
1200 RPM is the idle speed.
Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

I presume you use a 2012 iMac?

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Mine idles at 1200 RPM during use (until it sleeps), and I can hear it if I put my ear up to the screen and listen closely.

So yes, it's normal behavior to always be at 1200. The sound doesn't bother me, so A, you're more sensitive to it than me, or B, your fans are unusually loud.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
not the speed but the sound :/

1200rpm is the idle speed. The fan will ALWAYS run at 1200rpm when idling/not under load (I've seen it between 1195rpm and 1202rpm if my memory serves). So yes, it's normal. I personally can't hear the fan in my room, but there's a little ambient sound here anyway. If you're hearing it it must be REALLY quiet where your iMac is located.

Anyway, there you go. Normal.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Can I ask... What is the sound like? Mine sounds a little like an engine. I can hear each turn, it's not just wind but a faint clicking sound. But it's very weak and I need to put my head close to the screen to hear it. Is this what you are experiencing?

edit: I was going to record the sound so you could hear. But, now I can´t really hear anything at all. I guess this fan sound came after playing diablo for a couple of hours. it was faint, but it just did sound a bit unusual...I used to just hear an even wind sound from my apple laptop.

But, I bought a 2big Lacie HDD, which completely overshadows the imac fan sound. I cant hear anything from the imac because the lacie has a loud windy noise.

Last edited:

MathijsF

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
The Netherlands
It sounds just like air blowing.

If you only read the topic title and this last post it sounds like a huge troll :p

I've read a few complaints about the fan noise. Most common response by users here: "if you don't trust it, get it replaced"

I don't know if it's annoying or not. Maybe you can record it for us?

Last edited:

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
Quote of the year? :p

Haha no better way to explain. I mean I may only be concerned now because of ocd after spending so much. Though I feel like it may be normal i just wanted to know if people could hear there fans as well. I would record but i tried on my phone and ipad and the mic makes it sound so much worse than it is haha :)
Thanks for the help guys much appreciated

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
I haven't Heard my fan at all Definitely get it replaced !!! Quiet as a mouse since Dec 24th 2012 !

Well i called apple and the rep who was very cool, had me smc reset again and it did not really change he said if its not that loud it's normal for the new imac considering the lack of space inside the mac now. He said if it gets louder than this average audible level to call back.

braddicted2mac

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
Canada
Well i called apple and the rep who was very cool, had me smc reset again and it did not really change he said if its not that loud it's normal for the new imac considering the lack of space inside the mac now. He said if it gets louder than this average audible level to call back.

Seriously ..... I haven't heard mine at all and I was just doing some major core usage encoding videos !! wow that sucks I hope they deal with it and you get the mac you paid for ! a quiet one !! What load did you get ??

mine is 32 gig ram, 3 tb fusion i7, and 680 graphics card Still no noise

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I'd suggest going to an Apple Store and comparing if possible. I know it's a louder environment....

Hmm. Saying that, I really, really cannot hear my 2012 iMac. How quiet is the room it's in? If you live out in the boonies you might well be able to hear it a little, I don't doubt. In a city with traffic outside, you won't.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
I'd suggest going to an Apple Store and comparing if possible. I know it's a louder environment....

Hmm. Saying that, I really, really cannot hear my 2012 iMac. How quiet is the room it's in? If you live out in the boonies you might well be able to hear it a little, I don't doubt. In a city with traffic outside, you won't.

Its pretty quiet considering i don't live near main roads and the mac is in the back part of the house! the Noise isnt terrible but idk if its worth getting an exchange considering people having worse problems.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4crdj4g5j7v6jk/Memo.m4a
somewhat of audio clip i recorded from front of imac on iphone. Obviously i think it picks up more than my ear :D

I basically hear white noise. :confused:

I think either you need to exchange it if you think something is wrong, or deal with the fact that 1200rpm will make SOME noise, and depending on how sensitive you are to it you will hear it or you won't! That's about the long and the long of it. :p

Blkant

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Hate to be ignorant here, but how are people finding their fan speed? Only way I can find online is through obnoxious extra applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.