Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:37 PM   #26
mac26
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijohn.8.80 View Post
You're welcome.

According to Canon Australia it is EF. Mine says EF also.
Oops, my mistake, I also checked Canon.ca and I saw that its an EF lens, my mistake is to my benefit
mac26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:16 AM   #27
mofunk
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Americas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac26 View Post
Thanks for the reply, how is the 24-70? What situations is this lens good for? If I got one it'd be a used one from Sigma or Tamron. Great idea on renting a lens before choosing the second lens

Thanks for the tips!
I've only shot with the Nikkor 24-70mm. It's a good range to have especially for portraits and some city shots.
mofunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:35 AM   #28
DragonJade
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
You're a beginner, a hobbiest, and on a budget. All you need is one fairly decent body, and one all-rounder lens. As someoldguy recommends, the 15-85mm is all you need to keep you going for years. You don't need the 50mm lens.

When you have more experience and money, and if you're still heavily into photography, you can spend more money on what you'll need then, not what you think you need now.

My favourite photog site is http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Join up and look at lots and lots of photos and see what lenses, apertures, etc. they used for the photo. Go to the library and see if they have any photography magazines if you don't/can't buy any (or just go to the shops and browse them), look at the photography books to give you a bit of background in photography technique if you want.
DragonJade is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:33 AM   #29
mac26
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonJade View Post
You're a beginner, a hobbiest, and on a budget. All you need is one fairly decent body, and one all-rounder lens. As someoldguy recommends, the 15-85mm is all you need to keep you going for years. You don't need the 50mm lens.

When you have more experience and money, and if you're still heavily into photography, you can spend more money on what you'll need then, not what you think you need now.

My favourite photog site is http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Join up and look at lots and lots of photos and see what lenses, apertures, etc. they used for the photo. Go to the library and see if they have any photography magazines if you don't/can't buy any (or just go to the shops and browse them), look at the photography books to give you a bit of background in photography technique if you want.
Your right I'm going in above my head, I just love to plan ahead :0. I am going to have to get 50mm f/1.8 as it is the only lens in my budget with the 60D but I'll get a multipurpose lens like the 15-85mm lens as my second lens. I am trying to find as much information about how to use the correct settings and the forum will help too!
mac26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:42 AM   #30
DragonJade
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac26 View Post
Your right I'm going in above my head, I just love to plan ahead :0. I am going to have to get 50mm f/1.8 as it is the only lens in my budget with the 60D but I'll get a multipurpose lens like the 15-85mm lens as my second lens. I am trying to find as much information about how to use the correct settings and the forum will help too!
I had a quick look on Google Shopping and found that in the US you can get the 60D with the 18-55mm lens kit for a little over your $800 budget. Cheaper if you bought second hand or ex-display. Sure, it doesn't zoom as far as 85, but you're on a budget anyway - just the 18-85mm looks like it would wipe out your budget. In one of the threads from canonrumors someone said that Best Buy or Target had a stockpile of 60Ds, indicating (he said) that they might be about to do a big sale on them.

Also look out for rebates in store and on the Canon website!
DragonJade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:04 AM   #31
mac26
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonJade View Post
I had a quick look on Google Shopping and found that in the US you can get the 60D with the 18-55mm lens kit for a little over your $800 budget. Cheaper if you bought second hand or ex-display. Sure, it doesn't zoom as far as 85, but you're on a budget anyway - just the 18-85mm looks like it would wipe out your budget. In one of the threads from canonrumors someone said that Best Buy or Target had a stockpile of 60Ds, indicating (he said) that they might be about to do a big sale on them.

Also look out for rebates in store and on the Canon website!
Unfortunately I am in Canada, fortunately the same person selling the 60D also has the 18-55mm lens brand new so he could replace that with the 50mm f/1.8 so I can still get a brand new package for $750 no tax

Do you suggest picking the 18-55mm lens over the 50mm f/1.8?
mac26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:22 AM   #32
NZed
macrumors 65816
 
NZed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada, Eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac26 View Post
Unfortunately I am in Canada, fortunately the same person selling the 60D also has the 18-55mm lens brand new so he could replace that with the 50mm f/1.8 so I can still get a brand new package for $750 no tax

Do you suggest picking the 18-55mm lens over the 50mm f/1.8?
The 18-55 is one of the low-level lens from Canon. BUT DONT underestimate what it can do. Because its the photographer behind the lens that matters.

I believe that the 18-55 would be a better choice for you than the 50 1.8 because a zoom lens is very flexible and something you might want/need than a prime. But if you have the money, go for both. POTN usually has the 50 1.8 for around less than 100USD.

I started out with a 18-55. Took me 3 years before I needed something better.

Where are you in Canada?
__________________
Marty: Wait a minute, Doc. Are you telling me that you built a time machine, out of a DeLorean?
NZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:33 AM   #33
DragonJade
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac26 View Post
Unfortunately I am in Canada, fortunately the same person selling the 60D also has the 18-55mm lens brand new so he could replace that with the 50mm f/1.8 so I can still get a brand new package for $750 no tax

Do you suggest picking the 18-55mm lens over the 50mm f/1.8?
Ah, Canada!

Personally, I would choose the 18-55mm over the 50mm. I very much doubt you'll need f/1.8 for landscape (generally you want to get as much depth of focus for landscapes, so something like f/8+ is the norm), although useful for creative portraits. And as the lens 'covers' the 50mm of the prime lens, it's good enough for your first lens.

Stick your arm out perpendicular to your body, hold your hand in a fist palm down and stick out your thumb and little finger. Look at what you can see between your thumb and little finger. This is roughly what you'll get edge to edge on a 50mm lens (body dimensions depending)- not so great for rolling landscapes, is it? At 15mm, I get about 3 thumbs to little fingers - stick out both hands and repeat with thumbs touching and you'll get a general idea. Now imagine if every shot you took you would only be able to get what was between your thumb and finger without having to move backwards or forwards. A little restrictive, right?

In the end it's your choice. A dozen people will tell you a dozen different things. Read around the subject, ask questions and make an informed decision. I think you said you borrowed your uncle's camera. Why not borrow it again and set the lens to the 50mm mark and spend the day taking different types of pictures with it and see how you like it. Then spend another day freely zooming in and out.

----------

Oh, and on http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ (POTN) check out their sales area. You might pick up a bargain.

Last edited by DragonJade; Jan 3, 2013 at 03:39 AM.
DragonJade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:05 AM   #34
mac26
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Thanks for the input, so you guys are saying because the 50mm is a fixed lens I should get the 18-55 so I have more flexibility in the zoom. I'll also check out POTN soon. I am in Toronto, how about you NZed?

P.S. what is your camera gear NZed?
mac26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:23 PM   #35
DragonJade
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac26 View Post
Thanks for the input, so you guys are saying because the 50mm is a fixed lens I should get the 18-55 so I have more flexibility in the zoom. I'll also check out POTN soon. I am in Toronto, how about you NZed?
Sorry for the late reply. My User CP told me there was no new replies to the thread.

Yes, that's what we're saying about the 18-55 over the 50mm. More flexibility, and for landscapes you get more 'in' on you picture because you have a wider field of view.

Have a look at this:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/d...y-15-2013-cr1/

Exciting, exciting!
DragonJade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:34 PM   #36
mac26
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonJade View Post
Sorry for the late reply. My User CP told me there was no new replies to the thread.

Yes, that's what we're saying about the 18-55 over the 50mm. More flexibility, and for landscapes you get more 'in' on you picture because you have a wider field of view.

Have a look at this:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/d...y-15-2013-cr1/

Exciting, exciting!
The next three days will be a long wait! I hope This really happens because then the market value of the 60D will drop making it cheaper to purchase as I might have to reduce my budget anyways, BUT if the 7D Mark II comes out the 7D and the 60D should still both drop which would be nice.

I am set on the 18-55mm Lens for my first lens BTW
__________________
MBA 11.6"| i5
Galaxy Nexus
iPod Shuffle 3rd Gen. BLUE
mac26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:41 PM   #37
DragonJade
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac26 View Post
The next three days will be a long wait! I hope This really happens because then the market value of the 60D will drop making it cheaper to purchase as I might have to reduce my budget anyways, BUT if the 7D Mark II comes out the 7D and the 60D should still both drop which would be nice.

I am set on the 18-55mm Lens for my first lens BTW
I hope the 70D comes out, but will wait six months for the prices to drop here in Japan. I've been waiting over a year for it to come out and now there's another excruciating half year wait.

Don't forget that the 18-55mm lens and 60D come as a set from Canon so you don't have to by them separately.
DragonJade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:53 PM   #38
MCAsan
macrumors 68030
 
MCAsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta
For buyers in the States. Go to Canon USA and consider getting refurbished bodies and lenses. If you have an older Canon body, you can usually call them and get an tradein for a few hundred off. Most of my L lenses are refurbed as was my 5DII. All were like new when received.


http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...10051_-1_29252
__________________
Retina MBP 11,3 2.6GHz | 16GB | 1TB
Thunderbolt Display
iPhone 5s | Silver | 64GB | Unlocked
iPad Air | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:10 PM   #39
mac26
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonJade View Post
I hope the 70D comes out, but will wait six months for the prices to drop here in Japan. I've been waiting over a year for it to come out and now there's another excruciating half year wait.

Don't forget that the 18-55mm lens and 60D come as a set from Canon so you don't have to by them separately.
I am buying off of a classifieds site so I am not buying directly from Canon although I still am buying the 60D & the 18-55mm together from the same guy. However I may just get a 40D/50D with a 18-55mm or a 17-85mm because I may not keep the camera for 5 years if I really get into photography and upgrade in 3 years so a 40D/50D wouldn't be a problem for 3 years so then I can invest on more lenses and other things in general.

Thanks again for the help and advice!

@MCAsan
Thanks for the link but I am purchasing from a classified site (see above), although I can also get a new or used dSLR from Henry's (Canadian Camera Retailer) for cheaper or the same if I really want to get a brand new one.
__________________
MBA 11.6"| i5
Galaxy Nexus
iPod Shuffle 3rd Gen. BLUE
mac26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:57 PM   #40
DragonJade
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac26 View Post
I am buying off of a classifieds site so I am not buying directly from Canon although I still am buying the 60D & the 18-55mm together from the same guy.
I think you misunderstand. The 60D comes with the 18-55mm lens in a single box, as a kit or set.

Canon do the following lenses with the 60D:
18-55
17-85
18-135
18-55 + 55-250

I think these all the lens kits.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/s...11/03/box1.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/RJ8jJNbeC0U/0.jpg
http://img.youtube.com/vi/Qo_6oaxc8tU/0.jpg

Good luck with your camera purchase. Let us know how you got on!
DragonJade is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Odd how in UK only gear fit and gear 2 neo are on sale but not gear 2 The Game 161 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 1 May 8, 2014 01:51 AM
Is anyone here buying a Samsung Gear 2, Gear Fit, or Gear Neo? ChrisTX Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 13 Mar 28, 2014 12:20 PM
Canon gear head? Interested in a review of the 24-70 f/2.8L II vs 24-105 f/4L IS? VirtualRain Digital Photography 42 Feb 24, 2014 05:37 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC