Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoelover4eva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Hi there,

Im hoping someone out there can help me with how to create a speadsheet.

I have a food business and I need to create a costing spreadsheet. What I need is for a main sheet to contain all the ingredients in one column eg butter, flour. The next column will contain the unit cost eg. $.79. And the next column would need to contain the unit weight.

Then I was hoping to be able to use that list of items over and over again on mulitple recipes, (so that I dont have to retype each time). Maybe using drop down lists would be easiest. But I was hoping that the unit cost and price would also automatically insert also.

Im pretty stuck how to do this. I have made one before, but I have to copy the ingredients for each recipe manually.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I can email through my current spreadsheet so you can see what I am trying to achieve. I am sure I can do this in a more streamlined and simplier way.

Thanks in advance.

SpetsnaZ99

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
UK
I think 'Hlookup' and 'Vlookup' would help if you are determined to use Excel. Other than that an Access database would handle it better. PM me if you want me to try the spreadsheet for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.