Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I just updated to Mountain Lion (10.8.2) from Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on a 2008 Macbook Pro. After updating everytime I close the lid to put it to sleep, upon re-opening the computer reboots. At first it seems to try and wake up but then just restarts.

I have not enabled this in System Preferences -> Energy Saver (see screenshot).

Can anyone suggest what might be happening? :confused:

Currently it is making the computer fairly unusable as bootup takes quite some time on my machine. ML is definitely slower than SL at least for me.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 255

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I just updated to Mountain Lion (10.8.2) from Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on a 2008 Macbook Pro. After updating everytime I close the lid to put it to sleep, upon re-opening the computer reboots. At first it seems to try and wake up but then just restarts.

I have not enabled this in System Preferences -> Energy Saver (see screenshot).

Can anyone suggest what might be happening? :confused:

Currently it is making the computer fairly unusable as bootup takes quite some time on my machine. ML is definitely slower than SL at least for me.

There is a known bug in 10.8.2 concerning deep sleep behaviour. Lots of posts on this subject on the forums. I suggest you try plugging the Macbook Pro into the mains, closing the lid, leaving it to sleep, opening the lid. If it is this bug, then the MBP will wake OK and not reboot. The problem seems to be when running on battery.

If you still have the problem then wait till 10.8.3 is out (not long now) and try again.

I have this problem with a 2011 MBA. If 10.8.3 doesn't solve this then I'm going back to 10.7.X. The problem seems to be specific to 10.8 and mostly to 10.8.2.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
There is a known bug in 10.8.2 concerning deep sleep behaviour. Lots of posts on this subject on the forums. I suggest you try plugging the Macbook Pro into the mains, closing the lid, leaving it to sleep, opening the lid. If it is this bug, then the MBP will wake OK and not reboot. The problem seems to be when running on battery.

If you still have the problem then wait till 10.8.3 is out (not long now) and try again.

I have this problem with a 2011 MBA. If 10.8.3 doesn't solve this then I'm going back to 10.7.X. The problem seems to be specific to 10.8 and mostly to 10.8.2.

Wow that is quite some bug! Thanks for replying with the news.

My mac does it even when plugged into the mains power so it would appear not to be the bug you are referring to. It is a pretty major inconvenience too.

Is there anything else I can do or check?

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
The only other idea to try is to install 10.8.2 from scratch rather than as an upgrade from 10.6.8. I have read that this may give you a more stable OS especially as you are not upgrading from 10.7.X.

Clone your drive to an external and then you can migrate your apps from the external back to the internal after you have reinstalled 10.8.2.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
The only other idea to try is to install 10.8.2 from scratch rather than as an upgrade from 10.6.8. I have read that this may give you a more stable OS especially as you are not upgrading from 10.7.X.

Clone your drive to an external and then you can migrate your apps from the external back to the internal after you have reinstalled 10.8.2.

Can I just use Time Machine for this instead or does it have to be a true clone? If so, can you recommend some cloning software?

This is a real pain. I thought that waiting for the 10.8.2 release would have seen some of the bugs ironed out but there are quite a few I have found since moving!

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Can I just use Time Machine for this instead or does it have to be a true clone? If so, can you recommend some cloning software?

This is a real pain. I thought that waiting for the 10.8.2 release would have seen some of the bugs ironed out but there are quite a few I have found since moving!

I don't use TM so I can't help you with that, but for cloning try Carbon Copy Cloner. (see : http://www.bombich.com ). Lots of MacRumors forum people use it. It doesn't cost to try it (or much to buy it). I used it a lot when I was trying to troubleshoot this 10.8.2 problem.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I don't use TM so I can't help you with that, but for cloning try Carbon Copy Cloner. (see : http://www.bombich.com ). Lots of MacRumors forum people use it. It doesn't cost to try it (or much to buy it). I used it a lot when I was trying to troubleshoot this 10.8.2 problem.

OK Thanks for your help. ;)

It seems crazy that the only way to *maybe* fix the problem is a total reinstall but hey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.