Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:00 AM   #1
suclearnub
macrumors member

Editing software

Which editing software is better?
Final Cut Pro X or PowerDirector? I have boot camp so OS is irrelevant. Also, price is irrelevant too.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:05 PM   #2
suclearnub
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suclearnub View Post
Which editing software is better?
Final Cut Pro X or PowerDirector? I have boot camp so OS is irrelevant. Also, price is irrelevant too.
bump
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:13 PM   #3
Boe11
macrumors 6502

If price is irrelevant, try them both out. It really depends on your workflow and what best suits your particular needs. FCP X works well.
Boe11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:37 AM   #4
phuocsandiego
macrumors member

If OS is also irrelevant than may I suggest Sony Vegas Pro if you're going to boot camp anyways? It's the best video editor I've used and I much prefer the way it works compared to say FCPX or Premiere. If Sony makes a native Mac version I'd be on it in a heartbeat.
phuocsandiego is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Kevin Monahan
macrumors regular

Of course, I'd suggest Premiere Pro.
Free trial here: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/p...uction_Premium
Kevin Monahan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:58 AM   #6
Chad3eleven
macrumors regular

Honestly, this is like asking which alcohol is the 'best'.. its based on preference.

Is 'best' meaning easiest? most features? compatibility?

I edit daily on either FCP or Avid symphony, and if I can make a hybrid of them both, that would be the best. Well, maybe 70 avid and 30 FCP. But understandable learning Avid is a milestone.

I feel premiere has got the edge because of the integration with the rest of the adobe suite, for me is After Effects.

Try a few out and see for yourself! Thats the most important, whats best for you, not whats best for others.
Chad3eleven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:04 PM   #7
dodge this
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Monahan View Post
Of course, I'd suggest Premiere Pro.
Free trial here: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/p...uction_Premium

I would not suggest premiere. From a lab management standpoint, it can be a huge pain. I have had lots of problems with adobe products in a lab management setting. With every cs release they seem to savor the challenge of how to both bloat the software and how many new processes they can add to break the software. Usually discovered on a deadline.

I have never heard of powerdirector. But, who knows until it is used. What makes you happier and if you have clients who care about it, what are clients wanting to see you edit in? Which crashes less? If you do Quickie edits, which is the best for that? Look at your workflow and work environment that will answer your questions.
dodge this is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Kevin Monahan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge this View Post
I would not suggest premiere. From a lab management standpoint, it can be a huge pain. I have had lots of problems with adobe products in a lab management setting. With every cs release they seem to savor the challenge of how to both bloat the software and how many new processes they can add to break the software. Usually discovered on a deadline.
Check out Creative Cloud for Teams then. From a management standpoint, it's a dream. It's for people just like you: http://www.adobe.com/products/creati...html#ccm-teams
Kevin Monahan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video