Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:53 PM   #26
yg17
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
The current house split is 233 R and 200 D (there are two vacancies - Jessie Jackson Jr and the guy who got appointed to replace Jim Demint).

What happens if the Republican caucus splits their vote for speaker, ending up with something like 133 for Boehner, 100 for Cantor (or some other loon) and the Democrats cast 200 votes for Pelosi? Does she become speaker, or is a majority vote required?

I realize once those 100 Cantor voters realize that their split means a Pelosi speakership, they'll switch their votes faster than you can say "San Francisco liberal!!!!!!!111" but it's a nice thought.
__________________
Barack Obama is not a foreign born, brown skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus.
yg17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:58 PM   #27
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by yg17 View Post
The current house split is 233 R and 200 D (there are two vacancies - Jessie Jackson Jr and the guy who got appointed to replace Jim Demint).

What happens if the Republican caucus splits their vote for speaker, ending up with something like 133 for Boehner, 100 for Cantor (or some other loon) and the Democrats cast 200 votes for Pelosi? Does she become speaker, or is a majority vote required?

I realize once those 100 Cantor voters realize that their split means a Pelosi speakership, they'll switch their votes faster than you can say "San Francisco liberal!!!!!!!111" but it's a nice thought.

To be elected, a candidate must receive an absolute majority of all votes cast for individuals (i.e. excluding Representatives who abstain or are absent). If no candidate wins such a majority, then the roll-call is repeated until a Speaker is elected.

Demint was in the Senate.
__________________
The distance in time between 1980 and now is the same amount as the distance in time between 1980 and WWII.
rdowns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:01 PM   #28
AhmedFaisal
Guest
 
<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 06:02 PM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:01 PM   #29
yg17
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
To be elected, a candidate must receive an absolute majority of all votes cast for individuals (i.e. excluding Representatives who abstain or are absent). If no candidate wins such a majority, then the roll-call is repeated until a Speaker is elected.
Damn, so that changes my scenario from almost impossible to definitely impossible.

Quote:
Demint was in the Senate.
Yeah I know - the house vacancy was created when some congressman was appointed to replace him in the senate.
__________________
Barack Obama is not a foreign born, brown skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus.
yg17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:05 PM   #30
AhmedFaisal
Guest
 
<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 06:02 PM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:14 PM   #31
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816
 
Zombie Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
How the hell is this bill 60 billion dollars?

The bill to stimulate the entire country was 700, a storm costs 10% of that these days?
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:16 PM   #32
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
How the hell is this bill 60 billion dollars?
That won't even begin to cover the damage done to the tri state area. It should be higher.
__________________
The thoughts in my head are rated TV-MA. Viewer discretion is advised.
Now batting, Number 2 Derek Jeter, Number 2
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:17 PM   #33
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816
 
Zombie Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
That won't even begin to cover the damage done to the tri state area. It should be higher.
I'd love to see an itemized list.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:18 PM   #34
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
I'd love to see an itemized list.
Where do you want to start, the subway system, the CT coast or New Jersey?
__________________
The thoughts in my head are rated TV-MA. Viewer discretion is advised.
Now batting, Number 2 Derek Jeter, Number 2
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:25 PM   #35
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816
 
Zombie Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Where do you want to start, the subway system, the CT coast or New Jersey?
I'd like to start with the pork and then figure out how many union outfits are going to be winning contracts for the rebuilding process.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:25 PM   #36
Rob.G
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW Oregon
Christie is a RINO at best. He needs to go the hell away or turn blue like he really is. But if he did, My Belle Michelle would be putting him on a weight-loss program.

Boehner is an idiot. The entire ***** mainstream GOP are idiots. We need to be rid of every one of them. They're no better than the democrats. Only the true Tea Party Conservatives have a clue what's going on, but the GOP wants to be rid of them too because they're in the way of their own power.

So right now we have the democrats in charge, who are far-left marxist/socialist/communist dweebs who want to run everybody's life and make everything "fair" at the cost of what this country stands for. Then we have the GOP, who are just Lite version of the Democrats.

For what it's worth, they walked away from the Sandy bill because it was full of PORK. It's one of the good moves they've made. But the mainstream media and the Left will sensationalize it into something it isn't, which seem to be mostly what this thread is doing. It's no different than somebody voting against reduced arsenic levels in water and therefore being branded "against clean water," which is utter BS. It could just be that levels are FINE where they are and reducing them further would cost too much for everybody. But that's a whole 'nother argument; that was just an example.

I think Boehner is history. There had been talk of Michelle Bachman challenging him. I hope she wins if so.

Rob
__________________
Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7/16gb/256gb SSD/1tb HD
July 2012 MacBook Air 11" 2.0 i7/8gb/256gb
Galaxy Note 3 32gb AT&T / Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition 32gb
Rob.G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:41 PM   #37
AhmedFaisal
Guest
 
<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:42 PM   #38
Rob.G
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
Ahh yes, that would be the way to split the party. I'd like to see that. 2 years of that rabid bitch and the gop is history.
Divide and conquer! I'm all for it. The GOP is no longer relevant.

Figures Boehner would cave. He's a giant orange pansy.

Rob
__________________
Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7/16gb/256gb SSD/1tb HD
July 2012 MacBook Air 11" 2.0 i7/8gb/256gb
Galaxy Note 3 32gb AT&T / Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition 32gb
Rob.G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:46 PM   #39
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Amazing Maze of Maize (Corn Labyrinth)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
There had been talk of Michelle Bachman challenging him. I hope she wins if so.
I was just thinking the other day about how we need someone to put all these gay Muslims in check before they destroy us all by forcing Sharia Law on us, getting us drunk on trendy fruity alcoholic beverages with stupid names, then having us stoned to death under Sharia Law for getting drunk on trendy fruity alcoholic beverages with stupid names.

She is the best Democratic choice. I mean comeon. If they had to pick one person to make them look like shining white knights the country really needs when they go in and clean up the bloody aftermath...

...yeah. Michelle Bachman.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:42 PM   #40
skunk
macrumors Demi-God
 
skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Republic of Ukistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Only the true Tea Party Conservatives have a clue what's going on
For real? Is this a new version of the "True Scotsman" fallacy?

Quote:
So right now we have the democrats in charge, who are far-left marxist/socialist/communist dweebs who want to run everybody's life and make everything "fair" at the cost of what this country stands for.
I think it is highly unlikely you would be recognise a "far-left marxist/socialist/communist dweeb" if you came across one. You clearly have little idea of the realities of the political spectrum.

Quote:
For what it's worth, they walked away from the Sandy bill because it was full of PORK.
Who added the pork in the first place? I have no idea, but I'm curious.
__________________
"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
skunk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:57 PM   #41
NickZac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
As expected, Christie ripped the Reps. and Boehner a new one.
Chris Christie is one of the few people in politics with the balls to call anyone out regardless of party affiliation. That and his level of blunt and doing what he says gets a lot more respect from me than the majority of politicians.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
If he wants to be president, he needs to do two things One is lose weight; he is morbidly obese. He's well over 300 lbs.

The second is to tone it down. A presidential candidate can't be out there yelling at constituents and taking the bait every time someone screams something at him.
I agree with the weight loss but I honestly like how he works. I don't personally think showing emotion is a bad thing nor do I think saying what you think is a bad thing. Look at Mitt Romney for example...little to no emotion, says one thing and does the other, and doesn't actively engage people. No one identified with him and 2/3 of people weren't sure if he was even human. Given Christie won the Gov in NJ, clearly people can identify with him. I can. Everyone is thinking Boehner is a butt hole. Christie says it formally.
NickZac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:02 AM   #42
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Christie is a RINO at best. He needs to go the hell away or turn blue like he really is. But if he did, My Belle Michelle would be putting him on a weight-loss program.

Boehner is an idiot. The entire ***** mainstream GOP are idiots. We need to be rid of every one of them. They're no better than the democrats. Only the true Tea Party Conservatives have a clue what's going on, but the GOP wants to be rid of them too because they're in the way of their own power.

So right now we have the democrats in charge, who are far-left marxist/socialist/communist dweebs who want to run everybody's life and make everything "fair" at the cost of what this country stands for. Then we have the GOP, who are just Lite version of the Democrats.

For what it's worth, they walked away from the Sandy bill because it was full of PORK. It's one of the good moves they've made. But the mainstream media and the Left will sensationalize it into something it isn't, which seem to be mostly what this thread is doing. It's no different than somebody voting against reduced arsenic levels in water and therefore being branded "against clean water," which is utter BS. It could just be that levels are FINE where they are and reducing them further would cost too much for everybody. But that's a whole 'nother argument; that was just an example.

I think Boehner is history. There had been talk of Michelle Bachman challenging him. I hope she wins if so.

Rob

And this folks is why we are where we are in America today. I can't recall ever having read so much misinformation in a single post.
__________________
The distance in time between 1980 and now is the same amount as the distance in time between 1980 and WWII.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:08 AM   #43
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020
 
ugahairydawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
And this folks is why we are where we are in America today. I can't recall ever having read so much misinformation in a single post.
In his defense....he's right about the pork in the bill.

A completely politically tone deaf move by the Republican leadership in the House though. I'm completely fine with telling the Senate to piss off on their bill, but you have to have an aid package of your own ready to go before you do.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:28 AM   #44
Huntn
macrumors 603
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tallest Tree in The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
As expected, Christie ripped the Reps. and Boehner a new one.
Quote:
"There is only one group to blame," Christie said. "The House Majority and John Boehner."

"Last night, the House Majority failed the basic test of leadership and they did so with callous disregard to the people of my state," he said. "It was disappointing and disgusting to watch."
"Shame on you, shame on Congress."

"Our people were played last night as a pawn...and that's why people hate Washington, D.C.," Christie said later. "Last night, my party was responsible.
He tends to be a "tell it like it is" person first, a politician second, which is a refreshing change if he could learn to tone some of his statements down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
Christie isn't exactly uncontroversial. He had exposure to a couple of very questionable development decisions in the New York/New Jersey area that might come back to bite him if he runs for a national office and the papers really dig in to find something... if I were one of the many having to commute into Manhattan or even Jersey City and Newark every day, Mr. Nyet to Infrastructure and Public Transportation development wouldn't be a favorite of mine....
Interesting...
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:08 AM   #45
Rob.G
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
And this folks is why we are where we are in America today. I can't recall ever having read so much misinformation in a single post.
Okay, how about proving me wrong? Rather than just declaring everything I said as wrong, PROVE IT. Go after it point for point with your own facts. Please, let's see it. I'm all ears.

I'll turn it back around on you -- your response is an example of why we're in the America we are in today. You believe the mainstream media; you don't pay attention to what's REALLY happening. You ASSUME you know everything about the Tea Party and the GOP, yet you actually know very little actual truth about them -- again, only what you've heard from the media and other like-minded people you talk to.

So again, please, let's see your version of the facts. I really do want to see them.

Rob
__________________
Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7/16gb/256gb SSD/1tb HD
July 2012 MacBook Air 11" 2.0 i7/8gb/256gb
Galaxy Note 3 32gb AT&T / Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition 32gb
Rob.G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:35 AM   #46
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Okay, how about proving me wrong? Rather than just declaring everything I said as wrong, PROVE IT. Go after it point for point with your own facts. Please, let's see it. I'm all ears.

I'll turn it back around on you -- your response is an example of why we're in the America we are in today. You believe the mainstream media; you don't pay attention to what's REALLY happening. You ASSUME you know everything about the Tea Party and the GOP, yet you actually know very little actual truth about them -- again, only what you've heard from the media and other like-minded people you talk to.

So again, please, let's see your version of the facts. I really do want to see them.

Rob

Your posts would have to have facts in it for one to be able to refute it. Your post is nothing but a bunch of misinformed ********. The fact that you think Michele Bachmann would make a good SOH is laughable at best and downright scary. Has she ever had a bill introduced by her passed, let alone given serious consideration?
__________________
The distance in time between 1980 and now is the same amount as the distance in time between 1980 and WWII.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:39 AM   #47
Rob.G
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Your posts would have to have facts in it for one to be able to refute it. Your post is nothing but a bunch of misinformed ********. The fact that you think Michele Bachmann would make a good SOH is laughable at best and downright scary. Has she ever had a bill introduced by her passed, let alone given serious consideration?
Okay, let's start there. Why do you think Michelle Bachman would be so bad?

And who do YOU think would be better? I'm guessing we at least agree Boehner has go to?

Rob
__________________
Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7/16gb/256gb SSD/1tb HD
July 2012 MacBook Air 11" 2.0 i7/8gb/256gb
Galaxy Note 3 32gb AT&T / Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition 32gb
Rob.G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:50 AM   #48
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Okay, let's start there. Why do you think Michelle Bachman would be so bad?

And who do YOU think would be better? I'm guessing we at least agree Boehner has go to?

Rob

Why does Boehner have to go? Because he's willing to compromise to get things done? Were it not for the completely ignorant Tea Party wing, we'd likely have had a "grand bargain" with real cuts to the budget as well as needed revenues.

As for Bachmann, I can't believe you think she is a serious candidate. This woman is one of the most ignorant people in government and I say that with the full knowledge that Allen West and Joe Walsh do not serve in the 113th Congress.
__________________
The distance in time between 1980 and now is the same amount as the distance in time between 1980 and WWII.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:54 AM   #49
Rob.G
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Why does Boehner have to go? Because he's willing to compromise to get things done? Were it not for the completely ignorant Tea Party wing, we'd likely have had a "grand bargain" with real cuts to the budget as well as needed revenues.
There's a big difference between compromising and totally caving. Boehner is a total wuss. He's not standing up for conservative values -- which is spending cuts and tax cuts. It's been proven time and time again that lowering taxes boosts the economy and increases revenue. Instead, the libs want to increase taxes and increase spending -- giving even more money to people who won't work.

Obama and Reid have been totally unwilling to compromise at all. Boehner's "Plan B" was vastly superior to the deal they just worked out. The GOP is clueless. Get somebody in there who will stand up for conservative values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
As for Bachmann, I can't believe you think she is a serious candidate. This woman is one of the most ignorant people in government and I say that with the full knowledge that Allen West and Joe Walsh do not serve in the 113th Congress.
I'm guessing you feel the same way about Sarah Palin.

Rob
__________________
Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7/16gb/256gb SSD/1tb HD
July 2012 MacBook Air 11" 2.0 i7/8gb/256gb
Galaxy Note 3 32gb AT&T / Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition 32gb
Rob.G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:07 AM   #50
mcrain
Thread Starter
Banned
 
mcrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
It's been proven time and time again that lowering taxes boosts the economy and increases revenue.
I call BS. It has NEVER been "proven" that lowering taxes boosts the economy and increases revenue. There are often many things happening at the same time, and correlation and causation in situations where taxes went down are not equal. If they were, how on earth do you reconcile the periods in our history of fastest growth and higher taxes?

One link
Two Link
Three link
Four

(edit) If lower taxes always increased revenue, how do you explain the CBO numbers that show an extension of the Bush tax cuts as agreed in the fiscal cliff negotiations will at almost $4 trillion to the debt?

See
Quote:
The Congressional Budget Office on Tuesday said Senate-passed legislation to avert the "fiscal cliff" would add nearly $4 trillion to federal deficits over a decade, largely because it would extend low tax rates for almost all Americans. Link 5
Oh, but wait, you can't trust the CBO, and the GOP has been so consistent in its belief that tax cuts cost NOTHING because they always pay for themselves... Right?

Link 6

Last edited by mcrain; Jan 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Proven has a defined meaning
mcrain is offline   2 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC