Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:06 PM   #126
Sandstorm
macrumors regular

iPhone mini makes sense. There are millions of 3,5" iPhones and every app is optimised. Apple could keep both 4" regular iPhone and make a cheaper, 3,5" mini iPhone. If they keep the same thinness and dimensions of top/bottom black bars as in current iPhone 5, the iPhone mini would be definitely the smallest iPhone ever produced. Many many people WANT small and tiny phones. iPhone mini could be a great entry level iPhone. It would also help Apple to quicker get rid of legacy dock connector iPhones and sell just the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5 mini.

By the way, about naming - it's getting messier with every year. With hindsight I think they should never have attached any number or letters to both iPhone or iPad. We would differentiate them all simply by generations. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on. Like iPod touch. Much less confusion. The "new iPad" name still creates confusions. For example, I see resellers selling The new iPad and 4th generation iPad side by side.
Sandstorm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:06 PM   #127
robbyx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn88 View Post
So what? Why HTC, Samsung, and LG can offer multiple sizes and Apple can't? At this point Apple must offer different sizes, if they want to keep up with Samsung and others. There are a lot of amazing Android phones in works.
Keep up? I don't think it's a matter of keeping up. That kind of thinking is just silly. Mine is bigger than yours...

HTC, Samsung, LG could be accused of not keeping up with Apple in terms of ecosystem, cloud services, customer service, etc. But neither is relevant. All of the above offer the products they think the market wants. Apple can barely meet demand for the iPhone. I don't see that as a problem.

Want a bigger screen? Buy an S3. Problem solved. But remember, it's your problem, not Apple's.
robbyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:25 PM   #128
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
I just don't get the draw of having multiple iPhone colors. Black and white work just fine. If you want more color just put a nice skin on it which you can then change as much as you want!

Besides that it creates a nightmare for inventory control. Just too many SKUs... 3 Memory options x 4 Carrier options x ?? Colors x ?? screen sizes???
Yeah, they'll end up with a crapload of the more unpopular colours, that they won't be able to get rid of.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:44 PM   #129
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

iPhone Miniой(TM)
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:49 PM   #130
jstnlzr
macrumors regular

More color selects aside from B/W would be great!
jstnlzr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:54 PM   #131
neech7
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by room237 View Post
My dog can be an analyst.
I hope your dog knows how to use 'i.e.' better than this guy.
neech7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:06 PM   #132
saturn88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyx View Post
Keep up? I don't think it's a matter of keeping up. That kind of thinking is just silly. Mine is bigger than yours...
Meeting consumer needs (for a large screen) is not silly: it's a good business. It is respecting your customer. One size fits all approach is silly, lazy and arrogant.

Quote:
Apple can barely meet demand for the iPhone. I don't see that as a problem.
If you have a product in high demand, but can not meet the demand, it's a bad business. Plain and simple. Why can't you build enough of them?

Quote:
Want a bigger screen? Buy an S3. Problem solved. But remember, it's your problem, not Apple's.
yea, I have to pay someone else to solve my problem. Apple is giving away a huge piece of market to competition: it's a bad business. No wonder AAPL lost so much.
saturn88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:12 PM   #133
KonaMacMike
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to KonaMacMike
I'll take a blue one!
KonaMacMike is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:12 PM   #134
Gigaman
macrumors regular

I maintained my phone in great condition... Until I added a case that scratched it when I took it out. I'd love to go back with no case and have a red iPhone.
Gigaman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:19 PM   #135
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

I swear! All of these fanboys saying they don't want anything more than 4" (there are droves of them here!) the second Apple releases an iPhone larger than 4" most of them are going to want it so bad ... and people will defend it, saying it is the new perfect screen size.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:24 PM   #136
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Offering other colors sounds like a move Nokia once made.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:25 PM   #137
robbyx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn88 View Post
Meeting consumer needs (for a large screen) is not silly: it's a good business. It is respecting your customer. One size fits all approach is silly, lazy and arrogant.

If you have a product in high demand, but can not meet the demand, it's a bad business. Plain and simple. Why can't you build enough of them?

yea, I have to pay someone else to solve my problem. Apple is giving away a huge piece of market to competition: it's a bad business. No wonder AAPL lost so much.
You clearly don't understand Apple at all. Apple's manufacturing partners are working around the clock to meet demand. They are MAXED OUT. Get it? It's not that tough to understand.

There are plenty of consumers with NO NEED for a larger screen. In fact, there are plenty of consumers who would jump ship if the screen got bigger (myself included). Apple makes design choices just like Samsung, HTC, etc. Those companies are trying to distinguish themselves from the iPhone with bigger screens. Good for them. If you want a bigger screen, buy one. You won't be missed, trust me. Apple has no reason to increase the screen size when it can't even produce enough phones at the current size.

The one size fits all approach is far from lazy and arrogant. It's good business. It ensures excellent support because there aren't a gazillion models to support. It allows design to be optimized. It encourages a robust developer community by not requiring developers to support a gazillion different sizes, shapes, and resolutions.

You don't have a "problem." You have a desired feature, one that is offered by a variety of competitors. That's the free market for you. So buy one already. You can hardly claim that Apple is losing business when each quarter is better than the previous one and when device sales continue to go up, up, UP.

As for the stock, frankly, you're an idiot if you think its performance has anything to do with the screen size on the iPhone.

Last edited by robbyx; Jan 2, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
robbyx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:25 PM   #138
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by xofruitcake View Post
And I can think of 20m (the number of S3 sales in 3Q12) reason why Apple need need to seriously consider having a bigger phone. In a lot of countries, smartphone is used partially as a mobile video player. And 4 inches is perfect for using app on the run but not watching video on the run. There is really no benefit for Apple not to offer bigger screen. They need to figure out how to deal with Apps fragmentation problems but they have at least 20-30M unit type of sales opportunity that they give up by not tackling the problem.
the app fragmentation problem is reason # 1 that it won't happen. It's a big issue. For that reason alone, it won't happen.

#2: They would lose their profit margins. Say they make a 4" model and a 4.8" model. Sure maybe they would sell 20-30M of the 4.8" model... but what is the net gain of consumers. Meaning how many people wouldn't have bought a 4" model anyway, if it were the only option? Maybe 5-10M? Now say apple makes a mini 3" model as well as the 4" and 4.8". Sure they may sell a few more, but there is diminishing returns. It takes a lot in R&D, manufacturing, etc for each new product. Apple is struggling to manage demand already.

#3: Apple is convinced 4" is the largest you can get one handed operation (and I agree). Apple isn't the "choice" type of company. They pick what they believe is best for the consumer and shove it down their throat. Typically they are right. It's not quite a one size fits all, but it fits most and that's good enough for Apple.

I, personally, think that any size from 4"-5.2" is kind of an awkward size for a phone. It's too big to really be used one handed, but it deceptively makes you think that you can... untill you try to touch something you can't reach. If you need to use both hands anyway, just go for size. That's why I think the 5.5"-6" phablets actually are a very interesting and potentially promising market. They tell you upfront "I am a two handed device" and you get a good amount of screen real estate for it. Sure it makes kind of a terrible phone, but I find myself using that feature less and less. I think an iPhone/iPad mini combo is awesome. But it's still two devices. Would a 6" iOS phablet be an ideal one size fits all? or would it be a terrible compromise that tries too hard to be something that it's not? I don't really know
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:31 PM   #139
raptorstv
Banned

If Apple releases 4.8" screen i'll be first to line up. Im so excited woooooo
raptorstv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:43 PM   #140
robbyx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
I swear! All of these fanboys saying they don't want anything more than 4" (there are droves of them here!) the second Apple releases an iPhone larger than 4" most of them are going to want it so bad ... and people will defend it, saying it is the new perfect screen size.
I don't think so. I've checked out phones with larger screens and I have no desire to carry something that bulky in my pocket. Nor do I find phones with larger screens comfortable to hold while talking. I really don't see much advantage to the larger screen other than watching video. I really can't be bothered to watch anything more than a YouTube clip on a 4" (or 5", for that matter) screen anyway.

Screen size is a very important variable. Apple isn't going to offer a wider screen after just releasing the iPhone 5. Look at how long it took them to make the screen longer. They have two screen sizes to support on the iPhone now. They aren't going to add a third. Certainly not anytime soon.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
Would a 6" iOS phablet be an ideal one size fits all? or would it be a terrible compromise that tries too hard to be something that it's not? I don't really know
I vote terrible compromise. I sold my iPad and bought an iPad mini and LOVE it. The size is perfect. But I can't imagine the iPad interface reduced any farther. And the iPhone interface is ideal for the screen size. Increase the size and what interface do you use? Likewise, I can't really imagine an iPhone Mini because the screen would be too small for accomplishing anything meaningful. Sure, it would be fine for phone calls and texting, but surfing the web?

The phablet concept is ok if you carry a bag, briefcase, etc. But who wants something like that in one's pocket? I like having two devices. I want a bigger screen for reading a magazine. The iPad Mini hits the sweet spot there. Anything smaller would be uncomfortable. And I want a smaller screen for when I'm on the go and need to carry my device in my pocket. And that's when the iPhone hits the sweet spot.
robbyx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:50 PM   #141
komodrone
Banned

multiple sizes? **** no.
how are developers going to write great looking apps? use autolayout? no ****ing way. unless they use the same aspect ratio for all sizes.
komodrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:56 PM   #142
Lancer
macrumors 68000

I wouldn't mind more choice on the iPhone front for the size but color, shouldn't that be left to protective covers which we can change at any time for low cost?

More important to me is the cost of the iPhone plans. Right now I'm on a low cost with my 3Gs, just $30 per month. To get the latest iPhone I'd be looking at more than doubling my monthly cost here in Australia. This is one reason I've not upgraded yet. The other is the fact I need an Intel Mac to sync with, which should be resolved soon.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:08 PM   #143
Bchagey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng-design View Post
I hope this is true. Apple has to start offering larger sizes to stay competitive.

I understand about pixel count and why they feel it's important to maintain it for the Retina display. But keep in mind that HTC released the Droid DNA, which is 5", has a 1080p HD screen and most reviews agree that the sharpness and clarity is on par with the Retina display on Apple's iPhone. Also keep in mind that after a certain point, the human eye cannot differentiate the difference in pixels.

Other companies are making larger screens, with quality that is set to compete with Apple. We cannot continue to sit back and act like the 4" screen is "good enough" while completely ignoring the fact that millions of consumers have moved over to larger Android phones.

Bigger isn't always better, and we know that. So I think offering multiple sizes is smart on Apple's part. If people want to stick with a 3.5" or 4", fine. Let them have it. But if people want a larger screen that competes with Android phones, we need an iPhone option for that too.

If Apple tries to skate through 2013 without offering a larger iPhone, I really think it's going to hurt them.
Agreed. Hell there is difference screen sizes for iMac, macbook, and iPad. Why not iphone? Yeah the 4s is still available but it's not the latest and greatest, doesn't even have 4g LTE
Bchagey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:11 PM   #144
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
This is so true.

Pre-iPhone 5

3.5'' is perfect, Apple doesn't need to follow Android, 4'' is too big and sucks for one hand, it causes fragmentation, Apple would never do it, what about the developers, this is going to become like Android, I want a smaller screen, etc.
irDigital0l is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:13 PM   #145
Rufuss Sewell
macrumors regular

I know tons of former iPhone zealots who have switched or want to switch to Android because they offer bigger screens.

I can't believe all you whiny brats that think people shouldn't have options just because you are happy with a 4" black phone.

Apple absolutely needs to include themselves in the "bigger screen/battery" category. And adding some colors would be fine.

This will have absolutely zero effect on your medium sized black phone.

Fragmentation? Are you serious? This is the most valuable company in the world. They can keep track. Haha. Developers will adjust. God you guys are ridiculous.
Rufuss Sewell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:14 PM   #146
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Offering other colors sounds like a move Nokia once made.
Its not like Apple hasn't offered color options before...

-iMacs
-iPod shuffle
-iPod nano
-iPod touch
-Smart Covers

Keep black and white...and new colors. Don't see the issue here.
irDigital0l is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:26 PM   #147
h4ck
macrumors regular

yeah, ok.

----------

*shrug* - the reason i don't use my nokia lumia is because it's too big.

if the iphone screen gets any bigger, it'll be the reason i stop using it as well. i want to be able to use a phone COMFORTABLY, using one hand. I commute every morning to work on the train, and i want to be able to change music etc. whilst holding a coffee, newspaper, etc, and not have to juggle it. i cannot comfortably reach from the bottom right to the top left with my thumb without adjusting my grip. i could do that perfectly fine before.

this is a simple issue of ergonomics and usage. it's not about watching a movie on a 9" telephone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
This is so true.

Pre-iPhone 5

3.5'' is perfect, Apple doesn't need to follow Android, 4'' is too big and sucks for one hand, it causes fragmentation, Apple would never do it, what about the developers, this is going to become like Android, I want a smaller screen, etc.

----------

woah, someone intelligent has shown up since i was last here.

my favorite is the "apple needs to $this to compete/stay competitive" - yeah, okay. since that's what apple has always been about.

Quote:
You clearly don't understand Apple at all. Apple's manufacturing partners are working around the clock to meet demand. They are MAXED OUT. Get it? It's not that tough to understand.

There are plenty of consumers with NO NEED for a larger screen. In fact, there are plenty of consumers who would jump ship if the screen got bigger (myself included). Apple makes design choices just like Samsung, HTC, etc. Those companies are trying to distinguish themselves from the iPhone with bigger screens. Good for them. If you want a bigger screen, buy one. You won't be missed, trust me. Apple has no reason to increase the screen size when it can't even produce enough phones at the current size.

The one size fits all approach is far from lazy and arrogant. It's good business. It ensures excellent support because there aren't a gazillion models to support. It allows design to be optimized. It encourages a robust developer community by not requiring developers to support a gazillion different sizes, shapes, and resolutions.

You don't have a "problem." You have a desired feature, one that is offered by a variety of competitors. That's the free market for you. So buy one already. You can hardly claim that Apple is losing business when each quarter is better than the previous one and when device sales continue to go up, up, UP.

As for the stock, frankly, you're an idiot if you think its performance has anything to do with the screen size on the iPhone.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:32 PM   #148
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarScott View Post
Yeah, I can't see them going any bigger than 4" in the near future. The adverts were pretty adamant that Apple had found the perfect size and they were a clear dig at companies such as Samsung releasing phones in ridiculous sizes.
I think the SGS3 is way too big at 4.8" diag, but I think the iPhone is just a tad bit small at 4" diag.

I'd like to see something in-between the two sizes...split the difference at 4.4" diag.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Its not like Apple hasn't offered color options before...

-iMacs
-iPod shuffle
-iPod nano
-iPod touch
-Smart Covers

Keep black and white...and new colors. Don't see the issue here.
They should offer Black/White/Silver as base and the other colors as 'order' options via the store/online.

That way Apple doesn't get stuck with colors people don't want, etc.
Ryth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:34 PM   #149
apple.net
macrumors member

This time, let's make it wider, but not taller.
apple.net is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:36 PM   #150
rendevouspoo
macrumors regular

Quote:
That's extremely arrogant and simply not true. S3 is without a doubt giving Apple some problems, and with the release of the S4 in the future, it's going to get tough for Apple. Apple users cannot still call the Samsung line 'cheap' or the Android OS 'cheap,' because now they are on par.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion