Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyomagi

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Ok. Heres the deal, i want a bigger ipad with a zagg keyboard case to replace my 4 y/o netbook.

I never use siri, so we can put that away

I web browse
Watch movies
Play games
Read comics.

Thats all, is the upgrade from the 2 to the 4 really worth the extra $100?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
If one already owns a 2, maybe not. But the $100 extra cost for the 4th gen for screen, processor, ram etc is well worth it.

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
I've got an iPad 2, and I do basically what you're saying... Mine works fine. There's even a thread I posted asking about upgrading to the 4, and the consensus was that it isn't worth it at the moment.

Now, on the other hand, buying the 2 now means you have no choice but 16GB. You aren't going to be able to store a whole lot on it. If you're thinking about need more space for movies, you'll want to look at the new model.

Oh, and the 2 can't play 1080p movies, so if you're syncing them from a local iTunes library, that may play into your decision as well.

Basically, it comes down to the question is the better screen and slightly smoother experience worth $100?

Just my two cents.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
4. Hands down. The A6X, Retina class screen, are both WELL worth the $100 premium.

The 2 is good for older non-techies, grand parents, aunts and uncles who want a new reading toy and can't appreciate the higher density display, etc.

But if you're under 40, and techie enough to find and join this messageboard. 4. No contest.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Does the 1 have the same screen as the two?

I know me going from a one to a 4 was a major increase and the screen is very bright and clear and makes reading websites really good - also I imagine comics would look 'richer' and more colourful?

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
i didnt see a point in upgrading my 2 to a 4, but i wouldnt buy a 2 over a 4 if i was buying new. i personally up/down/sidegraded by 2 to a mini though

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
If I was buying my first iPad, I'd be more inclined to get the best one available at the time, so I'd choose the iPad 4.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Upgrading from 2 to 4 is one thing. Picking between the two when new is a whole other. Would I take the loss from selling the 2 and adding the money to buy the 4? No. I have the 2 and its still great for everything plus it still does most everything except siri as far as new iOS6 features.

On the other hand, if for only $100 more I could upgrade to the 4, that's a no brainer. Even if you don't use/need the faster processor and more ram now, you will eventually. Plus, you get the better screen, and you get the newer connector. Not that the connector is a feature per se, but I sure wouldn't want to buy into the 30 pin standard at this point, knowing that its going away.

Basically, the 2 has a usable life that is a couple years shorter than the 4 at this point. That's worth $100 to me, not to mention the better features you get along the way.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Upgrading from 2 to 4 is one thing. Picking between the two when new is a whole other. Would I take the loss from selling the 2 and adding the money to buy the 4? No. I have the 2 and its still great for everything plus it still does most everything except siri as far as new iOS6 features.

On the other hand, if for only $100 more I could upgrade to the 4, that's a no brainer. Even if you don't use/need the faster processor and more ram now, you will eventually. Plus, you get the better screen, and you get the newer connector. Not that the connector is a feature per se, but I sure wouldn't want to buy into the 30 pin standard at this point, knowing that its going away.

Basically, the 2 has a usable life that is a couple years shorter than the 4 at this point. That's worth $100 to me, not to mention the better features you get along the way.

Terrific post.

Outright, you own neither? 4 hands down.

[much] Better display
Faster CPU and GPU
Faster WiFi
Better Rear Cam
Better Front Cam
[arguably] better connector in Lightening

Even in "general" use, the display/speed improvements are notable.

Upgrading from a 2? Just depends, the 2 is still a great device.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Better display

This cannot be overstated. The iPad 3/4 retina display is stunning. I had an iPad 2 for about a week and swapped it, paid the extra $100 and got the iPad 4. Needless to say, I am blown away. It makes me use the iPad more often just because I know the screen is actually better than my computer.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Do you play hardcore graphic games, anyhow i doubt there are many in the appstore anyway. Ipad 4 probly load those games a second or two quicker than 2.

When i bought my 2, 4 is not out yet. I chose 2 over 3 because 3 got really hot when i was testing at the shop and i dont see a major diff in screen quality. Maybe im old. Now i test the 4 at the shop and it still feel quite hot to me. The screen is set at full brightness though so maybe thats why. You should go try. Extra 100$ for better screen and probably equal or better battery life, slight heavier.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Absolutely worth it. And since resell value of iPad 4 is more than $100 above the iPad 2, technically you will not even spend extra.

dreamerdonkey

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Bangladesh
Once I have the same dilemma. Because this Christmas my parent give me an iPad II and one of my friend told me to exchange it for an iPad IV. I can't distinguish between two because I never use an iPad before. But after I change it (i actually don't open the box and replace it with a new iPad IV from the apple store) I never regret about taking the decision. Because it really worth extra $100 at least for it retina display. And later I find out it's also faster than an iPad II. It almost have double processing power and physical memory. And as you mention that you only wish to use it for doing lite work like browsing and reading comic book. But hey is not it wise to always get the latest device because iPad II is already old and apple almost stop updating its iOS. But at the end its totally up to you. :cool:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
My friend went to BB yesterday. He got a 4th gen that was returned and saved some money.

They even let him look through what was available. Two were never even used, the box was just opened!

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
You can save some money and get an iPad 3 for about the cost of a new 2. To me the 3 is still better than a 2 for the retina graphics.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Get a refurbished iPad 3. It comes with iOS 5.1.1, jailbreak that bad boy and do things that you could only dream of. Basically your iPad will become a touch screen notebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.