Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cjshino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
First off i love my 11' MBA 2012. I love the OSX, trackpad and other goodies it has but i want the use of some windows programs. I know i can use bootcamp but i only have a 64gb model so space will be a big issue and I really dont wanna pay to get windows 7. What do you think I should do? I really dont wanna return my MBA but If I do I will get an ultrabook instead. Im not trolling or anything I just want some honest answers.

Also this is the laptop i would get instead although I prefer Backlit instead of the touchscreen.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...s?id=1218806579532&skuId=6774611#tab=overview

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
First off i love my 11' MBA 2012. I love the OSX, trackpad and other goodies it has but i want the use of some windows programs. I know i can use bootcamp but i only have a 64gb model so space will be a big issue and I really dont wanna pay to get windows 7. What do you think I should do? I really dont wanna return my MBA but If I do I will get an ultrabook instead. Im not trolling or anything I just want some honest answers.

Also this is the laptop i would get instead although I prefer Backlit instead of the touchscreen.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...s?id=1218806579532&skuId=6774611#tab=overview

Only you know what you are more productive in. If you are more productive in Windows (many users are) then you should get a Windows laptop.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Sounds definitely u should go back to Windows.

The Sammy... 5.5 LB (ouch!), 13" (vs MBA 11"), Battery life unknown, backlit kbd? (download manual from Samsung and confirm), and can u get it with Win7? 'coz looks like it comes with Win8 which lots of ppl find annoying.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
Your SSD is way too small for how you want to use your machine. Upgrade and you will be fine. Of course you have to buy the OS, did you believe Microsoft would give their software to you for free?

You may also wish to consider using Parallels to load MS Windows and related software rather than BootCamp which allows you no flexibility and does not allow you to run Windows and OS X software simultaneously as does Parallels.

When I first "Macized" myself I thought that I needed MS software. I really didn't as pretty much everything I use is available in an OS X version.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
I agree with other responses, if Windows works for you have at it.
you can always upgrade to a MBP and run Windows.
I have recently converted to OSX and I can positively say i will never go back to PC.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
850.00 for a pc ??? not for me, it will be worthless in no time, and you get to ward off all those viruses, thats if you can...

If you really need more horsepower, go for a used MBPro or a stuffed Air.

I have been on the Mac system for about a yr and a half, never even thinking of going back to a pc.:apple:

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Have you looked for alternatives in software at all? If so, then yes the solution might be to go back but also, why not sell your MBA and get either a new one or a different Mac with a larger HDD or SSD so you can have both? Or why not have one computer for Windows and one for Mac? I have an MBA and a desktop computer I built with Windows 7 on it. I use that if I have to have Windows for programs for whatever I'm doing.

There are also environments you can either rent or look into Microsofts cloud to get the services you need to access the software you need.

The real question is what is the software you "need"?

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I am a 20+ year Windows user who recently switched to OS X more out of curiosity than anything else...

I can say that there are some things that OS X does better than Windows while there are some things that Windows does better than OS X...

I see it as having the "right tool for the job"...I think that for former Windows such as us it is necessary to run Windows [I use Parallels with no issues] on the same machine as maintained two machines is a PITA...

Perhaps with time I will no longer have a need for Windows though this is unlikely given I run a lot of financial packages that are only available in Windows...

That said, I will keep running a Mac because for things it does better I prefer it...

With that, get a Mac with a bigger hard drive...

Joel

----------

Ooops, one more thing, you could also get a NiftyDrive for your MBA which would add another 64 GB of hard disk space...this should be enough to work with...

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
What programs are they?
Word, excel, and PowerPoint

You might be better off with pages, numbers and keynote. I prefer them after using them, they take up less space and are much cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.