Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1
jigsb007
macrumors 6502

iPhoto/Lightroom/Aperture ???

Hello All !!

Again, new Mac user, which one should i use to manage my photos ???
i have iphoto , Lightroom and Aperture...what do i suggest ??

which one is best ? and and which way ??
jigsb007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:36 AM   #2
maflynn

Please review this thread for LR vs. Aperture

Pick which one you like the best. There's no right or wrong answer, but rather personal preference.
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Bending Pixels
macrumors 6502a

iPhoto and Aperture are a better choice if you're heavily invested in the Mac ecosystem (i.e. have an iPad/iPhone). LR does a better job at "developing" images.

FWIW, it seems that a new version of Aperture is on the horizon. A couple of "Aperture evangelists" have hinted at it, with one indicating he has a book in the works (but can't reveal anything beyond that due to a NDA)
Bending Pixels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

When I was in a similar position to you I tried all the photo apps I could find and just confused myself. I spent more time playing with different apps than I did in enjoying my images,

All the apps have supporters and detractors. So my advice is pick one and learn to use it, do not flit from one to another. As to which one is best? If you are new to this then pick one that friends use so you may draw on their expertise and experience. Having said that, I would skip iPhoto and pick from Aperture or Lightroom.
Dc2006ster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:47 PM   #5
flynz4
macrumors 68040

I agree that the choice should be between LR and Aperture. I own both. I started... and continued with Aperture. I love it. I like the integration with the rest of Mac OSX.

If you are going to really actively use dual platform (PC and Mac)... the LR is the obvious answer. However, few people will actually use both platforms and choose either PC or Mac for their photo libraries even if they own both (most will chose Mac).

Do not try to get into a feature for feature comparison between the two. Anyone can "cook the books" to make either one of them look best.

If needed... flip a coin and get on with enjoying your photos.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store