Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:38 PM   #76
pradeepgj
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
come on fellas. Every one needs a vacation. Including apple device features. It will come back on the 7th. Just chill.
pradeepgj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:59 PM   #77
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a
 
AppleMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The CCTV Capital of the World
Quote:
Originally Posted by macchiato2009 View Post
my african or arabian friends are even ashamed of seeing this kind of situations
Why is it that racists always use that classic line to justify their racist opinion. 'My friends are immigrants so I can say anything without being racist'

If we are to stereotype, then the French as a nation (irrespective of cultural diversity) has been rioting since they stormed the Bastille in 1789

Humour aside, it is the impoverished and uneducated, for whom many (but by no means all) are immigrants now do some of the rioting and cause civil unrest.

What about when the French truck drivers barricade roads, ports, set fire to trucks and beat-up anybody who has an issue with this?

Or when the French fishermen block the ports, again using aggression against anybody who dares protest against it?

Are all the truck drivers and fishermen in France all from North Africa?

No......? Point made.
__________________
Although I may not always reply to negative comments, this will not necessarily mean that I concede the point.
AppleMark is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:02 PM   #78
hamkor04
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw360 View Post
Security probably had their Do-Not-Disturb on....
Security had 3 days of training, they convinced to take no risk when they put themselves in danger

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Missing from the story is the part where Apple files a lawsuit against Samsung over the theft.
that will be against Amazon
__________________
“All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.”
hamkor04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:06 PM   #79
mabhatter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMark View Post
No such thing as an unlucky insurance company, only unlucky insurance policy holders on re-newal day....
At some point Apple is gonna go cyberpunk" on the thieves. At some point Siri is gonna get an attitude more like GLaDOS . Apple has enough money to buy a private army with questionable morals and an eagerness for cash.

I can see Apple troopers swiping in... Kind of like Star Wars with all the white hats. They could turn into a real 1980's evil villain like Cobra! The world needs qualified evil villains because "Achmed" just isn't scaring people. I can see Johnny Ives plotting what national monument needs to be "flatter and thinner.'
mabhatter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:01 PM   #80
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Builddesign View Post
I was offered many things on the Champs Elysees... That strip is full of people and had police combing the street during NYE. Nothing like champagne in streets of Paris. Come to find out that tower lights up every hour!
I already spent NYE there in 2004, so I know what it looks and feels like; it was actually hard to find native French people during that night on the streets - Paris looks great for tourists during the day. Once night falls, it is a hellish haven for criminals, drug addicts and drunkards...

And no, it is NOT racist to state facts - most of the criminal acts in Paris, London and many other parts of Europe are, indeed, due to rampant immigration from North Africa, French-speaking Central Africa and Eastern Europe...is it the State's fault for not giving them more opportunities? Yes, but not the only factor by far.

Lack of punishment and youth crowd behavior are what lead to burned cars; no poor, good soul benefits from committing such stupid acts of barbarism.
50548 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:41 PM   #81
pipa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC, New York
The funny thing is some poor guy is going to buy one of these on eBay and will show up at a Genius Bar for repairs when the genius says "excuse me sir, just give me a second" the next thing the guy knows is he's being grabbed and saying the phone is stolen. There has to be some way they can track these things as far as who's ickoud gets linked to them, Genius Bar visits exc...
pipa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:53 PM   #82
Elijahg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bath, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
And no, it is NOT racist to state facts - most of the criminal acts in Paris, London and many other parts of Europe are, indeed, due to rampant immigration from North Africa, French-speaking Central Africa and Eastern Europe...is it the State's fault for not giving them more opportunities? Yes, but not the only factor by far.
That is true, amazingly in London the British are actually the minority now, which is insane; the first city in the world for this to be the case. In the London riots, you barely saw a British face, they tended to be Asian or North African. Naysayers just need to Google for photos to see. Interesting read here about crime vs race.

Anyway, having Find My Device on for all store devices before setting them up would be good from a security standpoint, but no doubt privacy advocates would be up in arms about it. Blacklisting serial numbers would be a good way to go though imo.
Elijahg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:55 PM   #83
bletso
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: KY USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipa View Post
The funny thing is some poor guy is going to buy one of these on eBay and will show up at a Genius Bar for repairs when the genius says "excuse me sir, just give me a second" the next thing the guy knows is he's being grabbed and saying the phone is stolen. There has to be some way they can track these things as far as who's ickoud gets linked to them, Genius Bar visits exc...
Yea, but in all probability the guy knew he bought a hot item. You don't pay retail for hot merchandise, so if I am offered an item on the street at half price I am certain it's stolen.
bletso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:44 PM   #84
devilstrider
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby.e View Post
We always enabled it on the devices in my store.
All they have to do is put them in DFU mode and restore them.
devilstrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:16 PM   #85
Elijahg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bath, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilstrider View Post
All they have to do is put them in DFU mode and restore them.
I'm getting it'd be a bit late by then, Apple would likely only need to know the location of one device to find them all. It'd take them ages to DFU + restore all those. There is the problem of a lack of SIM card though. But would thieves know about the DFU workaround? Probably not.
Elijahg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:29 PM   #86
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a
 
AppleMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The CCTV Capital of the World
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
I already spent NYE there in 2004, so I know what it looks and feels like; it was actually hard to find native French people during that night on the streets - Paris looks great for tourists during the day. Once night falls, it is a hellish haven for criminals, drug addicts and drunkards...

And no, it is NOT racist to state facts - most of the criminal acts in Paris, London and many other parts of Europe are, indeed, due to rampant immigration from North Africa, French-speaking Central Africa and Eastern Europe...is it the State's fault for not giving them more opportunities? Yes, but not the only factor by far.

Lack of punishment and youth crowd behavior are what lead to burned cars; no poor, good soul benefits from committing such stupid acts of barbarism.
Facts are great. Where are yours and your co-posters?

The posts stating that North Africans are responsible for the problems in Paris are racist in the context in which they were written. The sad fact is that most (uneducated and xenophobic) people are only able to equate racial diversity to colour.

They think nothing of the 'white' immigrant who walks by them in the street, as they do not have the colour identifier to their racial diversity. Just take the USA for example, the current country was founded and populated by immigrants, yet it was (and is....?) the white immigrants who had/have no tolerance for immigrants who were non-white. This is a historic fact, just google "racism USA 1950" for one of many examples.

So yes, the comments are racist when you blanket label a race in this way. The FACT is in London, Eastern European nationals have the highest crime rate.

"Foreigners are accused of more than one in four crimes committed in London, an investigation reveals.
Astonishingly, they make up nine out of ten drug suspects and are responsible for more than one in three sex offences.
Nationals of Poland, Romania and Lithuania are most likely of all foreigners to be prosecuted by the police."


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-London.html

Although it would still be ridiculous to imply that the problem is all down to them. But like I said the ('white's only') racists only see what they want to see..., until it's too late for them...

For what it is worth, I spent the entire summer in France and spent 2 weeks in Paris. The only people I saw being chased down the street by the Police or aggressively begging for money or illegally selling were Gypsies, but I do not want to get you all worked up over that issue also...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post
That is true, amazingly in London the British are actually the minority now, which is insane; the first city in the world for this to be the case. In the London riots, you barely saw a British face, they tended to be Asian or North African. Naysayers just need to Google for photos to see. Interesting read here l


So all the people with non-white faces were not British....? Are you really that uneducated, that you are unable to accept that we are well into a third generation of multiculturalism in the UK? Is it so hard to consider that these people were actually British, or are you supporting my earlier post in that racists only see colour? That you saying that to have non-white skin disqualifies one from being British?

Said like a true racist.
__________________
Although I may not always reply to negative comments, this will not necessarily mean that I concede the point.

Last edited by AppleMark; Jan 2, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
AppleMark is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:46 PM   #87
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816
 
Tankmaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
how would they sell it ? can apple ban them using the serial number... ie, wouldn't accept any repair for the unit ?
__________________
Check out our game Tank Maze
Tankmaze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:20 PM   #88
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lucky Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMark View Post
Facts are great. Where are yours and your co-posters?

(snip) That you saying that to have non-white skin disqualifies one from being British?

Said like a true racist.
Please do not confuse geo-politics with ethnicity.

Anyone can be British, apparently - but not English.
OLDCODGER is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:28 PM   #89
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMark View Post
Facts are great. Where are yours and your co-posters?

The posts stating that North Africans are responsible for the problems in Paris are racist in the context in which they were written. The sad fact is that most (uneducated and xenophobic) people are only able to equate racial diversity to colour.

They think nothing of the 'white' immigrant who walks by them in the street, as they do not have the colour identifier to their racial diversity. Just take the USA for example, the current country was founded and populated by immigrants, yet it was (and is....?) the white immigrants who had/have no tolerance for immigrants who were non-white. This is a historic fact, just google "racism USA 1950" for one of many examples.

So yes, the comments are racist when you blanket label a race in this way. The FACT is in London, Eastern European nationals have the highest crime rate.

"Foreigners are accused of more than one in four crimes committed in London, an investigation reveals.
Astonishingly, they make up nine out of ten drug suspects and are responsible for more than one in three sex offences.
Nationals of Poland, Romania and Lithuania are most likely of all foreigners to be prosecuted by the police."


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-London.html

Although it would still be ridiculous to imply that the problem is all down to them. But like I said the ('white's only') racists only see what they want to see..., until it's too late for them...

For what it is worth, I spent the entire summer in France and spent 2 weeks in Paris. The only people I saw being chased down the street by the Police or aggressively begging for money or illegally selling were Gypsies, but I do not want to get you all worked up over that issue also...

----------





So all the people with non-white faces were not British....? Are you really that uneducated, that you are unable to accept that we are well into a third generation of multiculturalism in the UK? Is it so hard to consider that these people were actually British, or are you supporting my earlier post in that racists only see colour? That you saying that to have non-white skin disqualifies one from being British?

Said like a true racist.
I don't know where you are going with your diatribe, because I am just stating statistical facts which are accepted by you in your quote above. Besides, "North Africa" has nothing to do with race, especially since MOST Arabs from that region are actually white or lighter-skinned than many European whites. In case of doubt, go check again if my post mentions the word "black" or anything like that.

In fact, the problem with most US citizens and other whites of anglo-saxon roots engaging in these discussions is that you, yourselves, suffer from a deeply-rooted racism that despises anything out of the "white anglo-saxon" stereotype.

This is the ONLY reason for official and idiotic classifications that invent hispanic immigrants as a distinct "race" called Latino, even though MOST of them are whiter than any of you (since most of the Latin American populations are, of course, of caucasian/European descent).

Sadly, this is also the only reason for calling a MULATTO, half-caucasian and half-black African like Obama a "black" person (one-drop rule anyone?)...because you're so segregated you can't even accept that someone has mixed blood.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:34 PM   #90
Elijahg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bath, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMark View Post
So all the people with non-white faces were not British....? Are you really that uneducated, that you are unable to accept that we are well into a third generation of multiculturalism in the UK? Is it so hard to consider that these people were actually British, or are you supporting my earlier post in that racists only see colour? That you saying that to have non-white skin unqualifies one from being British?

Said like a true racist.
Thank you for steering the topic entirely off course.

Not sure where you got third generation from, most immigrants have arrived in the last 15 years; which by no coincidence is when Labour decided to open the floodgates.

You seem to keep trying to put words in people's mouths, banging on about racism against non-whites when I said North African (of which there are a high proportion of white people) and Asians (of which there are near enough zero non-white people).

I never said non-whites aren't British, I said you barely saw a British face, by which I meant a native Briton. However, I don't really classify someone as British if they've just arrived from wherever, without a passport due to it being lost/stolen/taken/whatever only to be given British citizenship a week or so later because UKBA is totally snowed under. To be British you at least need to have grown up in the country and mixed with native Britons. There are many places in Britain where the immigrants are so numerous they barely see any natives at all, so they don't learn what British ways of life are like and coincidentally, these places seem to have no rule of law either. Why do they want to be a British citizen when they often just stay in their own communities? St Paul's in Bristol is a good example, it was a prosperous area in the 40's and 50's, then mass immigration to that area has made it a no-go area in the day, let alone at night. You barely ever see a (native) Briton there, only when they're picking up the pieces of the latest murder.

If you don't think race is the issue, why then were they mainly non-natives in the riots? Why are so many African states always at war? I noticed you ignored my link, too many facts in it? You seem to be one of these people who deems any criticism against immigrants/non-whites as racism, when it's completely fair especially as the facts have been presented to you.
Elijahg is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:39 PM   #91
MacCurry
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post
Thank you for steering the topic entirely off course.

Not sure where you got third generation from, most immigrants have arrived in the last 15 years; which by no coincidence is when Labour decided to open the floodgates.

You seem to keep trying to put words in people's mouths, banging on about racism against non-whites when I said North African (of which there are a high proportion of white people) and Asians (of which there are near enough zero non-white people).

I never said non-whites aren't British, I said you barely saw a British face, by which I meant a native Briton. However, I don't really classify someone as British if they've just arrived from wherever, without a passport due to it being lost/stolen/taken/whatever only to be given British citizenship a week or so later because UKBA is totally snowed under. To be British you at least need to have grown up in the country and mixed with native Britons. There are many places in Britain where the immigrants are so numerous they barely see any natives at all, so they don't learn what British ways of life are like and coincidentally, these places seem to have no rule of law either. Why do they want to be a British citizen when they often just stay in their own communities? St Paul's in Bristol is a good example, it was a prosperous area in the 40's and 50's, then mass immigration to that area has made it a no-go area in the day, let alone at night. You barely ever see a (native) Briton there, only when they're picking up the pieces of the latest murder.

If you don't think race is the issue, why then were they mainly non-natives in the riots? Why are so many African states always at war? I noticed you ignored my link, too many facts in it? You seem to be one of these people who deems any criticism against immigrants/non-whites as racism, when it's completely fair especially as the facts have been presented to you.

Both the UK and France colonized and looted countries in Africa and Asia, and are now getting their retribution. Consider it payback or reparations for what they did in those places. The French have their North Africans and the Brits have their subcontinental rejects. Here in America, we wiped out the natives and they took revenge by opening up casinos in all states and don't pay federal taxes on certain items which is a a better setup in my opinion.
__________________
2006 Quad Core Mac Pro; 2008 24" iMac; 2009 MacMini; 2009 MacBook Pro; Couple of Airport Extreme routers, iPad Wifi 32GB; iPad2 3G 32GB; iPad3 3G 32GB, Assorted half-dozen iPods; Apple TV 2
MacCurry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:17 AM   #92
Cartaphilus
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
Close to £1 million only if you think £811800 is close to a £1 million pounds.
Or, alternatively, if you think that close to €1.232.690,00 is "well over 1 million euros".
Cartaphilus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:24 AM   #93
Technarchy
macrumors 601
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
What would take to get the equivalent value out of Samsung products? Hell, you'd probably have to take a whole Costco hostage.
__________________
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:33 AM   #94
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lucky Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCurry View Post
Both the UK and France colonized and looted countries in Africa and Asia, and are now getting their retribution. Consider it payback or reparations for what they did in those places. The French have their North Africans and the Brits have their subcontinental rejects. Here in America, we wiped out the natives and they took revenge by opening up casinos in all states and don't pay federal taxes on certain items which is a a better setup in my opinion.

Nice to get the facts from a history major./
OLDCODGER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:42 AM   #95
damitssam
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Sorry france. This is what you get voting in pro-immigration government officials. I mean how hard is it for you to screw up. You don't even share a BORDER with a 3rd world country.

Meanwhile in the states, any foreign africans / asians you meet here are generations for well educated, relatively affluent since they have to jump through a lot of hoops to make it in.

You never see riots here in the states anymore. The police here at least have balls to put some law in order, something mr. socialist france seems incapable of.

Never going to Paris unless its a one-two day jaunter through on my honeymoon to get it off the checklist. Same with London.

Btw, Nice is real nice and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even the people on the streets were happy to converse in English!
damitssam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:47 AM   #96
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030
 
iSayuSay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
Why? Were there riots on the Champs Elysees?
Lacks of imagination .. I see?
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:01 AM   #97
jacobj
macrumors 65816
 
jacobj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by usasalazar View Post
The French are great at surrendering and turning their stuff over to invaders.
Spoken by someone not from a country or generation that has has to face an invasion from an equivalent force with which it shares a land border I assume. Then let's not forget the 10's of thousands of French that died for their resistance.

Thanks for the stereotype again. For someone who obviously likes their history you forget that America's independence is owed in no small part to the French and that one of America's greatest symbols was a gift from them. This last paragraph assumes you are American of course. It is not an attack on all Americans either, just those who say stupid stuff like this. All nations have such people alas.

As for the story, it is sad but not surprising.

PS €1m = circa $1.3m
jacobj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:08 AM   #98
iWe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampyhead View Post
Wow, I was just in that store recently...
Apple needs to find a way to beef up their security in these stores. The more these stories are in the news the more smash and grabs are going to happen...
It's time for the U.S. the broaden the operational range of drones to French soil.
iWe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:09 AM   #99
jacobj
macrumors 65816
 
jacobj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
And no, it is NOT racist to state facts - most of the criminal acts in Paris, London and many other parts of Europe are, indeed, due to rampant immigration from North Africa, French-speaking Central Africa and Eastern Europe...
That simply isn't true, for London at least. Recent crime stats show that percentage of crimes committed in the city by a given nationality pretty much in line with the population proportions, e.g. If 5% of crimes are by the Polish it's because they represent 5% of the population. The argument is a false one. It would be like looking at a France that has 100% French nationals, seeing the stat that shows 100% of crimes are committed by the French and arguing that immigration is the only solution to the reduction in crime. Immigration isn't the issue, the aggregation of wealth and lack of social equality is. The idea that the wealthy deserve their wealth is a false one as wealth generates more wealth as a rule, and the few wealthy that come from nothing are only adverts, not the norm. Privilege should be earned, not expected.

Also I find the idea that because you are born Into a rich country you are entitled to be a strange one based on nothing. The boundary is arbitrary and I can't see why global equality isn't the goal rather than protectionism. All countries rise and fall: the only long term solution is global equality. It is very very far away, but you have to keep an eye in it and consider it at all times when debating national policy.

Last edited by jacobj; Jan 3, 2013 at 03:09 AM.
jacobj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:27 AM   #100
MikeyMike01
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92jlee View Post
If their products weren't so over priced then there wouldn't be such a false second hand product market. You don't see people smash and grab PC World for some Samsung laptops because their prices are reasonable so there isn't a stupid second hand market.
It's basic supply and demand.

For Windows PCs, there is low demand (for secondhand models) and high supply.

For Macs, there is high demand (for secondhand models, partly because of the price) and lower supply.

So if you were being fair, you'd have said that Apple's lack of cheap products drives demand for used (and therefore cheaper) models to be higher, along with the lack of competition in OS X and iOS devices, and the fact that their products are seen as luxury items.

None of which, by the way, Apple would ever want to change.
MikeyMike01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Berlin Apple Retail Store Smashed by Car, Display Merchandise Stolen MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 84 Mar 5, 2014 06:43 AM
Apple Tops $10 Billion in App Store Payouts, 1 Million Daily Retail Store Visitors MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 2 Jun 11, 2013 08:13 PM
Apple store reportedly robbed over new year in Paris aircanman Community Discussion 0 Jan 1, 2013 05:41 PM
Apple's Temecula Retail Store Reportedly Smashed by Car, Merchandise Stolen MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 145 Oct 5, 2012 04:49 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC