Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Saw I have a new user ranking. Did the admins change up the titles?

I now see a g5 is 12000 posts. Interesting
Yep, they are being changed, but the system isn't perfect yet. It's a work in progress, apparently.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Strange. And now I can never be a G4, what a shame.

Anyway, what is a "P6"?

From Wikipedia:

The P6 microarchitecture is the sixth generation Intel x86 microarchitecture, implemented by the Pentium Pro microprocessor that was introduced in November 1995. It is sometimes referred to as i686.[citation needed] It was succeeded by the NetBurst microarchitecture in 2000, but eventually revived in the Pentium M line of microprocessors. The successor to the Pentium M variant of the P6 microarchitecture is the Core microarchitecture.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I disagree. As much as I like the G5 moniker, bein G5 means you have spent your time to be here and have helped and put serious input into the community. I don't feel G5 should be lowered this easily

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I might be inclined to agree if the old value for G5 (and previous to them; that would be the G4, G3 and 604 are reduced by 1k to 2k post count). However a drastic drop like this is not agreeable.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't see why it was found necessary to mess with the existing titles. The only thing that was needed was adding some categories at the high end, as more posters are reaching the upper levels. It's not a big deal, obviously, but it doesn't appear to have any benefit in changing them.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I don't see why it was found necessary to mess with the existing titles. The only thing that was needed was adding some categories at the high end, as more posters are reaching the upper levels. It's not a big deal, obviously, but it doesn't appear to have any benefit in changing them.

Well mega posters for one are going to benefit. I disagree. Titles should always mean something, right now they are down the gutter.

We should make a petition to address this and flip the the titles back to their original standpoint. If they really want to lower it at least make it less drastic of a drop.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well mega posters for one are going to benefit.
I don't understand how that's true at all. Someone who "earned" a G5 over the years now finds others achieving that title with much less work. That doesn't sound like a benefit.
Titles should always mean something, right now they are down the gutter.
I agree. They should have left the existing title structure, and only added a few titles at the high end.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

The idea was to add newer Intel CPU's to the mix, since the PowerPC has been gone for a long time. We also wanted to change the thresholds of post counts to give some users a "promotion" of sorts and allow every one to move up more quickly through some of the ranks. The high-end ranks are still quite top heavy regarding post-count requirements. So some of us will have to work just as hard as ever to achieve those ones.

We just thought it would be a nice change of pace and an opportunity to freshen things up a little. In time, people will get used to it. :)

----------

I don't understand how that's true at all. Someone who "earned" a G5 over the years now finds others achieving that title with much less work. That doesn't sound like a benefit.

I agree. They should have left the existing title structure, and only added a few titles at the high end.

Adding titles at the high-end is really unrealistic because only a few users will likely ever achieve those titles while the rest of the user base will be stuck in the much lower ranks. This gives more people something to look forward to.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
The idea was to add newer Intel CPU's to the mix, since the PowerPC has been gone for a long time. We also wanted to change the thresholds of post counts to give some users a "promotion" of sorts and allow every one to move up more quickly through some of the ranks. The high-end ranks are still quite top heavy regarding post-count requirements. So some of us will have to work just as hard as ever to achieve those ones.

We just thought it would be a nice change of pace and an opportunity to freshen things up a little. In time, people will get used to it. :)

----------

Adding titles at the high-end is really unrealistic because only a few users will likely ever achieve those titles while the rest of the user base will be stuck in the much lower ranks. This gives more people something to look forward to.

Do you have a list of the post counts and resulting rankings? The FAQ only goes up to 12000=g5 and GGJs post earlier makes no sense to me lol

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Do you have a list of the post counts and resulting rankings? The FAQ only goes up to 12000=g5 and GGJs post earlier makes no sense to me lol

We have the list in the back room, but I'm not authorized to release it; that would be something for Doctor Q to release. :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The high-end ranks are still quite top heavy regarding post-count requirements.
Apparently, the requirements are even higher now, as titles used to change at 5000 post increments. Now it appears to be higher between titles.
If that was the goal, to change things up for existing posters, that's cool. I'm sure many will not be excited about changing something that appeared to work for years, but again, this is only user titles, which aren't highly important in the overall scheme of things.
Adding titles at the high-end is really unrealistic because only a few users will likely ever achieve those titles
But some are reaching those levels, and the titles stopped with G5. Adding a few titles to accommodate those reaching higher levels was the only thing missing.
the rest of the user base will be stuck in the much lower ranks. This gives more people something to look forward to.
Again, if the reason was to provide some incentive for users with lower post levels, that's fine. It would be helpful if all post titles and requirements were added to the list, rather than stopping at 12,000 posts. Otherwise, there will be a lot of threads started, asking for clarification of titles above G5.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Apparently, the requirements are even higher now, as titles used to change at 5000 post increments. Now it appears to be higher between titles.

If that was the goal, to change things up for existing posters, that's cool.

But some are reaching those levels, and the titles stopped with G5. Adding a few titles to accommodate those reaching higher levels was the only thing missing.

Again, if the reason was to provide some incentive for users with lower post levels, that's fine. It would be helpful if all post titles and requirements were added to the list, rather than stopping at 12,000 posts. Otherwise, there will be a lot of threads started, asking for clarification of titles above G5.

Prior to the change we had this amount of users in each category:

Code:
macrumors 601: 140 users
macrumors 603:  42 users
macrumors 604:  27 users
macrumors G3:    6 users
macrumors G4:    4 users
macrumors G5:    4 users

With 14 users in the G3-G5 ranges, it's quite clear that adding more CPU's on top of that is impractical and unrealistic for the average MacRumors user to attain. That is why we adjusted the post count requirements for some of the lower ranks. There are still some new CPU's at a much higher requirement that only people like yourself that would ever attain.

It's up to Doctor Q if he wants to publish the new titles and requirements.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
If the goal is to make it easier for ranks, why not keep the original ranks but add more to the top end. Why blow up the whole system to make people feel like they accomplished something. It's been 12 years and nobody has had a problem with the system. Why now?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If the goal is to make it easier for ranks, why not keep the original ranks but add more to the top end. Why blow up the whole system to make people feel like they accomplished something. It's been 12 years and nobody has had a problem with the system. Why now?

Check out my post above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.