Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZolakJHS

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
So, for Christmas I got a 120 GB SSD that I put into my Mac Mini. To start off with, I decided to create my own Fusion Drive, which went smoothly. Everything booted up, etc. BUT, when I tried to access my Windows partition (which was untouched), everything went to hell. Computer booted to a black screen, and the only way to recover from that was a full restore from my time capsule.
At that point, I decided to get rid of the fusion drive and manage my data manually. Got everything restored (put OS X on the SSD, etc)... then went to install Boot camp (on my second internal drive) and windows again.
Everything seemed to be going fine, but during the partitioning phase when it reboots (i think to start the windows install), everything went black again, and again the only way to recover was to do a full recovery from my Time Capsule (Boot options weren't working).
Has anyone seen this before/know of a solution? For now I am just going without Boot Camp but I eventually would like to get that installed again.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Have you tried running Windows Startup Repair on your second drive? Are you starting Windows Setup in EFI mode (if so, don't)?

I have no experience with Fusion Drives so none of these solutions to let you keep the Fusion Drive. Also FYI when installing Boot Camp for the Mac Pro's Apple recommends you remove all drives except the one your installing Wndows to and to have that drive in Bay 1 (maybe the Mini is just as picky?).

Anyway here are the things I would try:
Note: Diskpart's CLEAN command erases the entire drive, be careful you don't erase the wrong drive.

Solution 1a:
  1. Format your second drive as GPT w/ 1 "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" partition
  2. Use Disk Utility (Not BC Assistant!) to add a FAT32 partition to your Second Drive (or just reformat the single partition as FAT32)
  3. Go through Windows Setup

Solution 1b:
  1. Format your second drive as GPT w/ 1 "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" partition
  2. Use Disk Utility (Not BC Assistant!) to add a FAT32 partition to your Second Drive (or just reformat the single partition as FAT32)
  3. Remove your first drive from the Mini
  4. Go through Windows Setup
  5. Replace your first drive

Solution 2a:
(After this, you won't be able to install OS X to your second drive without re-partitioning.)
  1. Restart into Windows Setup
  2. Repair your Computer > Repair Options
  3. Command Prompt
    • diskpart
    • list disk (Make note of your second drives #)
    • select disk # (Where # == your second drive)
    • clean
    • convert mbr
    • exit
  4. Now go through Windows Setup

Solution 2b:
(This one is a sure bet. After this, you won't be able to install OS X to your second drive without re-partitioning.)
  1. Remove your first drive from the Mini
  2. Restart into Windows Setup
  3. Repair your Computer > Repair Options
  4. Command Prompt
    • diskpart
    • list disk (Make note of your second drives #)
    • select disk # (Where # == your second drive)
    • clean
    • convert mbr
    • exit
  5. Now go through Windows Setup
  6. Reinsert your first drive

Last edited:

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Do you have a working Windows Setup disc or ThumbDrive? I really should have asked this before. Maybe your Windows setup media (disc/flash drive) is wrong/broken?

It's not necessary to use the Boot Camp assistant. Your manually creating the partition using Disk Utility. You can try it but I don't know if it will get confused with 2 drives installed.

If you need clarification on any of the steps, feel free to ask.

This is Windows Setup -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQGcjnnT2Dk
c1e1bbdf.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.