Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:43 PM   #126
chago04
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chago04 View Post
I have never used mine and today I am having issues with not receiving any notifications from my phone. What the heck is going on?

The last week or so has been really buggy on my phone in general.
Holy notifications, Batman. Just now they all started coming as I was using my phone. My phone was buzzing for a good 3 or 4 minutes. Is that what Do Not Disturb does-- just store up notifications? I verified that I have it turned off.
chago04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:47 PM   #127
notjustjay
macrumors 603

At the very least they could have said "we will release a software update on January 7" that addresses this problem.

Then release a software update with an uprev'd version number. Heck, they don't even need to change the code.

Then it would at least have the appearance of "hey, we fixed it".

When you go to the coffee shop and complain "hey, this coffee is way too hot!", which would you rather hear: "Oh, so sorry sir, we'll fix that for you right away" or "It's fine, just don't drink it for a few more minutes, it will cool off on its own"? Even if all they do to "fix" it is let it cool off on its own anyway, you at least want them to appear to take steps to address the issue.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:49 PM   #128
LastLine
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
At the very least they could have said "we will release a software update on January 7" that addresses this problem.

Then release a software update with an uprev'd version number. Heck, they don't even need to change the code.

Then it would at least have the appearance of "hey, we fixed it".

When you go to the coffee shop and complain "hey, this coffee is way too hot!", which would you rather hear: "Oh, so sorry sir, we'll fix that for you right away" or "It's fine, just don't drink it for a few more minutes, it will cool off on its own"? Even if all they do to "fix" it is let it cool off on its own anyway, you at least want them to appear to take steps to address the issue.
So you want Apple to release a 'fix' that does nothing, lie to their customers, and make you download and apply an update that does zero...

Right.

Now what they should point out is 'this issue will resolve itself on 7th Jan, and will be fixed in a future update so it doesn't happen again.

Fake patches help nobody.
LastLine is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:49 PM   #129
yg17
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
Google took a bit to resolve the issue. By the time Apple could push an update, the 7th will have passed so there is no reason to rush one.

True they should be testing this stuff. Traditionally Apple has been good about the New Year stuff compared to others like Microsoft. Remember that our computers didn't have to worry about Y2K and even early Macs were compliant.
I don't know why Microsoft is getting a bad rap here. I was a Windows user during Y2K and didn't have any problems. I was working IT desktop support in 2007 I believe was the year when the daylight savings was extended. We had to patch hundreds of Windows computers (thanks Congress! ) but didn't have any problems. My Windows laptop provided to me by my employer never has a problem with DST or New Years - it was shut down from December 20 all the way through this morning (damn vacation isn't long enough) and it survived the new year too without incident. Also survived the end of the Mayan calendar unfortunately, I was really hoping that would cause it to blow up because the new corporate laptops have SSDs and I want one
yg17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:50 PM   #130
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesnir View Post
As a programmer, I'd be interested to learn why it will resolve itself on January 7th. Is it because it's the first Monday of the year? That would line up with last year's bug fixing itself on January 2nd.
Yes, I'd really like to see the actual source code for this bug. I remember either Microsoft or Sony had a problem where their game consoles crashed due to a leap year bug; the source code causing the problem was published and my first reaction was "this looks dodgy, I wouldn't trust this" and it took five seconds to find the problem (the problem was calculating whether a year was a leap year twice within ten lines of code using different algorithms, and one algorithm was wrong. The problem that caused the crash was not getting leap years wrong, but getting two inconsisten results).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
Poor cry-baby might have missed a call. Anyone that needs to use this feature to screen calls likely doesn't get any that are of much importance anyway.
As a software developer, I can't see how a reasonable programmer would implement this functionality in a way that would depend on the actual date resulting in code that fails for seven days at the beginning of a new year. I most definitely cannot see how in a company with reasonable developer processes such functionality could enter into shipping code without failing a code review.

Last edited by gnasher729; Jan 2, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:52 PM   #131
NedBookPro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
Is it so hard people can't just do it manually, sure the issue shouldn't of happened but is it really that hard ?
Just wondering....

Is it acceptable that a $1000 piece of phone has such a fundamental problem?

It's not really about whether it's difficult to turn off or on manually. That is not the point. The point is this functionality should have been tested properly by apple programmers. People shouldn't have to put up with suddenly finding there's some sort of issue that should be working, or that used to work, then suddenly stops working because of an update. There are plenty of examples of this with iOS.

Personally, I don't even use DND, but I do feel for people who are inconvenienced by it, get missed calls because of it, etc.

Is iOS simply a polished turd? I am starting to wonder that myself.
Perhaps they need to rebuild it from the ground up.

-------------------------------------------------------
You can't talk sense to a fan-boy
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:57 PM   #132
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Ok that's the last straw...

I'm switching to android next January 1st and I'm not going back to Apple until the first Monday of that year!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:58 PM   #133
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedBookPro View Post
Just wondering....

This isn't a fundamental problem. A fundamental problem would be something akin of your phone unable to make calls for a week.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:58 PM   #134
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

I would not call it a fundamental problem. But, Apple did just release an ad touting the feature lol so I suppose it might be fundamental.

Quote:
Just wondering....

It's not really about whether it's difficult to turn off or on manually. That is not the point. The point is this functionality should have been tested properly by apple programmers. People shouldn't have to put up with suddenly finding there's some sort of issue that should be working, or that used to work, then suddenly stops working because of an update. There are plenty of examples of this with iOS.

Personally, I don't even use DND, but I do feel for people who are inconvenienced by it, get missed calls because of it, etc.

Is iOS simply a polished turd? I am starting to wonder that myself.
Perhaps they need to rebuild it from the ground up.

-------------------------------------------------------
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:01 PM   #135
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
...People keep saying this is a "minor problem", but it is indicative of sloppy programming. Any programmer would agree.
This programmer agrees with you. The problem is minor, easily fixed, and not much of an issue. But if you can't see why it's any issue at all, then you're not a programmer.

I've written software for a key process at work, and I'll admit it has bugs. We've created workarounds and frankly, the task doesn't even need to be automated to be perfectly honest. Still, as a programmer who takes pride in his work, I am a little bit embarrassed by the bugs in my code and do want to fix them. I'm not getting paid extra to do this and I have other things to do so I'll get around to fixing the bugs, but then again I'm not on the programming team of a multi-billion dollar company.

I'd rather Apple acknowledged this bug and promised an eventual fix than tell us that the bug is no big deal and just wait it out. "sloppy programming" is a perfect way to describe this. It's like the "no brown M&M's" clause in the concert rider used by Van Halen. Promoters that ignored the candies stipulation might also have ignored safety requirements in the construction of the stage.
mrgraff is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:02 PM   #136
NewAnger
Banned

I didn't have the problem yesterday but today, I just noticed that my phone still has DND activated at 2PM.
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:05 PM   #137
Merthyrboy
macrumors 6502

I just put my phones date and time forward a few days to the 10th January and the do not disturb worked schedule worked fine. Very odd bug.
Merthyrboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:06 PM   #138
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastLine View Post
So you want Apple to release a 'fix' that does nothing, lie to their customers, and make you download and apply an update that does zero...

Right.

Now what they should point out is 'this issue will resolve itself on 7th Jan, and will be fixed in a future update so it doesn't happen again.

Fake patches help nobody.
As described, it's kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. But in reality, there wouldn't be a "zero change" patch. There's always a set of software updates, fixes, patches, etc. that are not in the public release. So they could release an update, containing interim bug fixes, and they could describe it as "resolves a number of issues" (which they have done before) and all would be well. No dishonesty.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:08 PM   #139
apolloa
macrumors 601

I have to say I agree with many on here and find it laughable the only thing entirely made in house thing by Apple has a bug every year and we are told this year simply `not to use it`!!

If my device was a cheap Chinese knock off fair enough, but not on my 600 luxury top end smart phone it isn't!!!

This is a poor excuse from a company with too much wealth and they are no longer putting the customer first IMO.

How many more story's will we have in 2013 about some failure by Apple? Or will it still be endless litigation suit news stories?

Last edited by apolloa; Jan 2, 2013 at 07:59 PM.
apolloa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:08 PM   #140
Rodimus Prime
Banned

I bet the patch to fix this would take more time to compile than it would take to fix.

My guess is they are using Week of instead of day off. It is sloppy stupid bug and clearly a massive failure on QA for not testing bound condition's on this.
Where I work we found out about bug like this late one night and we jumped on it and got a quick patch out to fix the problem. It was a half back solution that was set up to be nothing more than to get us over the hump and then went back and worked on a propper fix the next week as we had a year to get that one done.
Rodimus Prime is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:10 PM   #141
Animalk
macrumors 6502

I bet this bug was quite convenient for lightening the load on the iMessage servers this new year
White iPhone 5 64GB
Animalk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:12 PM   #142
TheOriginalKi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatarshark View Post
I didn't have a problem at all. Instead I am getting a bonus feature now, now it says under Do Not Disturb "Schedule: 10:00 PM", before it didn't even tell me.
Same for me.
TheOriginalKi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:14 PM   #143
KonaMacMike
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to KonaMacMike
sounds like they are "Ignoring" the problem
KonaMacMike is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:16 PM   #144
Nale72
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesnir
As a programmer, I'd be interested to learn why it will resolve itself on January 7th. Is it because it's the first Monday of the year? That would line up with last year's bug fixing itself on January 2nd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJoe View Post
Seconded. Is there some kind of array issue, like an extra week of null scheduled events?
In the Swedish MacWorld they assume the problem is about weeks that cover two years (like 2012 and 2013). Like if it doesn't recognize it's 2013 yet. Since the 7th is the first day of a week that's in whole in 2013 it should work again.

I have always used this feature to have the phone quiet during nights (and yes, also before iOS6 since this is my first iPhone. Earlier I had an Android phone where I always used this function, but could then also have different settings for different days. I E have it quiet longer on weekend mornings).

I noticed the bug this morning when my boss stormed into my room wondering why I didn't answer his phone calls. When I checked my phone i had two missed calls from him. I got away with it since he was the one talking me into getting an iPhone instead of an Android phone and he understood the reason when I found an article about that it was a known iOS bug.

Even though it's a feature not everyone uses I still think they could have let us know about the bug and possible solution in a better way.

Thy could have apologized and said something like "We are sorry, but we can't get an update to fix this ready before the 7th, when the funcion automatically will be working again. We will however fix it in an upcoming update so that it won't happen again"

It wouldn't hurt to be a little humble instead of just saying "Yes, we know it doesn't work at all, but just turn it off and the problem is solved for now until it it starts to work on it's own."
Nale72 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:16 PM   #145
cgc
macrumors 6502a

Good to see Apple's developed code that "resolves itself." I guess it's finally self-aware (ala SkyNet). Who edits these articles?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:20 PM   #146
photographypro
macrumors regular

Do not disturb still works!!! (just not the scheduling)

I actually depend on this feature, as I live in Italy, with all my family and kids in the U.S.

But really, it does still work, you will just have to flip a switch at night when you go to bed, and then flip it again when you wake up, for only 5 days. If you use it during the day, you're probably not using the scheduling feature anyway.

Prior to IOS 6, I used to turn on Airplane mode, then turn Wi-Fi back on, so I could surf, check email and Facebook, etc. Then in the morning I would turn Airplane mode off.

This is easier, one switch, and in an emergency if a favorite calls me, or someone calls twice, it gets through.

I don't think it's worth the trouble for Apple to release an interim version of IOS for a 5 day fix for a temporary scheduling problem.

The feature, DO NOT DISTURB, still works!
photographypro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:26 PM   #147
stepshows
macrumors member

Bad Timing?

Perhaps Apple should have waited until Jan 8th to release a more simplified statement:

"This issue will be addressed in the next release."
stepshows is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:28 PM   #148
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

Apple to angry iPhone owners: Do Not Disturb us!
somethingelsefl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:30 PM   #149
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Holy jeeze....how about just put your phone on mute like you used to do?
MuddyPaws1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:31 PM   #150
baryon
macrumors 68030

Okay, as someone who kind of does programming from time to time (but I suck at it), I would SO love to know how the hell they managed to write their code so that this bug occurs. Just out of curiosity, because I simply can't imagine it!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion