Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
So I've specced an iMac how I'd like an ordered it to get in the queue:

- 27"
- 8Gb RAM (aftermarket to 32)
- 3.4 Ghz
- 680 video card
- 768Gb SSD

Now I'm in the UK so this comes out to ~$4,800. I did order it but it seems like a crazy amount of money...now I don't really know what else is out there and was just wondering if that is a stupid amount of money to spend on an iMac?

I've never used Macs before but I really like the look of them, they're beautiful. I have about $30,000 in savings and I'm currently on a gap year and I would use it for photo/video editing, game design, audio recording..I sort of figure given I have one year to develop all these skills may as well fork out on a good computer?

But yeah not knowing whether there are any other INCREDIBLE options for that price whose performance would outweight the design aesthetic just thought I'd ask around for advice? Is the iMac worth spending a lot of money on?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
If you're just developing your skills, you could settle for a much cheaper mac.

That's an awfully large chunk of money to spend out of your savings, and it sounds like you won't be earning a salary during this gap year?

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
If you're just developing your skills, you could settle for a much cheaper mac.

That's an awfully large chunk of money to spend out of your savings, and it sounds like you won't be earning a salary during this gap year?

I'm earning about $1500 a month doing math tutoring but you're right its still an awful lot.

Do you have any recommendations for someone in my position? Would you maybe just cut out some of the addons or just not go iMac?

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm earning about $1500 a month doing math tutoring but you're right its still an awful lot.

Do you have any recommendations for someone in my position? Would you maybe just cut out some of the addons or just not go iMac?

you could have bought an aftermarket SSD and saved a $1000

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
For the needs you described, you could go with a 2.9GHz 27" with a 1TB fusion drive for £1,699.01, about half the cost. You probably wouldn't notice any significant difference in performance, given your intended use.

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Why do you need such a large ssd?

I don't really but I love SSD speeds and I'm not sure I want a computer deciding what will be fast and what will be slow aka Fusion...though most users here seem to have had a good experience of Fusion drives so maybe I should switch that option out...

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
The $1300 SSD is the main problem. ~90% of use cases would get approximately the same performance from the $250 1TB Fusion.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

I don't know if you also have rent/other bills to pay, but I'd focus on building up savings even if you don't.

The machine GGJstudios recommends will more than meet your needs.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Go with the Fusion and save yourself big bucks. If you want more SSD space, you can always add an external SSD later.

I've been working the crap out of my Fusion drive and still haven't had any apparent slowdowns.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
Skip the SSD. Go 1TB or 3TB Fusion and invest in a thunderbolt external backup drive. Your going to need a backup solution to save all your work. Something like a Western Digital 4TB or 6TB Thunderbolt myBook or a G-Technology equivalent.

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
For your purposes, you'd be wasting money. Frankly, buying a pumped up 27" is unnecessary for you. That SSD is far too expensive.

Thanks for your advice (and everyone elses)!

So you'd say cut out the SSD and go with the base 27" with Fusion...thanks for the help :)

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Heck my 2006 Imac would do what you need. (min small screen size)...why are you wasting your money? I'm assuming your relatively young? You should take savings and invest in smart div stocks ect (for the long term) not waste it on $$$ computers that you don't need. (in 30 years you will remember this and thank me!)

Listen to GGJ and buy that model!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Haha! So would you say that the GGJ model is worth it or would you go for something even less expensive? Say a Windows PC or a Mac Mini?
I only offered that as a less-expensive alternative that would still get you the 27" display, assuming you insisted on the iMac. You could also easily accommodate your needs with a Mac mini or a refurb iMac.

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I only offered that as a less-expensive alternative that would still get you the 27" display, assuming you insisted on the iMac. You could also easily accommodate your needs with a Mac mini or a refurb iMac.

Oh I see. Thanks for your suggestion I'm leaning towards going with something like that. Only question is do you not think the higher processor and graphics card are worth the cost? I gather the SSD is not worth it but what about the other items?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Oh I see. Thanks for your suggestion I'm leaning towards going with something like that. Only question is do you not think the higher processor and graphics card are worth the cost? I gather the SSD is not worth it but what about the other items?
Most average users never come close to pushing the CPU or GPU to their limits. Most users notice increases in RAM and drive speed more than increases in CPU/GPU performance. Some obvious exceptions are gamers and others pushing the envelope with high-resource-demand apps. What you described as your intended use could easily be handled by any Mac model in the last few years.

noahc

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
I think for what you are looking to do, the base 2.9 with a 1TB Fusion drive should do the trick. I recently bought the same and it has been doing great -- no complaints on performance.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
How to burn through savings quickly

High performance systems are, from my experience, *never* necessary for instructional purposes. They need to be financially justified -- if the faster system allows you to accomplish more in a given time and if you are being paid per project, then go for it. But that doesn't seem to be the case here at all.

A used, older iMac would be just fine. Put the saving back in the bank until you really need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.