Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Fed
macrumors 6502

Options for playing video content on TV

The other month, I bought an Apple TV. It wasn't long before it was then sold on because I couldn't be bothered with all of the video conversions. I've been thinking of buying a Playstation 3 however the last time I had one, I kept getting copyright messages and it would bail from the video. From what I understand, this still occurs on current PS3s when playing external video files (from USB or media server). Does this kind of thing happen on an XBox?

I'm thinking of just buying a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for my MBP (or doing the same with my HP NAS) and plugging it directly into the TV. However this will be cumbersome.

Can anyone offer some options for either streaming data directly from a HP NAS or via an external hard drive? Prior to the Apple TV nonsense I used a Raspberry Pi and if it wasn't for aesthetic reasons, I'd probably still use it for that purpose.

Thanks for any help or opinions.
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:45 PM   #2
d21mike
macrumors 68020

WDTVLive has a number of options and inexpensive.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Fed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by d21mike View Post
WDTVLive has a number of options and inexpensive.
Thanks for the recommendation. Just been checking out the reviews and they seem somewhat mixed. From the description alone, it looks the best option actually. Nice and cheap too
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:24 PM   #4
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. Just been checking out the reviews and they seem somewhat mixed. From the description alone, it looks the best option actually. Nice and cheap too
I bought two for when we go RV'ing and I haven't met a video file that the WDTV wouldn't play. MKV, avi, mpeg, etc, etc (this was the first WDTV Live pre-wifi)

I've since been doing the whole convert everything to M4V so everything plays nicely within my little Apple ecosystem. Said I never would but it was just easier in the long run. ( 6TB of media files almost done, converting as we speak)
3x AEBS 802.11ac, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:30 PM   #5
JGRE
macrumors 6502

I use Beamer to stream videos om my MBP to my ATV (no iTunes no conversions, no jailbreaks). The software is not perfect yet as it has problems with some large MKV's and does only stereo currently.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:33 PM   #6
chrisperro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRE View Post
I use Beamer to stream videos om my MBP to my ATV (no iTunes no conversions, no jailbreaks). The software is not perfect yet as it has problems with some large MKV's and does only stereo currently.
+1 Beamer
chrisperro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater