Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
The other month, I bought an Apple TV. It wasn't long before it was then sold on because I couldn't be bothered with all of the video conversions. I've been thinking of buying a Playstation 3 however the last time I had one, I kept getting copyright messages and it would bail from the video. From what I understand, this still occurs on current PS3s when playing external video files (from USB or media server). Does this kind of thing happen on an XBox?

I'm thinking of just buying a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for my MBP (or doing the same with my HP NAS) and plugging it directly into the TV. However this will be cumbersome.

Can anyone offer some options for either streaming data directly from a HP NAS or via an external hard drive? Prior to the Apple TV nonsense I used a Raspberry Pi and if it wasn't for aesthetic reasons, I'd probably still use it for that purpose.

Thanks for any help or opinions.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
WDTVLive has a number of options and inexpensive.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just been checking out the reviews and they seem somewhat mixed. From the description alone, it looks the best option actually. Nice and cheap too :D

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Thanks for the recommendation. Just been checking out the reviews and they seem somewhat mixed. From the description alone, it looks the best option actually. Nice and cheap too :D

I bought two for when we go RV'ing and I haven't met a video file that the WDTV wouldn't play. MKV, avi, mpeg, etc, etc (this was the first WDTV Live pre-wifi)

I've since been doing the whole convert everything to M4V so everything plays nicely within my little Apple ecosystem. Said I never would but it was just easier in the long run. ( 6TB of media files almost done, converting as we speak)

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
I use Beamer to stream videos om my MBP to my ATV (no iTunes no conversions, no jailbreaks). The software is not perfect yet as it has problems with some large MKV's and does only stereo currently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.