Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Spute
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California
Itunes reverts back to old folder location

I moved my itunes folder from my hard drive to an external drive. But every time I turn my Imac on the file path shows that it is reading from my MAC HD user/*name*/music folder again. What'S the deal with that???
Spute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:37 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spute View Post
I moved my itunes folder from my hard drive to an external drive. But every time I turn my Imac on the file path shows that it is reading from my MAC HD user/*name*/music folder again. What'S the deal with that???
Did you change the location to the external drive in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:04 PM   #3
phrehdd
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spute View Post
I moved my itunes folder from my hard drive to an external drive. But every time I turn my Imac on the file path shows that it is reading from my MAC HD user/*name*/music folder again. What'S the deal with that???
Before opening iTunes, make sure your external drive is recognized by your computer. If iTunes cannot immediately handshake with your external drive, it can default back to the local drive.

I have my media on my NAS. I had a similar situation long ago. I ended up setting up my system to recognize the NAS locally upon boot up. Problem solved. Before that, I would wait for the NAS to show up then click on the icon to "wake it up" and that also solved the problem back when.

One other thing - When I moved my media to my NAS I had a couple of options to consider to finish the process - either "add to library" the NAS media directories and in iTunes, delete references to the local drive listings or do an add to library AFTER I removed within iTunes the iTunes db files etc. (starting empty so to speak). I find that starting fresh, though it takes time to populate was the best bet as there was no chance for duplicate listings in iTunes. In short, I moved the files to NAS. Set up iTunes pref to not move files added, then deleted (or you can rename) the contents of iTunes to force it to generate new db files etc, then added the external media files to iTunes.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Spute
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Did you change the location to the external drive in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced?
Yes. A few times now.
Spute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:21 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spute View Post
Yes. A few times now.
As phrehdd indicated, if your external drive isn't mounted at the time you launch iTunes, it can't find your media folder, so it creates one on your local drive and changes your preferences to point to the media folder that it can find.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Spute
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
Before opening iTunes, make sure your external drive is recognized by your computer. If iTunes cannot immediately handshake with your external drive, it can default back to the local drive.

I have my media on my NAS. I had a similar situation long ago. I ended up setting up my system to recognize the NAS locally upon boot up. Problem solved. Before that, I would wait for the NAS to show up then click on the icon to "wake it up" and that also solved the problem back when.

One other thing - When I moved my media to my NAS I had a couple of options to consider to finish the process - either "add to library" the NAS media directories and in iTunes, delete references to the local drive listings or do an add to library AFTER I removed within iTunes the iTunes db files etc. (starting empty so to speak). I find that starting fresh, though it takes time to populate was the best bet as there was no chance for duplicate listings in iTunes. In short, I moved the files to NAS. Set up iTunes pref to not move files added, then deleted (or you can rename) the contents of iTunes to force it to generate new db files etc, then added the external media files to iTunes.
As best I can tell, it is recognized. It is always showing under "SHARED" in finder view. This particular drive is connected to my Aiport Extreme if you think that might have something to do with this...
Spute is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC