Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Dani287
macrumors newbie

how to transfer videos from SONY handycam to Mac Book

Hello
I have a Mac Book Pro with iOS 10.7.5 and a Sony Videocamera HDR XR550. I'd like to transfer all the videos from the camera to my MacBook. I prefer to do it with Thunderbolt. I do not wish to depend on iVideo. I'd like to have the videos as video files on the computer, e.g. some place in a folder in the finder.

I have several problems until now to do so. Is there someone who can give me an instruction or who can tell me where I can get such instruction?

Many thanks.
Dani287 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:02 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani287 View Post
Hello
I have a Mac Book Pro with iOS 10.7.5
Just a small correction, it is called OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, iOS is the operating system (OS) for iPhones and iPads and Apple TV and iPod touch.

Quote:
and a Sony Videocamera HDR XR550. I'd like to transfer all the videos from the camera to my MacBook. I prefer to do it with Thunderbolt.
I'd like to have the videos as video files on the computer, e.g. some place in a folder in the finder.
Your camera has a USB port, which you can use to import footage into iMovie.
Or you can just copy the contents of the SD card (either in an SD card reader or in the camera) to a folder on any HDD of your choice, but make sure to copy the complete card.
For instance, if you shot a mugging or so, you copy the entire card to a folder called "date (your preference if ddmmyy or mmddyy or whatever) mugging location", thus it is easier to import into iMovie or another video editing application.

Quote:
I do not wish to depend on iVideo.
iVideo? Do you mean Firewire 800?
Quote:
I have several problems until now to do so. Is there someone who can give me an instruction or who can tell me where I can get such instruction?

Many thanks.
What exact problems?
"How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Does the camcorder show on the Desktop as a hard disc? If so, just drag and drop into Finder.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help