Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I don't know if this is possible, but maybe Apple can help the carriers make Internet downloading faster by making changes on its end.

I'm sort of picturing something like this, although it probably won't come to reality: You're out in the middle of nowhere, and you're on AT&T's EDGE network. No problem, the iPhone 6 makes EDGE look like 3G.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Not possible. Apple can't make its phones access data faster than it is coming to the phone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think rim had something like that on their servers end.
It kinda compressed the data and made the device use less bandwidth on a average compared to other phones.
End result lower quality pictures,audio, pixelated video, reduced size and images websites etc...

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Since LTE is already so godlike fast, u need something faster than 50-70mbps?

Not like it will make a difference in web browsing speeds..

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I believe that's called Satellite service.

Try asking Siri for directions, or for anything for that matter, while driving in an EDGE area.

On that note, every time I take my phone camping, I always seem to be able to get cell service, sometimes (if not always) even HSDPA+.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
We need Apple to buy a national carrier and place 6G on it :rolleyes:

But seriously, we need all carriers who hold the iPhone to launch LTE Advanced, NOW :apple:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I think rim had something like that on their servers end.

It was called "very high, very lossy compression."

And that was perfectly fine in the days when phone web browsers weren't expected to fully render web pages, it was okay for smartphones not render emails formatted in rich text, and non-retina displays were the norm. But it won't cut the mustard now.

It also turned the phone into a brick every time RIM's servers went offline. Imagine what would happen if an iCloud outage meant you couldn't access ANY web pages, e-mails, maps, or any app that required internet access? I mean, people already use Steve's name in vain, and predict Apple's demise and threaten to go Android whenever iMessage goes on the fritz.

The only thing Apple can do to "make it faster" is to lean on the carriers to roll out blanket LTE coverage across their networks ASAP. But it's not their call. It's up to the carriers to do that.

And in any case, as long as there's a usage cap on data plans, faster data speeds aren't going to be as useful as you think. I get close to my monthly cap a lot quicker now that I have LTE.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I don't know if this is possible
It's not. If the carriers could magically improve their networks without massive capital investments don't you think they'd do so? They're in it for the profit and not having to upgrade and charging more for the same infrastructure would mean a bigger gain.

No problem, the iPhone 6 makes EDGE look like 3G.
at&t already did that with HSPA+. Look, it's 4G! :D

While we're at it, have the iPhone 6 make me a cup of coffee as well...

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
What you're talking about isn't physically possible, it's like saying you get poor reception in an area so a carrier should "just make it work" when you're out of range of a tower.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It was called "very high, very lossy compression."

And that was perfectly fine in the days when phone web browsers weren't expected to fully render web pages, it was okay for smartphones not render emails formatted in rich text, and non-retina displays were the norm. But it won't cut the mustard now.

It also turned the phone into a brick every time RIM's servers went offline. Imagine what would happen if an iCloud outage meant you couldn't access ANY web pages, e-mails, maps, or any app that required internet access? I mean, people already use Steve's name in vain, and predict Apple's demise and threaten to go Android whenever iMessage goes on the fritz.

The only thing Apple can do to "make it faster" is to lean on the carriers to roll out blanket LTE coverage across their networks ASAP. But it's not their call. It's up to the carriers to do that.

And in any case, as long as there's a usage cap on data plans, faster data speeds aren't going to be as useful as you think. I get close to my monthly cap a lot quicker now that I have LTE.

I hear you.
Good thing that dinosaur tech and RIM are slowly dying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.