Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Che Castro
macrumors 601

If the iPad mini 2 is just a spec bump and no Retina ..

How many here will upgrade ?

Like better camera , A6 , NFC , stuff like that

Current ipad mini users will you upgrade ?

Oh and same design & weight
Che Castro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Batavian
macrumors 6502

Not I. It's plenty good enough with current specs. Except for one thing. Three syllables. Rhymes with Etina.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:42 PM   #3
itjw
macrumors 6502a

Met ya?

I just had a thought...: the next mini should have a Retina screen.

Thoughts?
itjw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:53 PM   #4
irDigital0l

Would keep my iPad 1.

Maybe get an Android phone if iOS 7 is a disaster like iOS 6.

Last edited by irDigital0l; Jan 2, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
irDigital0l is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:00 PM   #5
jimmyohio75
macrumors newbie

That would be the single stupidest move that Apple could make.......The entire universe is screaming for a retina equipped Mini, to not satisfy this requirement with the next release would blow my mind!
jimmyohio75 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:02 PM   #6
xMClass
macrumors 6502

Speed boost would be nice but not necessary. Won't be upgrading my mini until a retina version is released. Which I highly doubt is coming this year.
xMClass is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:11 PM   #7
jahoys
macrumors regular

^this. retina version won't be coming till the 3rd gen, IMO. i'll upgrade then.
jahoys is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:41 PM   #8
MacAgnostic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Better camera(s), no.

The A5 is good enough for now, but A6 might be necessary if the 5th gen iPad retina gets a speed bump.

NFC is a phone thing right? Apple doesn't seem interested in it (yet), I'm not either.

Without a retina display, I find it hard to imagine any compelling spec bump.
MacAgnostic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:48 PM   #9
danpass
macrumors 68020

I'm ok with retina as long as the current battery life, heat, and physical size remain the same.

But if not I'd prefer a spec bump; faster processor and 1gb ram. I see it now in imovie, iPhoto and Foreflight (aviation app) among others which are spec intensive.
danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:57 PM   #10
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

Happy with the mini as it is, the screen already looks great. Spec isn't too important, I use my MacBook for processor or ram intensive things.
My iPad is for Internet, Facebook, hungry shark and the odd movie on the train or plane.
LeeM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:05 PM   #11
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

I'd like an A6. More RAM never hurt anyone and it would really help with web browsing.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:12 PM   #12
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyohio75 View Post
That would be the single stupidest move that Apple could make.......The entire universe is screaming for a retina equipped Mini, to not satisfy this requirement with the next release would blow my mind!
The entire world was screaming for a larger display on an iPhone / an iPhone 5 but we got a 4S instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
How many here will upgrade ?

Current ipad mini users will you upgrade ?

If the next mini was only a spec bump, I probably wouldn't get it. The A5 chip is fine right now, I would rarely use NFC, and the 5 megapixel camera is fine (especially since I have my phone). It would have to have retina to upgrade.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:15 PM   #13
HenryEricson
macrumors newbie

Honestly, and I might be going against the grain by saying this, but I'm fine with the current resolution. It works well for what I use it for, which is reading books and watching Youtube videos.

However, if a Retina model comes out, that'd be great. I wouldn't see myself buying one, though, because the current Mini is fine for me.
HenryEricson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:25 PM   #14
JS82712
Banned

I highly doubt apple can put a retina display into the ipad mini. Putting one in the big ipad already reduced its performance and significantly increased the battery requirement (8 hours to charge? lol), and to do this in a even smaller form factor would be...mind-blowing if they can pull it off.

people keep throwing the word 'retina display' around without knowing how much power it would take to support such a resolution.
JS82712 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:39 PM   #15
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
I highly doubt apple can put a retina display into the ipad mini. Putting one in the big ipad already reduced its performance and significantly increased the battery requirement (8 hours to charge? lol), and to do this in a even smaller form factor would be...mind-blowing if they can pull it off.

people keep throwing the word 'retina display' around without knowing how much power it would take to support such a resolution.
The retina display would draw more power than the current display, requiring a larger battery resulting in possibly more weight and thickness. This is why I believe there won't be a retina display until the 3rd-gen because Apple won't be able to balance everything (power consumption, battery life, performance) so quickly and as easily.

Last edited by batting1000; Jan 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
batting1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:43 PM   #16
aleni
macrumors 68000

A retina display in a mini this year is probably not this year. The battery and tech is limited with its small and thin case.

I prefer the A6x and 1gb of ram because i have seen some intensive apps and games often quit because the lack of power.

Yes ios terminates all other apps when the app you currently run is needing more ram. But it doesnt mean it works smooth when ios is terminating other apps. The progress your current running app often lost caused by the app quits suddenly.
aleni is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:46 PM   #17
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleni View Post
A retina display in a mini this year is probably not this year. The battery and tech is limited with its small and thin case.

I prefer the A6x and 1gb of ram because i have seen some intensive apps and games often quit because the lack of power.

Yes ios terminates all other apps when the app you currently run is needing more ram. But it doesnt mean it works smooth when ios is terminating other apps. The progress your current running app often lost caused by the app quits suddenly.
I don't think we'll see the A6X or any X processor in the mini till there's a Retina display. The whole point of the X processor is to power the extra pixels on the larger Retina display.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:04 PM   #18
DMH3006
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1000 View Post
...which is why Apple gave the iPad the A6X chip. A 7.9 inch Retina display would not require as much power as a 9.7 inch Retina display. To be fair, though, it would still draw more power than the current display, requiring a larger battery resulting in possibly more weight and thickness. This is why I believe there won't be a retina display until the 3rd-gen because Apple won't be able to balance everything (power consumption, battery life, performance) so quickly and as easily.
That makes no sense,the resolution would still be the same,its not the size of the display its the resolution,a 7.9 inch ipad retina display would need the same gpu power as a 9.7 inch one.
DMH3006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:08 PM   #19
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH3006 View Post
That makes no sense,the resolution would still be the same,its not the size of the display its the resolution,a 7.9 inch ipad retina display would need the same gpu power as a 9.7 inch one.
I take that back then. I forgot whether it's the display size or resolution that matters.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:55 PM   #20
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1000 View Post
...which is why Apple gave the iPad the A6X chip. A 7.9 inch Retina display would not require as much power as a 9.7 inch Retina display. To be fair, though, it would still draw more power than the current display, requiring a larger battery resulting in possibly more weight and thickness. This is why I believe there won't be a retina display until the 3rd-gen because Apple won't be able to balance everything (power consumption, battery life, performance) so quickly and as easily.
Stopped reading at your second sentence because you obviously don't know what you are talking about
JS82712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:04 PM   #21
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by che castro View Post
how many here will upgrade ?

Like better camera , a6 , nfc , stuff like that

current ipad mini users will you upgrade ?

nobody gives a ***** about nfc!!!!!!!!! For the last time people!!!!!! Nobody really cares........sry but god dang!
aPple nErd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:05 PM   #22
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
Stopped reading at your second sentence because you obviously don't know what you are talking about
I just said I took that back. You can continue reading now.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:11 PM   #23
TonyTurboII
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
nobody gives a ***** about nfc!!!!!!!!! For the last time people!!!!!! Nobody really cares........sry but god dang!
Maybe you dont care about NFC, but plenty of people do I can assure you.

I use it pretty frequently on my phone.

Not sure where it would fit in on a tablet though...
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
TonyTurboII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:38 AM   #24
Investor27
macrumors member

You're not the only one. What is this obsession with a Retina Ipad mini? I don't quite understand it at all. The current resolution of the mini is perfectly fine. A Retina display will serverely reduce battery time and will add more weight to the mini. That's a deal breaker for me. Makes me wonder if these guys even have a mini sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryEricson View Post
Honestly, and I might be going against the grain by saying this, but I'm fine with the current resolution. It works well for what I use it for, which is reading books and watching Youtube videos.

However, if a Retina model comes out, that'd be great. I wouldn't see myself buying one, though, because the current Mini is fine for me.
Investor27 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:49 AM   #25
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investor27 View Post
You're not the only one. What is this obsession with a Retina Ipad mini? I don't quite understand it at all. The current resolution of the mini is perfectly fine. A Retina display will serverely reduce battery time and will add more weight to the mini. That's a deal breaker for me. Makes me wonder if these guys even have a mini sometimes.
You are missing the point. The iPad mini has a lower ppi than its cheaper competitor, the nexus 7, and that is a problem.

The reason that people are asking for a 2048x1536 resolution is because apple really has no other choice but to make it that way, or else every existing ipad app would need to be reworked.

For people like me that have used the retina iPad, I have been reading lengthy scientific journals..etc, it just feels a lot more comfortable than reading on a pixelated display. I was one of the first people to check out the iPad mini and I was impressed by its form factor, but the pixelated screen simply stopped me from buying it.

As a gaming and casual portable device it's nice, but for extensive reading, i'd still choose the retina ipad.
JS82712 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad