Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
Yesterday, I downloaded a new album on iTunes. When I tried to use SoundHound to view the lyrics, it wasn't working for some of the songs. I checked the files on my Mac and to my big surprise, the extensions of those songs are .M4P.

The DRM aren't back, but having M4P files is seriously annoying because of compatibility issues.

Anyone else? Is it a problem with iTunes 11? I contacted customer support and I'm suppose to have an answer in the next 2 days.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
m4p and m4a are the same exactly format, the only that had drm was the audio track, not the mp4 file itself. Did you try to rename it to .m4a?

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
I'm not sure I understand you. MP4 and M4P are not the same thing. Still I can rename the file or convert it, but I wonder why Apple doesn't do this on their end. If I download the file directly on my iOS device, I can't change rename it and no app will recognize the file.

I don't buy very often on iTunes, but when I do, it's because of convenience. This is not very convenient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.