Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:58 PM   #1
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Recommended monitor for Mac mini?

No way in hell am I going to purchase the thunderbolt display, which is more expensive than the base model mini, which I'm getting (i5). So which monitor do you guys recommend?


Also, any recommendations on additional ram? I don't think think paying $100 for a 4 gb upgrade is worth it. And mouse/keyboard setup? Not a huge fan of the wireless Apple mouse and keyboard, which are $69.99 each. Any suggestions for those? I feel like I can probably get a better mouse/keyboard for cheaper.

This is my first Mac, so go easy on me.

Thanks!
TheGreenBastard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:12 PM   #2
costabunny
macrumors 68020
 
costabunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ~/
Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
The Asus PB278Q seems to have very good reviews.

Personally I use a ProLite 27" 1080P model and its fine for my needs (will add a second one one day)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-PB278Q-...=IT4ZJSVU0FC1E

RAM wise goto Crucial (I got my 16GB kit for £55 including postage). I think OWC is also popular across the pond.

as for keyboard/mouse well any mouse will work, and there are a bunch of non-apple mac compatibles around. Logitech do some nice ones.
__________________
Bunny has an iPhone 5C, a PC, and a MacBook Pro retina

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:21 PM   #3
TheGreenBastard
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by costabunny View Post
The Asus PB278Q seems to have very good reviews.

Personally I use a ProLite 27" 1080P model and its fine for my needs (will add a second one one day)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-PB278Q-...=IT4ZJSVU0FC1E

RAM wise goto Crucial (I got my 16GB kit for £55 including postage). I think OWC is also popular across the pond.

as for keyboard/mouse well any mouse will work, and there are a bunch of non-apple mac compatibles around. Logitech do some nice ones.
Hey, thanks.

That monitor is a little out of my price range. I only have about $1100 to work with, and I want to have a little bit left over. I'm a student, so I'm a little tight on cash.

As for that ram, I couldn't find the same (or even similar) priced ram on the Canadian amazon.
TheGreenBastard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:28 PM   #4
SAIRUS
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
2 birds...
Get a hdtv and use that.
__________________
You're ugly...
...only if you think you are.
15" Retina Macbook Pro, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S, iPa-okay okay I have a ton of Apple stuff and 200 characters is not enough.
SAIRUS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:31 PM   #5
COrocket
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-I...ords=dell+2713

This could work. High quality and comparable to the apple display for $350 less. Or u can pick up a 27" 1080p monitor for around $300. I've had good luck with Samsung models. Depends on your budget.
__________________
2012 Mac Mini - i7 Quad Core 2.3 GHz - 16GB RAM - 128 GB SSD - (2) Dell S2340M
COrocket is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:33 PM   #6
SAIRUS
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Reasons I recommend a 32" led hdtv? Well as a college kid, you're gonna be cheap. That said you wanna be THAT guy.

You're the guy with the 32" tv, that is connected to the internet and can watch literally whatever he wants.
__________________
You're ugly...
...only if you think you are.
15" Retina Macbook Pro, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S, iPa-okay okay I have a ton of Apple stuff and 200 characters is not enough.
SAIRUS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:37 PM   #7
TheGreenBastard
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by COrocket View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-I...ords=dell+2713

This could work. High quality and comparable to the apple display for $350 less. Or u can pick up a 27" 1080p monitor for around $300. I've had good luck with Samsung models. Depends on your budget.
Read my post above.

Also, CO, what's it like to add in an ssd? Did it come stock, and are there two HDD bays?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIRUS View Post
Reasons I recommend a 32" led hdtv? Well as a college kid, you're gonna be cheap. That said you wanna be THAT guy.

You're the guy with the 32" tv, that is connected to the internet and can watch literally whatever he wants.
Right now I'm staying with my parents, and have a 42" HDTV, but it's not really ideal for a computer (atleast for me)

I'm going to be rooming with some friends next summer, so a tv could be good then, but for now, I just want some good, cheap, and nice.

However, if I could get a smokin deal for a monitor, Mac mini, third party ram upgrades, and a mouse/keyboard and still not exceed my limit of $1100, then I might consider it. Also I want this all by tomorrow. I start university in exactly one week and want everything set up to my preferences. I know, I'm inpatient.
TheGreenBastard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:50 PM   #8
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraShar...ds=dell+u2312m

This doesn't seem like a bad option for a budget display. With ram you can go for 8 or 16GB cheap from Crucial. Remember to test the sodimms just in case you receive a bad stick. If you happen to swap out the drive, remember that Apple doesn't consider that user serviceable in case you ever need to send it in for warranty service.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:58 PM   #9
COrocket
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I put in the SSD myself. It is cheaper that way. I removed the original hard drive and the SSD is what i boot from. I found it pretty straightforward. If you are looking at doing it, this is a really good guide I used that outline the steps

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installi...cement/11716/1

There are two HDD bays. If you want to add a second, you need to purchase a cable. There is space under the original spot and requires more disassembly for installation
__________________
2012 Mac Mini - i7 Quad Core 2.3 GHz - 16GB RAM - 128 GB SSD - (2) Dell S2340M
COrocket is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:59 PM   #10
TheGreenBastard
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
[QUOTE=COrocket;16594648]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
Read my post above.

Also, CO, what's it like to add in an ssd? Did it come stock, and are there two HDD bays?[COLOR="#808080"]

I put in the SSD myself. It is cheaper that way. I removed the original hard drive and the SSD is what i boot from. I found it pretty straightforward. If you are looking at doing it, this is a really good guide I used that outline the steps

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installi...cement/11716/1

There are two HDD bays. If you want to add a second, you need to purchase a cable. There is space under the original spot and requires more disassembly for installation
Thank you very much for the guide.
TheGreenBastard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:58 PM   #11
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraShar...ds=dell+u2312m

This doesn't seem like a bad option for a budget display. With ram you can go for 8 or 16GB cheap from Crucial. Remember to test the sodimms just in case you receive a bad stick. If you happen to swap out the drive, remember that Apple doesn't consider that user serviceable in case you ever need to send it in for warranty service.
I have the U2412 and love it. Great bang for the buck and it has a native Display Port connection. Also, 16x10 is better than 16:9 unless all you do is watch movies.
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:04 PM   #12
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmscott View Post
I have the U2412 and love it. Great bang for the buck and it has a native Display Port connection. Also, 16x10 is better than 16:9 unless all you do is watch movies.
I was looking up reviews on them. They sound better than anything else I could find in that price range. There are displays I really like once you get to $500+, but that would exceed the OP's budget. I don't know if the hdmi issue is still present on the HD4000, but as you point out native displayport means you don't have to worry about that. 16:9 is used specifically to cut costs. That's also why you'll see a lot of 1080 displays. They can share panel designs with televisions.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:28 PM   #13
Raynarayan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I would like to suggest to go with TN or "twisted nematic
Raynarayan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:38 PM   #14
gamingdiva
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynarayan View Post
I would like to suggest to go with TN or "twisted nematic
A TN panel is nice... unless you need color accuracy. That being said if you don't, then something like the VS247H-P is cheap and good for under $150. Here's a good article that has some good Mac Compatible monitor choices:

http://brandonhart100.hubpages.com/hub/top-mac-monitor

It looks like there are some pretty cheap IPS options available as well...
gamingdiva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Dowjohnny
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Germany
DELL U2412M, best monitor i ever owned
__________________
Mid 2011 Macbook Air 13" 128GB; Ipod shuffle black; Apple TV 3. Gen.;
Dowjohnny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:34 PM   #16
MaxinMusicCity
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Nashville
Re Monitor for MacMini

I bought a Samsung S20B380H through BestBuy and have found it to have a beautiful display on my 2012 MacMini. The cheaper S20B350H is being used on my late 2009 Mini with equally good results. These are both 20" models but larger sizes can be found. The Prices were less than $180 each shipped.

MaxinMusicCity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:33 PM   #17
SeattleMoose
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Der Wald
Can't go wrong with this...

http://www.amazon.com/LG-E2742V-27-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B007SIC6AO/ref=cm_aya_orig_subj

I have a 2012 Mac Mini and this monitor is superb. I have both my MBP (DVI) and Mac Mini (HDMI) hooked up to this monitor with no adapters. Use button on monitor to switch between computers.
SeattleMoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:20 PM   #18
KylePowers
macrumors 68000
 
KylePowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Don't get a TV, but get a monitor with a TV tuner. They'll typically have better refresh rates and color gamuts (since they're made with computing in mind first, rather than second). I had a 24in Samsung monitor a few years ago that was 1920x1200, and it was awesome. Had built-in speakers and a TV tuner as well, so it was great.
KylePowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:47 PM   #19
designs216
macrumors 65816
 
designs216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
No way in hell am I going to purchase the thunderbolt display, which is more expensive than the base model mini, which I'm getting (i5). So which monitor do you guys recommend?


Also, any recommendations on additional ram? I don't think think paying $100 for a 4 gb upgrade is worth it. And mouse/keyboard setup? Not a huge fan of the wireless Apple mouse and keyboard, which are $69.99 each. Any suggestions for those? I feel like I can probably get a better mouse/keyboard for cheaper.

This is my first Mac, so go easy on me.

Thanks!
Well the Dell U2410 won't win any points with monitor snobs but I think it's a decent display with lots connections and 3 year warranty. Crucial is a good place to get RAM and even has a handy configuration tool right on their home page. OWC is another good vendor for RAM. I like the Apple extended keyboard but you could go to Best Buy and try the non-Mac offerings as they will work with your Mini. Like you, I'm not crazy about the Mac mouse -- I switch back and forth between it and the MS Wireless Mouse 5000.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:06 PM   #20
Weerez935
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
No way in hell am I going to purchase the thunderbolt display, which is more expensive than the base model mini, which I'm getting (i5). So which monitor do you guys recommend?


Also, any recommendations on additional ram? I don't think think paying $100 for a 4 gb upgrade is worth it. And mouse/keyboard setup? Not a huge fan of the wireless Apple mouse and keyboard, which are $69.99 each. Any suggestions for those? I feel like I can probably get a better mouse/keyboard for cheaper.

This is my first Mac, so go easy on me.

Thanks!
This is what I'm going to get:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=140913504191
Weerez935 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 03:00 AM   #21
hughjackman
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
It looks pretty cool and i was searching for this info and the monitor for mac mini was great.
hughjackman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommended UPS for Mac Mini? dmk1974 Mac mini 7 Aug 6, 2013 10:54 AM
TV Monitor or Computer Monitor for my Mac Mini? GlobalRaymond Mac mini 10 Apr 26, 2013 02:12 AM
Are there any recommended external USB 3.0 drive caddy's for the stock Mac Mini HDD? dmk1974 Mac mini 1 Oct 25, 2012 06:26 PM
Recommended Monitor dtechlogic Mac Pro 47 Aug 18, 2012 02:40 AM
List of recommended RAM for Mac Mini i7 patent10021 Mac mini 11 Jun 6, 2012 08:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC