Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:55 PM   #1
malonekev
macrumors newbie

4S Touch Screen not responding after water damage

Though it is painfully embarrassing for me to admit it, my beloved iPhone 4S met it's watery demise in the toilet yesterday. I immediately put it in a tupperware of rice, as is custom. However, I could not shut it completely down as you're supposed to because my touchscreen wouldn't work! The screen would light up perfectly fine, and Siri pops up when I hold down the button.

From what I can discern, everything else works as it should. As I said, Siri pops up, and the phone can be rebooted without a problem. It vibrates. It's still keeping track of time and connected to the internet. I was even able to restore it to factory and nearly restore my backed-up files (I'm currently sitting here, staring at the screen, with a message asking me to verify my iCloud password. Unfortunately, I can't, because the touchscreen doesn't work! Everything else about the process went just fine, all my apps are syncing back nicely).

However, there have been brief periods where the screen acts as normal. This usually occurs after a hard reboot. It's only happened twice, and for very short periods of time. I'm not 100% certain, but it looks like, during those brief periods, the phone worked up until I pressed the lock button.

As I said before, I restored my phone, wishing naively that this was a software problem and it would fix itself. I don't think this is the case now. This is, I'm thinking, a hardware problem, but I don't think I really have enough experience (Re: Zero) to properly diagnose this.

If anyone can help me out with this problem it would be much appreciated; I didn't realize how much I relied on my phone until this happened!

Also of note: for some reason, the flash on the camera has been on since the incident and won't turn off.
malonekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

That's an easy one.
Its a hardware problem caused by the water damage.
You cant fix shorted out electronics with software or just by restoring them obviously.
You can try bringing it to Apple or an iphone repair place to see what parts need to be replaced or pay Apple the replacement fee to get another 4S in exchange.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:39 PM   #3
kage207
macrumors 6502a

Please take it to Apple if you just want an iPhone again and pay it. If you want to risk a third party who claims they can fix it then go ahead, just note Apple will no longer help you after this.

If you replace it through Apple $199 or $149 (forget how older models pricing works). Though if you are eligible to look at an upgrade consider it as the price is roughly the same as getting it replaced through Apple.

This device is not a toy. It's a tool. It's expensive ($549, $649, etc. out of contract) for a new one. Also remember, that iPhones have had the highest demand hence the cost.

People say Apple could do X, Y and Z to do better for the customer. Remember they are a company and their number one goal is to make money. If you don't make money, you won't be in business for long so you've got to make as much as you can for as long as you can.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:19 PM   #4
malonekev
macrumors newbie

kage207-
I'm sorry if I gave off the impression that I'm a careless owner of my phone? This was kind of a freak incident; I was walking into the bathroom and my hand slipped when I was trying to put it in my pocket when I was sitting down :I I'm usually much more careful than that.

Applejuiced-
Alright, thanks for the advice! It's frustrating not being able to use my phone since I rely on it for so much. I'm probably just going to find a repair place and figure out what parts needed to be replaced; I figured there was some kind of corrosion in there or something and I was planning on seeing someone about it, but I figured I'd search for a cheaper fix online first.

Anyway, thanks for the help, both of you.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:45 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Good luck man.
If the repair place tries to charge you any more than $199 I'd just bring it to Apple and have them replace the whole phone for the same amount.
Sometimes its not worth putting good money into bad and with corroded electronics you might experience more issues with it down the road.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:20 AM   #6
F1 Fan
macrumors regular

Perhaps leave it drying for another couple of days? It could well be fried but if it has been working occassionally it may yet get better. I think the usual advice is bowl of rice, airing cupboard & 1 week.
F1 Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:17 PM   #7
malonekev
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Fan View Post
Perhaps leave it drying for another couple of days? It could well be fried but if it has been working occassionally it may yet get better. I think the usual advice is bowl of rice, airing cupboard & 1 week.
Hahaha! You were right!

I decided to leave it in the rice a few more days and, lo and behold, the touch screen is fully operational again

Thanks everyone for the help. I guess it just needed to dry longer.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:32 PM   #8
kage207
macrumors 6502a

Why not put it in your pocket or leave it outside the bathroom?

If I come off harsh, I'm sorry. Though I am tired of these threads. People need to learn that these phones are not cheap. They enrich your lives and hence why it is important to you and then yet again affects the price.

I'm glad your phone is working. Just ingrain in your head that when handling the device you should beware of what can harm your phone and even if it's silly take that extra couple seconds or thirty to practice safety for your phone.

I just do not tolerate it when people cannot own up to their own faults and then turn around and try to blame Apple. Keep in mind, if anything does go wrong make sure your first stop is the Apple Store to get the phone checked out because a lot of third party repair centers do not do a good job on phones. Just make an appointment before you go so you don't have to wait too long!

Always plan ahead!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:54 PM   #9
F1 Fan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by malonekev View Post
Hahaha! You were right!

I decided to leave it in the rice a few more days and, lo and behold, the touch screen is fully operational again

Thanks everyone for the help. I guess it just needed to dry longer.
Great news! Enjoy your extra time with it
F1 Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:51 PM   #10
aecarter87
macrumors newbie

Cool Rude?!

I'm sorry, but I could not refrain from commenting on this post. kage207, did you buy this phone? Are you being forced to pay for malonekev's replacement phone or repair costs? Mmmm... doubtful. You are extremely rude and by first impressions, arrogant. If you're so tired of these forums, perhaps you should find something else to do with your time. UGH! Being that rude is just unnecessary and ignorant. And that is all!

Good luck, malonekev!
aecarter87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2013, 06:13 PM   #11
nomad5150
macrumors newbie

Question Question for Malonekev and the other members of the forum - please

I've been following this thread in an effort to help someone who had a very similar experience. A friend's iPhone 4s (less an a month old - & no it really isn't my phone) fell in the toilet for a couple of seconds this past Sunday. I've had the phone sitting in a bag of rice within another bag of Damprite since then. I also tried the vacuum cleaner method and a can of compressed air. Luckily, the phone still works (turns on, holds a charge, turns off, receives call, etc..) The only is the touchscreen is only somewhat responsive. I have to tap the slider twice to get the phone to unlock. And similar action to turn the phone off. Although now when I unlock the phone Siri comes on and starts informing about whatever App happens to be selected at the time. For example, Text Message App is the first one - so when the phone is unlocked - Siri starts to read the first text message. Also, I can't seem to get the screen to advance to the second screen. Siri also mentions "Tap twice to select an App" or something like that.

All of that said, how long did you have to leave the phone in the bag of rice for. Also, I'm wondering is there a setting that somehow was activated as a result of all of this that's causing this behavior???
nomad5150 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting