Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 19, 2014, 04:23 PM   #1
imanidiot
macrumors 6502

Another Pages gripe

Perhaps I'm an idiot (well, well) but I have learned to make do with iWork Pages. There is, however, something I don't understand, and find very frustrating. In working with a long document (in my case a manuscript), if you decide that you want to utilize Find and Replace's Replace All function within SELECTED sections only, you can't do it. You can do it for the ENTIRE document, and you can do it if you want to keep hitting the key to correct each instance only, but risk carpal tunnel after a certain point. Why is this not an option? Surely I can't be the only one banging my (his, her, your) head on the desk in frustration about this. I know that the current itineration of Pages has taken its well deserved share of abuse, but I've gone back to using 4.1, and it would appear that this wasn't an option then, either. If you're designing software for Apple, is this that bloody hard to do?

I've spent all afternoon trying to Google/find a workaround for this, but apparently there is none. Because Apple knows that I don't need it.

End of rant.

Last edited by imanidiot; Aug 20, 2014 at 02:58 PM.
imanidiot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 02:55 PM   #2
liya1201
macrumors member

Hey man, I feel your pain. I wonder if anyone has submitted a "feature" request to Apple...
liya1201 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 03:03 PM   #3
imanidiot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by liya1201 View Post
Hey man, I feel your pain. I wonder if anyone has submitted a "feature" request to Apple...
I don't think it would do any good. Apple knows what we "really" need, which is for OSX to function as much like iOS as possible, because who would need something on a Mac to do what cannot be done on an iPhone?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 03:10 PM   #4
wordsworth
macrumors member

I'd be happy if Pages 4.1 refrained from providing the apostrophe I require but the wrong way round, as sometimes happens. That's a bad bug for a text man to contend with!

I miss ClarisWorks.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 05:03 AM   #5
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by liya1201 View Post
I have, but I don't think it did any good. It probably got buried with the "feature" requests.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 08:41 AM   #6
imanidiot
macrumors 6502

Update

For anyone interested, I believe I have found a workaround. I downloaded Apache OpenOffice (free!) and their writing program, OpenOffice Writer, permits Find and Replace All within any given selection, sensibly enough. OpenOffice Writer appears to be very MS Word-like in appearance and functionality, which is a mixed-blessing, but still, it's out there, it's free, and for me I think it will work. So, I may be done with Pages, which is a shame, because in the past few years I've gotten to like it for the most part (the earlier version, not the current mess), but it's editing functions leave a great deal to be desired, for me at any rate. Anyway I just thought I'd pass this on.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:21 AM   #7
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

I miss the richer featureset of Pages '09. I know Apple promised to resurrect the jettisoned features but it's been a long time now and we're still waiting.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store