Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windjunkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I've read on several occasions that a Mac is compatible with any monitor that has VGA, HDMI or DVI inputs. Not true as many monitor manufacturers have PC connectivity only. Can anyone that uses an external monitor with a Macbook Air please refer me to a $100-17 priced monitor? Note I use Office applications 99.9% of the time

Nov 28, 2010
located
I've read on several occasions that a Mac is compatible with any monitor that has VGA, HDMI or DVI inputs. Not true as many monitor manufacturers have PC connectivity only.
What kind of connection is this pleas?

Can anyone that uses an external monitor with a Macbook Air please refer me to a $100-17 priced monitor? Note I use Office applications 99.9% of the time
Any monitor you find on Amazon with a DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, DVI, VGA or HDMI input will work for that.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I've read on several occasions that a Mac is compatible with any monitor that has VGA, HDMI or DVI inputs. Not true as many monitor manufacturers have PC connectivity only. Can anyone that uses an external monitor with a Macbook Air please refer me to a $100-17 priced monitor? Note I use Office applications 99.9% of the time
I got an external for my desktop though I keep my desktop hooked up to my TV because it is my Plex Media Center device / online videos.

Now my external monitor sits around and is used when I need a monitor for my headless server whenever things go bad which does not happen very often.

Now I use this wonderful monitor ($150 after MIR) 23" and gives you great extra space.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059&Tpk=asus vh236

Cables:
http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-F...57235931&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+display+to+hdmi
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-Ca...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1357235967&sr=1-7&keywords=hdmi

Emrys

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Can't get resolution / display right on external monitor

Hi

Im not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes:

Ive a Samsung SyncMaster 2343nw which was working great with my Macbook. I recently upgraded to a MBA (which I love!) but now the resolution is stuck at 1920x1080, and is not crystal sharp. I use a minidisplay port to VGA.

Please help - the blurry screen is doing my head in !!

Any advice?

Thanks

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi

Ive a Samsung SyncMaster 2343nw which was working great with my Macbook. I recently upgraded to a MBA (which I love!) but now the resolution is stuck at 1920x1080, and is not crystal sharp. I use a minidisplay port to VGA.

Any advice?

Thanks

You may want to try DVI instead. I doubt vga supports such a resolution.

Nov 28, 2010
located
You may want to try DVI instead. I doubt vga supports such a resolution.

Hi

Any advice?

Thanks

Strangely enough, that monitor has a strange resolution (2048 x 1152) to begin with and it also only has analog inputs, no DVI or HDMI, but I guess in 2009 such interfaces were not that common and the CRTs I had in 2001 or 2002 were just anomalies. Or it is a Samsung thing.

Emrys

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
The strange thing is that it worked fine with my old Macbook and then a few months ago it stopped displaying full screen and lost its crispness.

I bought it because it was on sale due to it's lack of DVI / HDMI inputs, and VGA was fine.

Any advice?

Emrys

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
I know it sucks to pay for an app to run your monitor but it is a strange res.

Here's a link to a guy that did the same thing....

http://vapaus.org/syncmaster/

Thanks Batlogic, infortunately I tried that, and it still doesnt work - for some reason the app wont allow me to use the settings that the example gives - and now it only works on 11920x1080.

Sigh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.