Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 28, 2005, 05:43 PM   #1
slick316
macrumors 6502

When did they add PCI-X to PM's?...

Hi,

I was looking at the refurb stuff on Apples website and noticed a PowerMac G5 for $1650. It looked like a good price, but the specs bothered me:
Dual 2.0GHz G5
512MB Ram
80GB Hard drive
8x SuperDrive
Radeon 9600 (I think it had 128mb ram)
PCI-X/56K modem

I thought they added PCI express to the latest models, I mean, it will cost you a minimum $2500 for a brand new G5 PM with PCI-X, so $1650 for an older model with PCI-X sounded good. By the time I thought and went back to the website to look at it again, it was gone. I dont know if it was a mistake and it was pulled off the site, or if it was a great deal and someone ended up buying it or something.
Just wondering what you guys thought about it.
slick316 is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 05:49 PM   #2
dubbz
macrumors 68020

The dual PM's have had PCI-X for a long time.

Not to be confused with PCIe/PCI Express.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:03 PM   #3
slick316
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbz
The dual PM's have had PCI-X for a long time.

Not to be confused with PCIe/PCI Express.

Sorry to be dumb, but what is PCI-X? I know what PCI Express is, and thats what I thought PCI-X was.
slick316 is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:04 PM   #4
eva01
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eva01 Send a message via MSN to eva01 Send a message via Yahoo to eva01
PCI-X has been in the PM since day 1 i thought :/
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:05 PM   #5
solvs
macrumors 601

PCI-X has been a part of the PowerMacs ever since they went to G5s. Well, the high end ones. PCI-Express is not shipping in any current Mac. It's a replacement for AGP, not PCI. But yeah, the older dual 2GHz used to be the high end. You'd get a refurb previous generation dual 2. The new dual 2 is the low-end, so PCI and only 4 RAM slots.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:43 PM   #6
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by solvs
PCI-X has been a part of the PowerMacs ever since they went to G5s. Well, the high end ones. PCI-Express is not shipping in any current Mac. It's a replacement for AGP, not PCI. But yeah, the older dual 2GHz used to be the high end. You'd get a refurb previous generation dual 2. The new dual 2 is the low-end, so PCI and only 4 RAM slots.
Strictly speaking, PCI-Express is a replacement for both AGP and PCI, but most PC motherboard manufacturers cheaped out and only offer one or two PCI-e slots.

PCI-X is practically entirely worthless. The only thing I know of that uses PCI-X is Apple's Fibre Channel Card (for controlling the XServe RAID).
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 07:04 PM   #7
risc
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick316
Sorry to be dumb, but what is PCI-X? I know what PCI Express is, and thats what I thought PCI-X was.
PCI-X is 64 bit PCI running at 100/133 MHz they also have PCI-X 2 now which runs at 200/266 MHz. It's basically the standard PCI slot for high end workstations, and x86 x86-64 Server hardware. There are plenty of x86 PCI-X cards, I don't know if there are very many at all for OS X but I'd expect there to be FC adapters, SCSI cards, RAID cards, and I'd assume there would also be high end audio stuff running off PCI-X.
risc is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 07:13 PM   #8
risc
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaszmyr
Strictly speaking, PCI-Express is a replacement for both AGP and PCI, but most PC motherboard manufacturers cheaped out and only offer one or two PCI-e slots.

PCI-X is practically entirely worthless. The only thing I know of that uses PCI-X is Apple's Fibre Channel Card (for controlling the XServe RAID).
PCIe x 16 is for video - I've seen plenty of PCIe x 16 video cards here at work
PCIe x 1,2, or 4 is for normal cards - the only PCIe stuff I've had access to at work for these smaller slots is modems.

The statement about PCI-X being worthless might be true on the Mac, but it's completly wrong for the rest of the industry.

Last edited by risc; Sep 28, 2005 at 07:17 PM.
risc is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 07:30 PM   #9
Catfish_Man
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Catfish_Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by risc
PCIe x 16 is for video - I've seen plenty of PCIe x 16 video cards here at work
PCIe x 1,2, or 4 is for normal cards - the only PCIe stuff I've had access to at work for these smaller slots is modems.

The statement about PCI-X being worthless might be true on the Mac, but it's completly wrong for the rest of the industry.
You didn't read the thread, did you? PCI-E is NOT PCI-X.
Catfish_Man is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 07:44 PM   #10
risc
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish_Man
You didn't read the thread, did you? PCI-E is NOT PCI-X.
Actually I did. If you had taken the time to read ALL of the thread you would of noticed that I pointed out what PCI-X actually was. Then I went ahead and corrected the guy that said PCIe is an AGP/PCI replacement, when in fact there are 2 types of PCIe one for video and one for PCI replacement.

PCI-X is 64 bit PCI running at 100/133 MHz they also have PCI-X 2 now which runs at 200/266 MHz. It's basically the standard PCI slot for high end workstations, and x86 x86-64 Server hardware. There are plenty of x86 PCI-X cards, I don't know if there are very many at all for OS X but I'd expect there to be FC adapters, SCSI cards, RAID cards, and I'd assume there would also be high end audio stuff running off PCI-X.

But hey thanks for your usefull comments.

Last edited by risc; Sep 28, 2005 at 07:49 PM.
risc is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 08:13 PM   #11
slick316
macrumors 6502

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys. I am a Windows user for over 10 years, but new to the Mac world, I learn more and more everyday.

I needed that info because my friend wants to switch over to Mac's for his business and was inquiring about the PowerMac's and since I have two myself, he considers me the Mac expert, lol. So glad I have a forum like this to turn to for info.
slick316 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers