Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:54 AM   #1
NickH88
macrumors newbie

questions about buying an MBP

I have a few questions about buying an MBP:

1. Do the old models of MBPs see a price drop as new models approach, or once new models are officially announced with release dates? If so, how much of a decrease in price do they usually see?

2. Are the previous models (specifically customized builds) still available for purchase once the new models are released, and if so, for how long?

3. Does Apple offer any sort of trade-in program for MBP owners looking to upgrade to the newest model, or is the Apple Recycling Program the only way to "sort of" do this?

Thanks!
NickH88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:56 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickH88 View Post
Do the old models of MBPs see a price drop as new models approach, or once new models are officially announced with release dates? If so, how much of a decrease in price do they usually see?
No and no.

Quote:
Are the previous models (specifically customized builds) still available for purchase once the new models are released, and if so, for how long?
They become available in the Refurbished Mac section in the Apple Online Store.
To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:30 AM   #3
NickH88
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
They become available in the Refurbished Mac section in the Apple Online Store.
So only refurbished laptops (not brand new units) of the previous model are available once a new model is released?

---

Also...

Quote:
Does Apple offer any sort of trade-in program for MBP owners looking to upgrade to the newest model, or is the Apple Recycling Program the only way to "sort of" do this?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:34 AM   #4
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
So only refurbished laptops (not brand new units) of the previous model are available once a new model is released?
Once new models come out, and all "old" models are still not sold, you get a new "old" model at lower prices via the Refurbished Mac section in the Apple Online Store, since those brand new models of the old generation have to be sold too.

Quote:
Also...
Quote:
Does Apple offer any sort of trade-in program for MBP owners looking to upgrade to the newest model, or is the Apple Recycling Program the only way to "sort of" do this?
That I do not know, but I guess no.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:13 AM   #5
manni
macrumors member

I have a twist on this question and I wonder if anyone has a better memory than me for the process when macbooks get released.

Basically I am wanting to buy a new 15" macbook pro. I don't want the retina because I will need more storage and so will probably get a hi-res cmbp and upgrade to a good ssd in a year or so as prices fall.

My fear is if I buy a cmbp that in the summer they release say an updated cmbp with retina screen - highly unlikely i think but who knows. So it is tempting to wait until then.

So my question is the day apple announces the updates what happens with regard to the online store? Is it closed up or can I order stuff that day? And what about actual apple stores? I mean in particular if say apple drop the cmbp and go all retina and all non-upgradeable parts then I'll want to buy a high spec cmbp with hi-res screen to upgrade myself and thus last a few years. But if I wait until they announce the new catalogue will that apply instantly, like that same day one will no longer be able to get the cmbp or does it take a few days?

I have never followed it closely enough to know in the past and in this case apple's policy of surprises is frustrating since I really don't know what to buy.
manni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:28 AM   #6
NickH88
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Once new models come out, and all "old" models are still not sold, you get a new "old" model at lower prices via the Refurbished Mac section in the Apple Online Store, since those brand new models of the old generation have to be sold too.
Can you still get them customized or not?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:34 AM   #7
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Can you still get them customized or not?
You cannot get them customised, you have to find the model you want or wait for it to appear.

RAM and HDD/SSD are easily user upgradeable for less than what Apple wants.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:10 AM   #8
designs216
macrumors 65816

About the best you can do is use Refurb.me to notify when the closest config is available.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice