Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Rhino4412
macrumors newbie

Home Button Clicking Noise

I have an iPod 64gb 5th gen that I got for Christmas and noticed that the Home button makes a slight click when you first touch it. I am NOT talking about the click it makes when you press it. This click can be heard by just lightly tapping your finger on the button. I can best describe it as the outer home button that you touch is sitting slightly above whatever it is connected to on the iPod innards and it has a little in and out "play" before it engages the button. It is not loose or wiggly at all, it just makes this little click. My wife and I both have iPads and it doesn't happen on either one of them.
Anyone else experience this? Is it something to be concerned about?
Rhino4412 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

The membrane of the home button on the iPod touch 5 isn't the best. I wouldn't worry to much about it if it doesn't effect the way you use it. You could always go to the Genius Bar.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:36 PM   #3
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino4412 View Post
I have an iPod 64gb 5th gen that I got for Christmas and noticed that the Home button makes a slight click when you first touch it. I am NOT talking about the click it makes when you press it. This click can be heard by just lightly tapping your finger on the button. I can best describe it as the outer home button that you touch is sitting slightly above whatever it is connected to on the iPod innards and it has a little in and out "play" before it engages the button. It is not loose or wiggly at all, it just makes this little click. My wife and I both have iPads and it doesn't happen on either one of them.
Anyone else experience this? Is it something to be concerned about?
Every home button feels different, so chances are there are some other ipods out there that have a home button like that. Itís not anything to be concerned about, and youíll probably get used to it after a while
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:35 AM   #4
AbacabMR
macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same thing on mine. I did went to the Genius Bar with it and they told me it was normal.

The button has been described (in reviews) as being 'weak'. It is in fact 'weak' if you compare it to a 4th gen or other previous gen's.

The 'bounce back' on mine is fine so I don't expect anything wrong with it.

I think the button is not 'tied' to anything underneath and there is a slight 'give' or 'space' in its 'path'. So whether is sits at the 'bottom' or 'floats' near the top as being 'even' with the outer casing, is does move when slightly tapping on it.

At first I thought it made the device 'feel cheap' but I got used to it. In my view that's the only weak spot on the IPT5 which is otherwise fine. Too bad Apple couldn't make that part 'top notch'...
AbacabMR is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch