Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

W5UXH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
I am brand new to MAC and OS X, just picked up a MAC Mini and am at the bottom of the learning curve.

I noticed keychain "messages" when logging into some sites, so I searched to find what keychain is. I then found and opened keychain and there were at least two entries that were for sites / servers I had definitely not been to on this computer. I could show the passwords by using my account password to access the password entry.

One was a Whirlpool site where I had registered a new fridge some months ago (from a windows machine). The other was a private home server a friend has a user account for me on. I have not accessed that server in a long time, and then only from windows (never touched OS X before).

This gives me pause! How can keychain do this? Is this to be expected?

Thanks,

Chuck

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Did you import things from Windows to your new Mac? Keychain could have found some data and imported it. Other than that, I can't see how it got hold of it.

W5UXH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
No, no importing at all. I am not even at home with my Windows machine. We are on vacation and I brought a HDMI monitor and keyboard and mouse to use when I picked up the Mini. Very strange.

Did you import things from Windows to your new Mac? Keychain could have found some data and imported it. Other than that, I can't see how it got hold of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.