Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
I've been looking around all over the place, so I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I still wanted to throw this out there since I know a lot of you guys have experimented on your own and might have found a way.

I'm wondering whether there is an adaptor or app of some kind that will turn my iPad into an actual monitor (not necessarily a virtual desktop). The scenario I'm thinking is basically if I would be able to take my mini in my backpack, along with my iPad and bluetooth keyboard/trackpad, and be able to work from Starbucks or wherever.

I know, I know, the best option is a macbook. But I'm just wondering if it's possible with the iPad.

Thanks for reading!

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
I've been looking around all over the place, so I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I still wanted to throw this out there since I know a lot of you guys have experimented on your own and might have found a way.

I'm wondering whether there is an adaptor or app of some kind that will turn my iPad into an actual monitor (not necessarily a virtual desktop). The scenario I'm thinking is basically if I would be able to take my mini in my backpack, along with my iPad and bluetooth keyboard/trackpad, and be able to work from Starbucks or wherever.

I know, I know, the best option is a macbook. But I'm just wondering if it's possible with the iPad.

Thanks for reading!
maybe there is a better option, but when i go to my parents house and bring my mac mini i use splashtop on my ipad to control the mini and transfer any files around i need to

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Thanks for reading!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1474884/

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
maybe there is a better option, but when i go to my parents house and bring my mac mini i use splashtop on my ipad to control the mini and transfer any files around i need to

You could use Splashtop and remote into the Mac Mini and then just use the mouse and keyboard attached to the Mini to control stuff. I did it the other night on my Windows 7 computer that I use Splashtop on. You see the action of the mouse and whatever you are doing with the keyboard on the ipad's screen. Not the best solution but it would work. With that said, I also experienced significant lag on what I did wit the mouse and when it showed up on the ipad screen so that might be something to consider. I have a 4 year old dual core laptop that I use so that might be the issue.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012

Hmm, interesting. Seems like they have a "local mode" where you can use it with the mac on a closed wifi network. I'm downloading it now, will try it.

Thanks for the tip!

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
There is an old thread here that links to some guy working in a sound studio or something that found a way to do so. Just search for ipad as monitor in this forum.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Freaking amazing.

I downloaded splashtop 2 from the app store for like $5. I have no monitor attached to my mac mini, am on a closed wifi network with my mac, and am using only the iPad as my display.

There might be a tiny insy lag, but very negligible. I think it's because of wifi signal and/or the fact that the keyboard is bluetooth. Who knows. But it's so tiny it doesn't matter.

This is my perfect solution, thanks! I work from home as a virtual paralegal and often like to go out and work elsewhere to break up the scenery for a while. Now I can stuff my mini and iPad in my backpack and work at the coffee shop or Barnes and Noble if I can feel like it.

thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.