Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:07 AM   #1
lilface
macrumors member

League of Legends on iMac?

So I just ordered the new 27" iMac, specs are in my sig. I'm not new to gaming, and I'm not new to macs, but I will be new to gaming on a mac.

My question is obvious, any ideas or suggestions on how to play League of Legends on my new iMac? I know LoL currently doesn't support macs, but I'm sure there is a loop hole around this and just wanted to ask around.

Thanks a bunch for any input!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Michael Goff
macrumors 68030

I'm pretty sure there's a beta client for Mac, unofficial of course, called iLoL. I don't know anything about it, though.
Michael Goff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:23 PM   #3
ultra7k
macrumors regular

this was one of my fears going from a big time gaming rig to 2012 mbp 13".

you want to go to boompje.net and get it from there. download it, and let it do it's thing! it updates whenever it needs to (ie: new champs etc, basically whenever there is a new update for PC, mac gets it too), though I have yet to encounter problems with it not updating other than my client became too old...so a new one was made.

In the 2 months that I've been playing on my MBP the thing is pretty flawless. I've had to redownload the client once due to the first version I was using being out of date, but other than that it's fine.

If I can ramp up the settings and still get 45-55fps i'm sure your 27" will be excellent.

My only issue, it loads slower on my FASTER ssd than it did on my PC with a slower SSD, but oh well. I still load before 80% of the people that play LOL.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:09 PM   #4
cluthz
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to cluthz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra7k View Post
My only issue, it loads slower on my FASTER ssd than it did on my PC with a slower SSD, but oh well. I still load before 80% of the people that play LOL.
This is the real issue! When i play LOL with friends, we sit on Skype and teases the one that loads the slowest
We are usually the first ones anyway, but this is reputation and bragging rights!
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:52 AM   #5
ultra7k
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluthz View Post
This is the real issue! When i play LOL with friends, we sit on Skype and teases the one that loads the slowest
We are usually the first ones anyway, but this is reputation and bragging rights!
the game loaded blazing fast on my OCZ vertex 2, and is sluggish (though, like I mentioned, faster than most people still) on my intel 330.

oh well.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:21 PM   #6
lilface
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra7k View Post
this was one of my fears going from a big time gaming rig to 2012 mbp 13".

you want to go to boompje.net and get it from there. download it, and let it do it's thing! it updates whenever it needs to (ie: new champs etc, basically whenever there is a new update for PC, mac gets it too), though I have yet to encounter problems with it not updating other than my client became too old...so a new one was made.

In the 2 months that I've been playing on my MBP the thing is pretty flawless. I've had to redownload the client once due to the first version I was using being out of date, but other than that it's fine.

If I can ramp up the settings and still get 45-55fps i'm sure your 27" will be excellent.

This helps a lot, thanks! I was fearful of it being more complicated, so I'm a pretty happy camper.. now I just have to wait for the computer to finally ship and get here already lol
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:10 AM   #7
Sambo110
macrumors 68000

Dota 2 will be released on OS X before long, so you can play the much better game natively!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:51 PM   #8
MercenaryTX
macrumors newbie

I know this game is popular, but can't get a good feel for it. What is it like and how good is it? Is this game like Starcraft?
MercenaryTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:59 PM   #9
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercenaryTX View Post
I know this game is popular, but can't get a good feel for it. What is it like and how good is it? Is this game like Starcraft?
It's not as lengthy as StarCraft. And account levels don't matter.

You pick a champion (there are new ones every few weeks and a roster of free-to-play champions that changes every week), your champion starts from level 1 and you go off killing minions, towers, other champions, camps, etc. Max level is 18 and by then, it's usually pretty clear which side is winning and which losing. Each game usually lasts around 30-45 minutes. It's more dynamic than StarCraft because there are new champions added every few weeks. And there are like hundreds of them available right now.

That said, iLOL did not work well for me. I could never get menus and lobby chat to work. It was laggy beyond belief.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Stiss
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
I'm pretty sure there's a beta client for Mac, unofficial of course, called iLoL. I don't know anything about it, though.

Yup iLoL. I use it, it's really good for a fan made client. It is exactly like what you get on PC. It patches the game automatically and the client receives regular updates. It's just had a major update to make it much more stable.

It's highly recommended and boompje (the guy who made it) does an incredible job of patching any bugs new patches introduce, and he does it very quickly too.

Google iLoL or boompje.net to download. They also have a forum there for all your needs! Have fun.
Stiss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:57 PM   #11
lilface
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiss View Post
Google iLoL or boompje.net to download. They also have a forum there for all your needs! Have fun.
Thanks! I'll def have to check them out once my computer arrives!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:10 AM   #12
nnectw
macrumors newbie

Don't worry about your computer. I'm sure if I can play on my old mid-2009 13" MacBookPro with 2GB RAM, anything can handle League of Legends. And yes, you have to download iLoL from boompje.com under the mac section and then just let it download.
nnectw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games