Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:29 AM   #1
christy.
macrumors newbie

Question RE: following security steps DNS

I'm following step #4, Change your DNS servers Under "Which security steps should I take" article. I did sys pref-network-select network-advanced-clicked DNS tab. Next step states "if any DNS servers are greyed out after entering your admin password"... Here is the problem. My screen, the boxes, never gave me a chance to enter my Admin password.... where should I have done that? I don't know why enter my admin password never showed up. I'm using an imac OX S.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me ( :
christy. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:46 AM   #2
robbieduncan

A link to the article may help somewhat...
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:50 AM   #3
LPZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy. View Post
I'm following step #4, Change your DNS servers Under "Which security steps should I take" article. I did sys pref-network-select network-advanced-clicked DNS tab. Next step states "if any DNS servers are greyed out after entering your admin password"... Here is the problem. My screen, the boxes, never gave me a chance to enter my Admin password.... where should I have done that? I don't know why enter my admin password never showed up. I'm using an imac OX S.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me ( :
When you select Network from System Preferences, is the lock icon at the bottom of the Network preference pane in an unlocked position? If so, you should be able to modify the DNS addresses without entering your password. (In fact, I just did so, just to check.) If the icon shows a locked lock, then you need to click on it and enter your password in order to modify settings.
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:12 AM   #4
christy.
macrumors newbie

Thank you both for the info! And for the quick response! So nice!!!!
christy. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help