Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:58 PM   #1
pwfletcher
macrumors regular

Apple Outfoxed By Foxconn Smartwatch?

I thought Foxconn Worked for Apple? They announced a new Foxconn smartwatch today ... just before Apple is supposed to release the iWatch

Foxconn smartwatch

It looks more like a Nike Fuelband, but I can't believe that Apple is too happy about this. Maybe they did it because Apple is moving manufacturing back home to the US.

Last edited by pwfletcher; Jul 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
pwfletcher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwfletcher View Post
I thought Foxconn Worked for Apple?
Not exclusively no. Foxconn is, more aptly, a supplier (parts and labor) to Apple. Samsung is also a supplier (memory chips) to Apple.

Quote:
It looks more like a Nike Fuelband, but I can't believe that Apple is too happy about this.
1. That looks just like the Microsoft watch dumped after a couple of years. Apple's offering is rumored to have a flexible display.

2. IMO, the rumored iWatch may turn out to be a smoke screen.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Foxconn is a manufacturing company, they have multiple contractors including Apple, Samsung and Sony. You also realize that different parts of companies do different things, right? Samsung supplies displays to Apple but also makes cell phones, Apple isn't cutting ties with them for this, nor should they.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 09:26 PM   #4
pwfletcher
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Foxconn is a manufacturing company, they have multiple contractors including Apple, Samsung and Sony. You also realize that different parts of companies do different things, right? Samsung supplies displays to Apple but also makes cell phones, Apple isn't cutting ties with them for this, nor should they.
I know ... but I assume they would have some sort of non compete agreement.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 09:29 PM   #5
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwfletcher View Post
I know ... but I assume they would have some sort of non compete agreement.
Apple doesn't make a watch. You are suggesting they have an agreement in place that prevents Foxconn/Hon Hai from making anything that Apple might make in the future at some point. To me that sounds ridiculous.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Tom G.
macrumors 65816

If the Smartfitty watch shown in the video is what you're talking about, then it doesn't impress me at all, and neither Apple nor Google have anything to worry about.

I say this as an owner of a Pebble Smartwatch, the only true smart watch out there.
Tom G. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 09:34 PM   #7
pwfletcher
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G. View Post
If the Smartfitty watch shown in the video is what you're talking about, then it doesn't impress me at all, and neither Apple nor Google have anything to worry about.

I say this as an owner of a Pebble Smartwatch, the only true smart watch out there.
Ooops ... you're right. I posted the wrong link ... I fixed it now. I wasn't discussing the SmartFitty, I was discussing the Foxconn entry. It just seems odd that they are now transitioning from a supply company for others to making their own products.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 04:00 PM   #8
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
To me that sounds ridiculous.
Even more than ridiculous. It's nonsensical. Nobody would be able to partner with anybody since any company can potentially get into any market segment at any time.

The fact that Apple and Samsung are partners (in that Apple buys components from Samsung) means that no such agreement exists.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion