Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamj575

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Tennessee
I am thinking of getting one of these models and am aware of the gpu failure. I do have a couple of questions though. is there anymore liklihood that one model will stand a greater chance of failure over the other model? and if I should be able to verify that one has been repaired did the repair actually fix the issue or is it destined to fail also....thanks...

adamj575

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Tennessee
dang, I see all kinds of comments about the 8600gt m...but no one know the difference about it in these two mac models?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The early 2008 and late 2007 machines really don't differ. The fact that the machine has been repaired doesn't matter, it's likely to fail again. A colleague's lasted about 7 months after repair before it failed again.
It makes no sense at all to buy one of these, regardless of whether it's a 2007 or 2008.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
All 8600M cards are prone to fail, due to the solder used in their manufacture, so it doesn't matter which generation you get. Equally, the replacement cards are just as bad, as the problem wasn't fixed until the 9xxx series.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I own an Early 2008 2.4 Penryn MBP and the only problem i have had is the fans failed at around the 3-1/2 year point, however it did spend over two years in the Middle East sucking up dust and it has over 35K hours runtime. This being said i would not recommend, as too many have had issue with GPU failure, and as others have stated repair does not guarantee any long term fix.

My own Early 2008 has served me more than well enough and is now basically retired, i would keep the 07 machine a little longer, save some and buy a MBP that is not afflicted with the Nvidia GPU issue. There is now no longer any support from Apple, if the Logic Board fails you will be on your own, with a large bill...

If anyone has a MBP with the Nvidia issue, the only thing you can do to extend the lifecycle is monitor the temp and keep the GPU as cool as reasonably possible, for this i recommend UltraFan and elevating the MBP

Last edited:

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
I have a 4,1 MBP. I've had no issues with the GPU and have ran it hard for many years. I would get the early 08 b/c of the fact that the trackpad works with gestures.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I have a 4,1 MBP. I've had no issues with the GPU and have ran it hard for many years. I would get the early 08 b/c of the fact that the trackpad works with gestures.

Be mindful we have both been lucky, i had five Motherboard`s replaced on my corporate Dell for the very same reason Nvidia 8600m GT GPU failure, exactly the same component IT dept eventually ordered me a new machine, as they stopped asking Dell to replace the effected systems as the failure rate of the replacement boards was horrific.

Search the forum for the 8600 GPU thread, you will find many have not been so lucky with similar horror stories like Dell`s. My own MBP 4.1 has never presented any such issue, equally personally i perceive the risk of buying a used 4.1 too high as a Logic Board replacement may be as much as the value of the machine.

Last edited:

adamj575

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Tennessee
Well I was on the fence between these and a 2010 MacBook...this has all but made my decision for me...thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.