Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:28 PM   #51
joneill55
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye206 View Post
Sad to see Microsoft can't seem to pull together a better showing. I'm just surprised they keep missing the mark just enough to get left behind.

Just an observation and comment on MS.

Love seeing that Apple continues to keep and expand their share of the market. I have high hopes that recent changes at Apple will make 2013 a great year.

Have you used one of the phones running MS crappy OS?? Missing the mark doesn't even begin to describe the situation! How bout.........SUCKS!
joneill55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:29 PM   #52
Joesmith13245
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I'm suprised there is only .2% different between Apple and Samsung during the height of the iPhone rollout.

More suprising is on the OS side Google actually gained more subscribers vs Apple.

Am I reading this right?
Joesmith13245 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:30 PM   #53
tzeshan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Whilst Apple no doubt win hands down when it comes to profit per device. We've got no way of knowing Androids income as its split.

You've got the handset profit, that can be worked out the same way you work out iPhone handset profits, but then you've got the licensing side of things.

Google make a fair bit from licensing their 'GAPPS' service in Android, then you've got the appstore, search revenue via android handsets, etc.

Is it as high as Apples? Nobody can answer that. Not you nor I. We can only go on speculation. For example, a year ago Oracle claimed Google make $10m a day just from handset activations.
All these companies are public companies. How much they make is full disclosed in their earnings reports.
tzeshan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:31 PM   #54
stevedun
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
We are the 18.5%
stevedun is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:31 PM   #55
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye206 View Post
I don't think GoldenJoe is that far off. I know people just like what he describes. Not everyone is a teen, 20 or 30 something user. I think the older users (50+) that are not tied to surfing non-stop get these for very limited use or are up-sold into a smart phone when they really don't need it or use it.
For everyone person you know I know someone that didn't. Opinions are one thing. Facts are another. And if people really believe that most people who own Android is because they were "coerced or whatever word you want to use is naive. If you think that everyone (or most) that own iPhone WANTED the iPhone vs the same - just wanted a phone that could play youtube and get email/web - then you're also naive.

There are probably thousands upon thousands that ultimate don't care either way. Maybe they bought based on looks. Screen size. Cost at the time. Special offer. What their sister, brother, mother, son had without even giving it a second thought. Maybe some just bought the iPhone because it's well known and is less confusing (less models). Maybe some bought Android because they simply didn't want Apple. So many reasons - which is why blanket statements like the one I and you responded to - are in my opinion - silly.
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:33 PM   #56
tzeshan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesmith13245 View Post
I'm suprised there is only .2% different between Apple and Samsung during the height of the iPhone rollout.

More suprising is on the OS side Google actually gained more subscribers vs Apple.

Am I reading this right?
It is true. I have asked several SIII users. The single most important reason they choose it is the screen size. Although I don't think a big phone is really beneficial to them in the long run, their are many people attracted to big screen. There is no doubt about it.
tzeshan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:37 PM   #57
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
And if people really believe that most people who own Android is because they were "coerced or whatever word you want to use is naive.
Luckily, nobody said that in this thread.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:40 PM   #58
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
Luckily, nobody said that in this thread. You just made up a strawman.
Luckily I put it in quotes and also said whatever word someone wanted to use.

"Unfortunately, because they were up-sold, and not genuinely interested in the platform"

Now that might not read as being coerced. But it does imply they were talked into something they didn't want or think they wanted.

But again - I didn't state someone said it. So no strawman. But you stating I made up a strawman - is in fact, a straw man. LOL
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:43 PM   #59
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
Companies are not in business to get market share. They are in business to make a profit. Where's the data on comparing smartphone profits? That's the only thing that really matters to a company.
Thank you for saying this. I think you're 100% correct. Since when does Ferrari want to have 100% market share of total car sales? They don't. They want to make a profit, and that means only a slim margin of total sales and an even slimmer margin of its segment.

The same is true of Apple. They just want more profit, and sometimes that means not have all of the market share.
somethingelsefl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:44 PM   #60
Daws001
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Microsoft can't seem to gain any momentum. I think it's interesting that despite the larger # of Android users, iOS owns the lion's share of mobile web browsing. What are all those Android users with ginormous screens doing with them? I'd be curious to see other popular usage breakdowns across the platforms like Youtube, Netflix, Twitter, etc.
Daws001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:44 PM   #61
LagunaSol
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
There's no reason Microsoft can't make the same gains as Android.
Sure there is. Microsoft can't give its stuff away for free.
LagunaSol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:45 PM   #62
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Luckily I put it in quotes and also said whatever word someone wanted to use.

"Unfortunately, because they were up-sold, and not genuinely interested in the platform"

Now that might not read as being coerced. But it does imply they were talked into something they didn't want or think they wanted.

But again - I didn't state someone said it. So no strawman. But you stating I made up a strawman - is in fact, a straw man. LOL
I was referring to the whole sentence. Not one word.

"And if people really believe that most people who own Android is because..."

Nobody said anything about "most people who own Android" in this conversation.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:46 PM   #63
TMay
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Carson City, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
You have to compare apples to apples. Android is on a lot of handsets. Apple only makes a few. Retention to the OS is more important then, right?

If that's the case - (http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/...htc_at_39.html)

HTC, Motorola and Samsung combined (retention) is 92 percent. Granted - they make phones that are not Android.

So you can't really compare.

I would say both OSes are doing very well in keeping loyalty.
That's quite a stretch to come up with such an argument. You may be singular in your metric, but far be it from me to spend time trying to refute it.
TMay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:48 PM   #64
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
I was referring to the whole sentence. Not one word.

"And if people really believe that most people who own Android is because..."

Nobody said anything about "most people who own Android" in this conversation.
No. True. What he said was "A very large portion of those devices are with people who would have otherwise owned a "dumbphone" like an LG enV or a Samsung Gleam"

Going from most to a very large portion is splitting hairs. Feel free. I'm certainly not going to defend my comment - which has value - to you any further.
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:48 PM   #65
absurdamerica
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
As Apple as done, and they done it with 1-2 phones. Also, Apple is keeping up with Samsung with only 1-2 phones and is keeping up with Android with 1-2 phones. How many phones does Samsung have and how many phones are now running Android?
In the US Market, where boutique and luxury items sell better than overseas...
absurdamerica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:51 PM   #66
KdParker
macrumors 68030
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
For everyone person you know I know someone that didn't. Opinions are one thing. Facts are another. And if people really believe that most people who own Android is because they were "coerced or whatever word you want to use is naive. If you think that everyone (or most) that own iPhone WANTED the iPhone vs the same - just wanted a phone that could play youtube and get email/web - then you're also naive.

There are probably thousands upon thousands that ultimate don't care either way. Maybe they bought based on looks. Screen size. Cost at the time. Special offer. What their sister, brother, mother, son had without even giving it a second thought. Maybe some just bought the iPhone because it's well known and is less confusing (less models). Maybe some bought Android because they simply didn't want Apple. So many reasons - which is why blanket statements like the one I and you responded to - are in my opinion - silly.
Not completely silly.

Over the holiday season in the US, I was repeated pushed towards an android phone when I specifically said I was looking for an Windows phone for my kid's upgrade (she loves her Windows Phone) in several Verizon stores.

Luckily I did some research online so I could inform the the sales staff of the discounts and price of the phones I was looking to buy. If I hadn't I would have walked out thinking that there weren't any Windows Phones for sale at all.

This happened at several stores, so I believe there is some truth to android phones being pushed over Windows and iPhones.
__________________
16g iPhone5s Space Grey; 16g iPhone5 White;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:51 PM   #67
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rendevouspoo View Post
iPhones can be gotten cheaper, or at the same price, than the Samsung phones.
Not really... Seeing as Samsung also makes low end phones, such as the Samsung Galaxy Y, which are probably more common in lower income areas.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:51 PM   #68
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooMan2011 View Post
That's a lot lower than I thought... Most anyone I see walking around on their phone has an iPhone.
There's a phone in my car that is used when I know I'll be home late because I'm stuck in a traffic jam. And once it was used when my car broke down. It would be one of the 81.5% if I was in the USA. But you wouldn't see me walking around with it. It's in the glove compartment of my car.

It also was considerably cheaper than an iPhone.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:54 PM   #69
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMay View Post
That's quite a stretch to come up with such an argument. You may be singular in your metric, but far be it from me to spend time trying to refute it.
Not really an argument. I was merely pointing out that the OPs comment doesn't hold water in and of itself to me. The statement about retention vs Android. You simply can't tell.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Not completely silly.

Over the holiday season in the US, I was repeated pushed towards an android phone when I specifically said I was looking for an Windows phone for my kid's upgrade (she loves her Windows Phone) in several Verizon stores.

Luckily I did some research online so I could inform the the sales staff of the discounts and price of the phones I was looking to buy. If I hadn't I would have walked out thinking that there weren't any Windows Phones for sale at all.

This happened at several stores, so I believe there is some truth to android phones being pushed over Windows and iPhones.
Ok - but you didn't get an Android phone, right? My point isn't what is being pushed or not. My point was that a) you can't make a blanket statement about the purchasing habits of people and b) that people aren't necc buying Android because they don't care vs iPhone users that do (as to which phone they own).

Both platforms have a a wide spectrum of users and how they came to their decision.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:54 PM   #70
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
No. True. What he said was "A very large portion of those devices are with people who would have otherwise owned a "dumbphone" like an LG enV or a Samsung Gleam"
Only if you take that quote out of context. "Those devices" was a reference to the previous sentence, not all Android devices.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:56 PM   #71
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Didn't Steve Jobs say he wanted to get 2-3 % marketshare ? Seems to me he would be pretty happy.
Original goal was selling 1 percent of all phones (worldwide), which would have been about 10 million phones per year at the time.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:02 PM   #72
ericinboston
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I have and love my iPhone...but the % would be a LOT lower if Apple/Carriers hadn't introduced the 99cents older iPhone and $99 older iPhone models.

Not only has Apple increased it's %, but it has really kind of destroyed the 2nd hand market for a used iPhone...why would someone buy a used iphone for $75 from a friend when they can get 2 brand new ones (with warranty) for a buck or even $99?

I have heard and read that a lot of folks are switching from the iPhone to the Androids...or buying Androids in the first place...to avoid the Apple-lock-in-monopoly and for easier/expanded features. When my contract is up this year, I may also dump my 4S for an Android...I'm very sick of the iTunes-never-ending-reliance-and-upgrade.
__________________
1st computer: Apple //e 1983-1992
Now: Lenovo E430 i7, 4GB; Thinkpad W500 8gig, 128DG SSD and 500GB SATA drive; Thinkpad W520 24GB, 2 128GB SSDs, Mac Mini Core 2 3gig, 500gig
ericinboston is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:02 PM   #73
KdParker
macrumors 68030
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Sure there is. Microsoft can't give its stuff away for free.
WindowsPhone OS is pretty good.

They just need to find a good price point and an under sale Apple and Android for awhile to get some traction. Can't see people paying $200 to 'try out' the latest flagship Windows phone.
__________________
16g iPhone5s Space Grey; 16g iPhone5 White;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:04 PM   #74
M-O
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rendevouspoo View Post
iPhones can be gotten cheaper, or at the same price, than the Samsung phones.
the iPhone 4 is $450 off contract. Samsung has android phones as low as $80 off contract.
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:24 PM   #75
imacintosh.0
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Original goal was selling 1 percent of all phones (worldwide), which would have been about 10 million phones per year at the time.
Boy how far we've come! Go AAPL!
imacintosh.0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft Brings 'Office Mobile for Office 365 Subscribers' to iPhone MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 213 Aug 19, 2014 08:05 PM
Carrier: Any T-Mobile subscribers use iPad internationally? Harmonious Zen iPad 0 Apr 25, 2014 10:06 PM
Need suggestions for mobile phone choice for mobile company? Imola Ghost iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Jun 28, 2013 06:17 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC