Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

comScore today released the results of its monthly rolling survey of U.S. mobile phone users for the September-November period, finding that 18.5% of U.S. mobile phone subscribers are now using an iPhone, up 1.4 percentage points from the June-August period. Samsung continues to lead the market at 26.9% on 1.2 percentage point growth, while the remainder of the top five vendors all lost share.

comscore_nov12_manufacturers.jpg

Apple overtook LG for the second spot in last month's survey, and solidified its lead in the latest data on continued growth paired with a small decline by LG.

In looking only at smartphones, which now account for 53% of the U.S. mobile market, Android has continued to expand its lead and now holds 53.7% of the market. The iPhone 5 launch has, however, allowed Apple to continue its growth and the company now holds 35% of the smartphone market as the fall of RIM and Microsoft have increasingly turned the smartphone market into a two-horse race.

comscore_nov12_platforms.jpg

Notably, comScore's data tracks installed user base rather than new handset sales, making it more reflective of real-world usage but slower to respond to shifting market trends than some other studies.

Article Link: 18.5% of U.S. Mobile Phone Subscribers Now Using iPhones

FooMan2011

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
That's a lot lower than I thought... Most anyone I see walking around on their phone has an iPhone.

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
That's a great number. I live in a lower-income area where very few people can afford iPhones so this number is a pleasant surprise.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Hopefully iPhone Sales will continue to grow. Eventually they have to lower the price. I think that is what the less complex uni body design on the iPhone 5 is supposed to do. That and the promise of more colours and sizes may appeal to more users in the future.

Wait on second though you can get some iPhones on a plan for free and the used iPhone market is robust.

iOS is due for a face lift though.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
iPhones can be gotten cheaper, or at the same price, than the Samsung phones.

That's just simply not true. Or at least depends on what you mean.

You can get cheaper, older iPhones than new Samsung phones. There are also new Samsung phones that are more expensive than the new iPhone 5. But the new iPhone 5 is more expensive than some of the new Samsung phones (e.g. Samsung GS3).

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Amazing how Google and Samsung have kept (and gained) their share. Truly a force to be reckoned with..

As Apple as done, and they done it with 1-2 phones. Also, Apple is keeping up with Samsung with only 1-2 phones and is keeping up with Android with 1-2 phones. How many phones does Samsung have and how many phones are now running Android?

tzeshan

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2009
That's a lot lower than I thought... Most anyone I see walking around on their phone has an iPhone.

According to the real world usage model, a lot of mobile phone owners use their phones infrequently. OTOH, people choosing the iPhone are active users.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America

That's because iPhones are consistent and recognizable, while Android phones are all just clumped together and no one knows the difference at first glance.

It's part of what makes these "ANDROID has more marketshare than iPhone!!!1!" articles all the more misleading.

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Game of Duopoly, anyone?

Apple wants a triopoly. The issue isn't the handset, it's the ecosystem. It was the windows ecosystem, not windows that took down apple in the 90s (and just a little bit of anti-competitive practices).

'Divide and conquer' is what Apple wants, as well as extending the ecosystem beyond a handset to computer, tablet and TV is. Google/Android is less an issue in the fragmentation of handsets specs OEM and carrier add-ons. However Samsung is capable of taking on Apple directly, and Google with Motorola could if actually make a plan.

Apple wants an Amazon or a Windows/Nokia/Surface/xBox solution that dilutes the Samsung and Google threat. Apple is quite happy competing in a world where it gets the high spend 25% of the market, because no one can compete with it's efficiencies. If Samsung was unchallenged, it could attack the high end by subsidizing it with the (slightly less) low end, and have the mass to shift the power center of the 'mobile ecosystem' to itself. But with a bevy of competitors at the low end of a triopoly or greater space, no one ecosystem can establish that broad base lever point to lock in the long term.

In other words... sucky cheap phones/pads/computers drive customers to change, not upgrade to less sucky. Apple wants to be that change.

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC

I think the perception is that so many have iPhones because so many phones look like iPhones. Many times I think, "Oh, they have an iPhone too" only to realize a few minutes later that it's a Samsung. It's hard to tell when it's in a case.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
iPhones can be gotten cheaper, or at the same price, than the Samsung phones.

That's only true with subsidies on the major carriers (where the iPhone's smartphone share is 50%+). Prepaid plans with feature phones and low end Android phones can be considerably cheaper.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
There's nothing illegal about it though, is there?

There's no reason Microsoft can't make the same gains as Android.

What would be illegal is if Apple and Samsung conspired to "split" the market. Since they are actively suing each other, it would be difficult to prove that.

Android is getting entrenched right now. The biggest threat to Android is probably Samsung deciding to fork it to have greater control over it.

----------

Apple wants an Amazon or a Windows/Nokia/Surface/xBox solution that dilutes the Samsung and Google threat. Apple is quite happy competing in a world where it gets the high spend 25% of the market, because no one can compete with it's efficiencies. If Samsung was unchallenged, it could attack the high end by subsidizing it with the (slightly less) low end, and have the mass to shift the power center of the 'mobile ecosystem' to itself. But with a bevy of competitors at the low end of a triopoly or greater space, no one ecosystem can establish that broad base lever point to lock in the long term.

Exactly. That also partly explains the HTC deal. It is a small weapon in the Samsung battle. However, I'm not sure if Microsoft is capable of being the threat that neutralizes Android. Nokia actually did have a fairly large market outside the US with Symbian. It was popular in emerging markets (where Android now dominates), but their "Windows Phone or Bust" strategy has done the latter.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Pricing is definitely Apple's next steps in order to gain further market of iPhone use. £500 is too much for most people to buy a phone, no matter how many precious materials went into making it or how good the iOS experience is. They need to drop the iPhone to about £350 to 450 in my opinion. With the rumours of two sizes of iPhone this year, they should do 3.5 at £350 and £399 and 4" at £450 and £500 being the top price for an iPhone.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Game of Duopoly, anyone?

Especially if you look at profits share:

asymco_q112_mobile_phone_profits.jpg

This graph is a bit old though, and Samsung and Apple smartphones are even more popular now. While the graph says Samsung and Apple combined account for 99% of the industry's profits, a more recent analysis now puts them at 106%, meaning all other manufacturers combined are in negative profits.

EDIT: Oh, looks like you were talking about iOS+Android, not Apple+Samsung.

samwise

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2005
North Salt Lake, Utah
That's just simply not true. Or at least depends on what you mean.

You can get cheaper, older iPhones than new Samsung phones. There are also new Samsung phones that are more expensive than the new iPhone 5. But the new iPhone 5 is more expensive than some of the new Samsung phones (e.g. Samsung GS3).

It can be, but if you negate the carrier discounts, Best Buy are selling a non-contract S3 at $699.99. Assuming that is a base-spec 16Gb version, that is $50 more than the base iPhone 5 without carrier discounts.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Sad to see Microsoft can't seem to pull together a better showing. I'm just surprised they keep missing the mark just enough to get left behind.

Just an observation and comment on MS.

Love seeing that Apple continues to keep and expand their share of the market. I have high hopes that recent changes at Apple will make 2013 a great year.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
But Apple is SO DOOMED!

How can people be still buying phones from such a DOOMED company?

/s

Only if you read the drivel posted on MacRumors by members who hate the company and wish for its demise. You meant it as sarcasm but these types actually believe it and pray for it on a daily basis. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.